“The sea lions were worth the price of admission”
Review of Central Park Zoo

and up
New York Central Park Scavenger Hunt Adventure
Ranked #235 of 1,208 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Oasis of wildlife in downtown Manhattan where visitors can encounter more than 1,400 animals in a variety of habitats, including a tropical rain forest to view rare birds and icy Antarctica to view penguins and other chilly creatures.
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We took our 14 month old granddaughter yesterday -- and all of us, grandparents, mother, and baby -- had a wonderful day. The zoo is small -- if you want big (lions, elephants, giraffes), come up to the Bronx Zoo (but the Children's Zoo is closed). So we managed to see everything in a few hours. The penguins were delightful, the bird house was amazing, beautiful birds sweeping right over our heads. The monkeys were cute and active.

The best part was the feeding of the sea lions. They put on quite a performance! The young trainers were very good, and the sea lions seemed to be enjoying performing. This was worth the price of admission (half price for seniors -- there was no line buying tickets).

Our baby loved the children's zoo. She got to pet the sheep and saw the cow and the goats and the pigs.

I also enjoyed the landscaping. The flowers were beautiful.

Then we walked over to Pain Quotidien (in the park) and sat outside for lunch. A good day.

1  Thank Nancy H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,900)
All reviews
in 27 reviews
"the hustle and bustle"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed August 23, 2014

The zoo is quite small, but rather beautiful. Only took an hour and half to walk around the whole thing, and that was at a very leisurely pace, but it was worth the money. The sea lion feeding especially is worth seeing if you can be there at the right time.

2  Thank Matthew C
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

We visited this afternoon, lovely little zoo with what look like good conditions for the animals. The price is great value especially for new York.

Our guidebook said allow 2 hours for a visit. You would really have to fly around to get it all seen properly in 2 hours.

We had a problem trying to buy advance tickets online, I called the zoo and explained the problem. The young lady I spoke to said she would call me back. She must have tried when I was on the subway.

I mentioned the problem at the ticket office when I arrived expecting to get blank looks but no, she asked my name and confirmed that the person I'd spoken to had called down and given my name. They honoured the advance purchase discount. Great service that there is no way you would get in the UK.

The only thing I felt wasn't great value was the food in the cafe, tiny portions at big portion prices, but it's supporting a good cause so I don't mind in the least.

3  Thank darrenhowe
Reviewed August 21, 2014

The central park zoo is small, I mean really small. We saw the entire zoo in about 20-25 minutes. There was really nothing exciting to see except for sea lions and penguins. My kids were very disappointed because they were hoping to see big cats and large animals, but we saw nothing of the sort, maybe they were all sleeping and hiding, I dont know. It was really boring, we probably wont pay the zoo another visit when we return to NYC.

1  Thank Jackie K