“Just ok”
Review of Windsor Hotel

Windsor Hotel
Ranked #451 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 13, 2012

It;s in the midst of chinatown. Not my favorite place to be, but it is safe. The rooms are pretty basic, not sure it should qualify as a two star, but you get a prety small room, hard beds, dusty tabletops, bathroom countertops and desk. At least bathroom and sheets were clean. Towels looked a little brown, I brought my own. You do get soap, shampoo, toothbrush and toothpaste in case you forgot your own. The WiFi worked fine for me and we had a medium sized flat screen t.v. in our room that made it look a little nicer, but rarely ever used. There was a safe in the room, but I didn't need it. It's perfect walking distance to financial district, little italy and the subway station is just 1 block away and it takes you anywhere you need to go. So in that sense it was great. I feel it compares to a bad motel 6 (even those were cleaner). Not worth more than $80 a night at THE MOST. It does you a place to sleep if you are in a rut though.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 8, 2012

after reading the reveiws on here i was wary of what i might find ect. but i was pleasently surprised.
the hotel was clean, loved the location as it was near little italy and the famous "katz deli" (where harry met sally" the most fantastic food i have ever eaten and the subway was pretty much opposite. the staff were lovely. bit of 70's decor but was absolutly fine. people are far to picky for a budget hotel, will be coming back xx

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Avoid this, if you don't want to sleep with bed bugs.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Repe N
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I have stayed in over 40 hotels in the last 6 months and this hotel is by far the most professionally run, and the staff is extremely competent and compassionate. The only negative is the location in Chinatown and the presence of so many rodents at night that it seemed like Ben's birthday party.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed May 3, 2012

The hotel is great location for Chinatown and soho, also the metro is just on the corner of the street so access is great to the rest of manhattan. I expected a basic hotel but this was worse than I expected. We stayed 5 nights, only 3 of which they cleaned the room. The bathroom was dirty, and the fridge in the room you wouldn't dare open. Our curtains wouldn't open so it was generally dark so I found it difficult to do my make up. No safety deposit box, we asked 3 times about this but they just passed our complaints around and nothing happened. Although this is a cheaper end hotel in the city it's is very expensive for the quality. I have stayed in much nicer hostels. Would definitely not recommend staying here at all!!

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 21, 2012

My teenage daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks over Xmas & New Year period. It was a basic hotel but was clean and comfortable. Our room was cleaned on a daily basis. The beds were OK. We were up on the fourth floor and away from the lifts (so it was pretty quiet) facing the street and had a view of the park across the road. The location was fantastic with only minutes walking to Soho and Little Italy. Subway was just across the road and it was so easy to get anywhere in Manhattan in a short time. The staff were always courteous and polite and ready to assist us when required. The only issue we had while staying here was the free wifi was non existant in our room for 4 days/ nights of our stay and staff were unable to fix the problem. No coffee maker, microwave or fridge in the room, however you could get coffee or tea/ hot water from in the lobby.
There was a coin laundry / laundromat just around the corner from the hotel which was convenient and very reasonable.
There was a Wholefoods Market at The Bowery, which was about a 10 minute walk where you could get take out salads / meals/ sandwiches / groceries/ fruit & vegetables. Caffe Roma in Little Italy had excellent coffee and pastries for a reasonable price. Plenty of great restaurants close by particularly in Little Italy.
Overall we had a great time in New York and a pleasant stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a higher floor and away from the lifts.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Horrible customer service. They gave me the wrong room in the basement w no bathroom, next to the maids lounge, washers and cots. When I told them it was not what I booked, I was offered $50 a nite. It took me 2 hours on the phone with Expedia to get a refund. They either overbooked or thought they could take advantage of a women. I was appalled and felt I'd been conned. Stay away.

Room Tip: Don't go there. Tell everyone you know.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family