“Truly a case of you get what you pay for”
Review of Windsor Hotel

Windsor Hotel
Ranked #447 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Not a great experience. We had the choice to spend more, but chose not to based on the reasonable reviews out here. Wish we would have spent more. Don't do it, people. Don't stay here just to save a buck.

Pros:
1. Location- In Chinatown, on the edge of Little Italy. Diverse, fairly quiet neighborhood with a park across the street.
2. Transportation: subway to Uptown 1 block away; other lines about 4-5 blocks away
3. Friendly front desk staff (but a bit disinterested or maybe resigned to their situation)
4. Carpet in room looks like it was replaced within the last 15 years, unlike anything else in the room.

Cons:
1. Dirty, dirty, dirty: Although a cleaning person comes daily, the only thing they do is make the beds and arrange your personal items on the sink. (Wasn't a big fan of having my toothbrush touched.) The carpet never gets vacuumed or the floors swept or toilets cleaned.
2. Stains everywhere: the sheets are stained with blood and god-knows-what; the blankets are stained and in some spots crusty (EEEEK!); the walls near the windows had water spots.
3. Old broken down furniture and drapes that were torn and cigarette burned.
4. A/C did NOT work at all and made loud whining sounds when it tried ALL NIGHT LONG. We reported this to the front desk and they didn't seem to think it would work better if we got another room.
5. Elevator out. Hauling bags up and down the stairs was zero fun.
6. Guys, you will have to pee sitting down. The counter top behind the toilet is configured so the seat won't stay up. Pee like a lady, my friends.

You've been warned.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
17  Thank 1966Traveler2011

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We ended up getting this hotel as part of a Hotwire Hot Rate, and after reading several reviews were very worried but unfortunately couldn't cancel the reservation. The hotel was more spacious than other NY hotels and had great subway access and was surprisingly quiet, but those were the only pros. Upon arrival, there were left over beard shavings in the sink, some brown drip stains on the shower curtain and walls, tons of stains on the bed sheets, other people's hair everywhere, furniture that was shredded, gross carpet, key cards that never worked and had to be constantly reset....and the list goes on. After the second night I received 6 bites and we decided we should just take a loss and stay elsewhere. When we talked to the front desk they didn't seem surprised when I said I was bit, and offered to refund the nights we didn't stay, and Hot Wire also claimed that we will be getting a refund for the remaining nights. So I guess if you are unfortunate enough to get this place on your "Hot Rate" non-refundable booking, they will refund you once you actually get bit but not any time before. Would definitely AVOID this place as saving a few bucks was not worth it and we ended up getting a much nicer place for less by booking a hotel the day-of when we left.

Room Tip: I suspect none of the rooms are good. We initially inspected the mattress for bed bugs and didn'...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ZeeeBeee
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel was by far the cheapest option I found for my trip in September 2013 and the reviews made me apprehensive but I was pleased by the cheerful desk staff, and the room was much bigger than I had pictured. The tub surround seemed held together by mIldew and I'd never be motivated to take a bath in it, but the hot water was plentiful. I peeled off the white bed coverlet and the vellux blanket beneath it -- neither seemed especially clean -- and just slept on the clean sheets with a clean towel covering the pillow. The room was quiet, the hotel seemed safe, and I got the two wake-up calls I requested. however, I spent so much on cabs going back and forth from the Times Square area with luggage that I would in the future spend an extra $50 per night and stay closer to midtown. There were two subway stations very close by, Grand and Bowery, although I would not attempt the subway with luggage. Overall, not a bad place to stay, but i would not stay here again. As for a star-rating, 1 1/2 seems generous considering the room did not have a clock or hair dryer.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in Chinatown, very close to Grand St subway station. This make it perfect to visit both downtown and midtown either on foot or using public transport.
However, it is indeed located in Chinatown and you have to prepare yourself to suburbs atmosphere, bad odours and sometimes not-english speaking people.
The room is small, yet it has private bathroom and they're both clean to acceptable levels (some ageing stains and rust here and there).
Price/Quality ratio acceptable to be Manhattan.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 25, 2013

stayed for one night with 3 teenagers. staff was very nice and accommodating. they even kept our bags for us after we checked out. no parking at the hotel but they give directions to park about 1/2 block away. rooms were very small. private bathroom. granddaughter went to flush toilet and the handle fell off. maintenance was sent up immediately to fix it. no coffee in the hotel but they do offer tea. and there is a deli right across the street that had the best coffee for $1 a cup. close to subway. dirty area. two parks across the street. we saw several large rats walking right down the sidewalk into the sewer system. you get what you pay for. i probably would not stay here again;

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Located in chinatown, the Hotel offers very basic facilities. The room size was very small and could just about accommodate 2 less than queen size beds.There was no coffee/tea maker nor Iron in the room. No room service was available nor offered. The locality was also very trashy and poorly maintained. The room tariff charged was very high for facilities offered. Inspite of requesting for early check in, no room was available and we had to spend 4 hours waiting in a nearby park with the homeless as the Hotel had no lobby to speak of.

Room Tip: Dont go by photos and selling by the hotels. It is better to have a look at the reviews and take a c...
1  Thank kvsmohan
Reviewed August 12, 2013

On a multi-family trip to NYC I booked 3 rooms at this hotel through Expedia and then cancelled when one of the other families found a better deal. Expedia cancelled the room and I was given a cancellation number and thought everything was fine. The hotel proceeded to bill my credit card for the 3 rooms and it has taken 5 months (!) and we still cannot get them to refund my credit card. No one is ever there when Expedia calls to rectify this (no matter the time of day). Expedia also has given me the runaround blaming the hotel when they, Expedia, did the cancellation and provided me a cancellation number. Unless you enjoy hundreds of dollars $$$ in interest charges while you wait for a refund..... do not book here. Forget about Expedia --terrible public relations and customer service.

2  Thank Louise E