“Clean place to stay if you want to see Chinatown.”
Review of World Hotel

World Hotel
Ranked #455 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This hotel was VERY clean. This counts for a lot for me, especially in NYC, and I'm glad they delivered.

The cleanliness, location, and free wifi made the hotel. It is right in Chinatown, on bowery so just a few blocks from American restaurants and bars towards Houston.

They give you the wifi password when you check in, and it was pretty fast. There is a very nice flatscreen tv mounted on the wall.

It was an extremely small room, which I was upset about considering the price, there was basically just a bed and dresser, very little room for anything else.

There is no elevator, which isn't bad for young people, but might be an issue for people drinking or who are old.

The service was average. The bed wasn't that comfortable. You can hear conversations in nearby rooms.

Good place to stay if you are only going to sleep here and use it as a base to get around from. Kind of far from the subway, but only a 6 buck cab ride.

Room Tip: Try to get one away from the stairwell because the noise echos.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I'm horrified to admit that I ever stayed here. It made my skin crawl. The 2 bathrooms on the hall of almost 30 rooms was unsanitary with traces of mold and hair in the showers. I laid in my bed all night with my eyes open to the sound of snoring, the smell of smoke and the fear of my life.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Kristal G
Reviewed July 14, 2012

^ The above statement speaks for itself. Yes, the room was a closet and it was clean. I can hear my neighbor couple's fighting, arguing and joyful/disgusting sexual tendencies. That wasn't the worst case... Here it is, my partner and did not take a shower there due to the unsanitary, unbleached shower stall that was being shared for all five floors! Again this was just the icing to the cake. Next was the... toilet...seat... We didn't even use the toilet at all but in the morning when we really had to go we found a surprise inside of the seat that was brewing for what looked like to be a whole day... aka HOLY FECES! We ran out of the hotel asap and made our way back to our sweetful/blissful destination... HOME.

Room Tip: DON'T GO HERE!!! And bring bed bug spray, toilet paper, towels and water.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Theodore B
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed in this so-called hotel for one night and never again. Staying there greatly reminded me how unsuccessful I was in life that the hometown boy who wanted to return to the city I was born and raised in had to end up in this flophouse. The rooms are 6 x 8 with a bed and night table. I was able to squeeze myself and my suitcase between the bed and wall after I removed the waste basket. The walls are paper thin and I was awakened by the sounds of someone having sex. She sounded as if she liked it. There is a bathroom and shower down the hall for everyone to use – like a military barracks. The place reminded me of the cells they lock up the insane. Being an old tenement building there is no elevator and I had to walk up 5 flights. I only had one suitcase, but it was still a chore. I saw some people arrive with tons of luggage causing me to actually feel sorry for them. Believe me, if you could at all afford it spend a few hundred more and stay in something that is not reminiscent of old Chinese and keep away from this flophouse. The only good thing is that it is better than sleeping on a park bench, but not much more.

1  Thank Lloyd S
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is a hostel rather than a hotel. My booking agent got that part wrong, but I knew it because I had looked at the place before. Great location in little Italy/Chinatown. Two blocks to the subway. Very cheap, but:
It's a walk up, no elevator to bus boy
Shared shower and toilet, only two on my floor
Tiny room, bed only a little night stand, no tv
Clean enough
A little noisy, but hey it is NYC isn't it?

Great price for someone who is not planning on doing anything in their room but sleeping.

Does have free wifi when it is working.

4  Thank Father_Stephen
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Don't go to this "hotel"!!!!!!! dirty, i have a bed with bed buds, no window in the room, the room was very little, you can heard everything, the welcome was very bad!!!!! for my last night in NY it was a nightmare!
But i admit the location is very good....
Depend after what are you looking for? a bad night in manhattan or a good night in brooklyn for exemple...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2012

came to nyc for a short business visit. I chose the hotel in order to save money to spend on nice meals and sight seeing. the room I booked was funny since it looks like a closet. Literally a bed inside a closet , however it was well ventilated clean no bed bugs brand new mattress. clean linnen. Overall ok. You can hear everyhing going on on rooms around you ( snoring, sounds occuring during intercourse, phone conversations, foot steps) So it's good only for sleeping after a long day.,.
Shared bathrooms are not good. For the price in NYC with absence of bed bugs in my room I think it is a bargain.

3  Thank Solo T