“Comfy bed, decent views”

Hampton Inn Manhattan-Chelsea
Ranked #163 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
City, NJ
“Comfy bed, decent views”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This is a review from an overnight hotel stay for me and my girlfriends for GNO. There was a construction thing going on during check-in. The staff were nice during check-in, check-out, and everything in between. The city view were of the buildings across, and had 2 queen beds. The hot breakfast the next morning were delicious, and yummy. The hallways were a bit narrow. The beds were comfy, perfect a place to just crash. The hotel is close by to many shops and restaurants (ramen spot and bubble tea spot, some seafood spot, Dougnut plant). I would recommend this place :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
rsolis, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, May 8, 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Turkish first
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This hotel is an excellent value for the money, spotlessly clean, professional staff, nice amenities. The toiletries are top notch and the complimentary breakfast is very appetizing and nutritious. The bed linens are fresh and immaculate, and the beds are comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I checked into the hotel on 9th March expecting Hilton hospitality but it turns out that these guys are hungry for your money. When i checkd in the normal proceedure was followed and my card was swiped .
I had made the booking through Expedia but the hotel continued deducting money from my account beyond the the charges that were agreed upon... way beyond like almost 50% more.

I had to make reservations for an extension of stay but now i would recommend folks to stay out the hilton group if this is how the other Hilton hotels are here.
If you go to the reception the front office manager would just rebut you asking you to meet the manager despite the fact that she authorized the amount. and these people have no grievance redressal forum or number.

Stay away from Hampton Inn..please. This is a caveat

Room Tip: Dont get yourself a reservation here please.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank VIKRAMJITNATH
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was a great choice for our family trip to New York.
There were 4 of us, my husband and I and a 16 yr old son and 14 yr old daughter.
The first night, they were over booked, so we had to squeeze into a King and a roll away, but right away the next morning, they moved our room to what we had selected, a 2 Queen room.
First, I would recommend flying into and out of Newark. There is a train to and from the airport which cost us about 45 bucks. It will take you from Newark to Penn Station, which you can then take a quick taxi from Penn station to your hotel. (after you figure out the subway, you could take the subway, but the first time, I'd take a taxi the 10 or so blocks with luggage.) Returning to the airport, same thing, leave from Penn Station (new york, on 34rd) and get right to Newark. Much cheaper than a taxi with the tolls. Our taxi from JFK was over $65 I think.
This hotel is a great value. I picked it for 2 reasons and realized there were many more. First, the 2 queen beds. In this price/quality range, this was one of the only hotels I found with this size bed. With 2 teens this was so important. The rooms are small, New York rooms, but this worked out OK for us. I would contact the hotel a few days before you get in to make SURE they have your number of people (they said that our reservation from Travelosity said 2 people and that is why they switched us to a King) But they were accomodating, and moved our bags from one room to the other while we were gone.
Everything was clean and beds were comfortable, noise from others (we were probably the noisy ones) was non existent. There are only 8 rooms per floor and 2 elevators, so everything was convenient.
The second reason I booked the Hampton was the breakfast. We saved a few hundred dollars by filling up before we ventured out for the day on the great breakfast. Eggs, meat, breads, oatmeal, waffles, yogurt, fruit and all drinks are complimentary. Coffee, tea and hot choc were available all day and night, as well as the fresh baked cookies in the evening.
One night, we played cards and watched Jimmy Fallon late at night, so we came to the breakfast area and had
Location also proved to be an excellent choice. We were right on 6th, which is the heart of Manhattan. 2 subway lines were right next to our hotel and we used them often. I would recommend buying the subway 7 day unlimited pass as we used it 8-12 times per day to get where we wanted to go. It was 30 degrees F in March, so we walked quite a bit, but it was cold enough to use the subway as much as we could.
Overall, this hotel exceeded my expectations. If I were one to stay in the same place twice (I'm not) but I would book this place again. It was good for a family, seeing New York for the first time.

Room Tip: make sure to confirm your room choice a few days before if not booking directly
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank loruhlin
rsolis, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and staying with us. I do apologize for the room type not being what you requested the first night. I'm glad we were able to move you the next day.
Chicago, United States
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Staff service is great. Hotel location was good and close to restaurants (they provide a list). very clean and quiet room. breakfast was good for the hotel, do not expect a salad buffet.coffee is always available.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

rsolis, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Also glad to hear it was centrally located. Please come back and see us again.
Dix Hills,New York
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I stayed at here..overnight. The price was just right (used Trivage)..the location perfect for what we wanted to do. When we arrived ,we did pay aliitle extra to valet the car..we attempted to park the car in a local garage, but the place was seedy and pretty creepy. Our check-in was easy, pleasant..we had a room with 2 queen beds. The room itself was clean, tidy,had just the basics.The beds ample for average size people..in the lobby there was a 24 hr coffee,tea,hot chocolate station, and in the morning breakfast was offered, we thought a pretty good variety. All in all, if you're in the area for business and /or pleasure, this is the perfect spot..without breaking the bank

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
rsolis, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad to know that it did not break the bank.
Virginia Beach, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have always enjoyed staying at the Hampton Inn. One of my favorite features is the coffee and tea stand that is available 24 hours per day. The rooms are clean and the Hampton Inn Chelsea, NYC, was conveniently located within a 4-block walk of my destination. It made my stay stress-free.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

rsolis, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Glad to know the hotel was convenietly located.