“Somewhere to lay your head”
Review of Windsor Hotel

Windsor Hotel
Ranked #442 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Somewhere to lay your head”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

No frills budget hotel at a good price (for New York hotels) for people looking to stay close to soho and lower east side areas. Walking distance to Brooklyn bridge. Clean rooms, perfect for what my girlfriend and I needed as we were out exploring/eating/shopping 90% of the time.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Magpie1608

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed here on two separate occasions, in two different rooms, in February. The first time I stayed on the 6th floor, I found a bed bug that had already sucked my blood and killed it. The second time I stayed on the 2nd floor, I got lucky and found it before it got me. The room itself seemed very dirty. The corners of the walls had white powder all over it. The powder was probably pesticide. The mattress itself had crusty brown spots from previous bed bug infestations. The carpet does not seemed to be vacuumed or steam cleaned in a long while. If you decide to stay here, remember to keep your luggage and clothes off the floor and chair as bed bugs can get into your luggage. Not the souvenir you want to take home with you as they can then infect your house/apt. The location of the hotel is excellent. It is near the BD train stop and is also near many restaurants. However, there are other hotels that are close and offer better peace of mind.

Room Tip: Get the penthouse. Its cold, the heater doesn't work well, you will have to wait about an hour f...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Hansen N

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

St. Paul, Alberta
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Due to flight availability our family had to spend the night of Feb. 1 in New York as we were boarding the Norwegian Breakaway on Feb. 2. This was Super Bowl weekend in New York and we felt fortunate that we were able to get rooms. The Hotel is in the "Heart of China Town" and we were thrilled to take advantage of this fact.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

1 Thank Larry L
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

A very good price for NY, nice staff and a great location.
Also, powerful internet service on every floor.
Rooms are shabby, kind of dirty and pillows smell bad. We use our own bed sheets and were never bare foot.
Not for the weak of stomach.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights, giving me 2 whole days to explore New York. Location wise it's great! You take the J train from JFK and you are a 5 minute walk from the hotel. You then only have a 5-10 minute walk to the trains to upper and lower New York. I walked from this hotel all the way to Central Park up 5th Ave. and then all the way down to Battery Park the next day! I couldn't have asked for more!

The room was good, with a nice comfy bed, and a good heater (needed due to snow and -3C weather!) you are provided with a toothbrush, paste and soap if you forget yours too! The shower was good, although it did take a few minutes to get really nice and warm, and the towels were starting to show their age a bit, but for what I paid for the hotel, I knew I wasn't getting the Ritz treatment!

All the staff were really friendly, and always had a smile on their face, offering advice on where to go and directions! They were very apologetic when the door lock in my room broke and they found me another room quickly and helped me move my stuff.

I would really recommend this hotel and would come back again! Maybe see you next year!

• Stayed December 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Not a great experience. We had the choice to spend more, but chose not to based on the reasonable reviews out here. Wish we would have spent more. Don't do it, people. Don't stay here just to save a buck.

Pros:
1. Location- In Chinatown, on the edge of Little Italy. Diverse, fairly quiet neighborhood with a park across the street.
2. Transportation: subway to Uptown 1 block away; other lines about 4-5 blocks away
3. Friendly front desk staff (but a bit disinterested or maybe resigned to their situation)
4. Carpet in room looks like it was replaced within the last 15 years, unlike anything else in the room.

Cons:
1. Dirty, dirty, dirty: Although a cleaning person comes daily, the only thing they do is make the beds and arrange your personal items on the sink. (Wasn't a big fan of having my toothbrush touched.) The carpet never gets vacuumed or the floors swept or toilets cleaned.
2. Stains everywhere: the sheets are stained with blood and god-knows-what; the blankets are stained and in some spots crusty (EEEEK!); the walls near the windows had water spots.
3. Old broken down furniture and drapes that were torn and cigarette burned.
4. A/C did NOT work at all and made loud whining sounds when it tried ALL NIGHT LONG. We reported this to the front desk and they didn't seem to think it would work better if we got another room.
5. Elevator out. Hauling bags up and down the stairs was zero fun.
6. Guys, you will have to pee sitting down. The counter top behind the toilet is configured so the seat won't stay up. Pee like a lady, my friends.

You've been warned.