“Never again”

Ranked #441 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Never again”
Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is great location for Chinatown and soho, also the metro is just on the corner of the street so access is great to the rest of manhattan. I expected a basic hotel but this was worse than I expected. We stayed 5 nights, only 3 of which they cleaned the room. The bathroom was dirty, and the fridge in the room you wouldn't dare open. Our curtains wouldn't open so it was generally dark so I found it difficult to do my make up. No safety deposit box, we asked 3 times about this but they just passed our complaints around and nothing happened. Although this is a cheaper end hotel in the city it's is very expensive for the quality. I have stayed in much nicer hostels. Would definitely not recommend staying here at all!!

Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2012

My teenage daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks over Xmas & New Year period. It was a basic hotel but was clean and comfortable. Our room was cleaned on a daily basis. The beds were OK. We were up on the fourth floor and away from the lifts (so it was pretty quiet) facing the street and had a view of the park across the road. The location was fantastic with only minutes walking to Soho and Little Italy. Subway was just across the road and it was so easy to get anywhere in Manhattan in a short time. The staff were always courteous and polite and ready to assist us when required. The only issue we had while staying here was the free wifi was non existant in our room for 4 days/ nights of our stay and staff were unable to fix the problem. No coffee maker, microwave or fridge in the room, however you could get coffee or tea/ hot water from in the lobby.
There was a coin laundry / laundromat just around the corner from the hotel which was convenient and very reasonable.
There was a Wholefoods Market at The Bowery, which was about a 10 minute walk where you could get take out salads / meals/ sandwiches / groceries/ fruit & vegetables. Caffe Roma in Little Italy had excellent coffee and pastries for a reasonable price. Plenty of great restaurants close by particularly in Little Italy.
Overall we had a great time in New York and a pleasant stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a higher floor and away from the lifts.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Horrible customer service. They gave me the wrong room in the basement w no bathroom, next to the maids lounge, washers and cots. When I told them it was not what I booked, I was offered $50 a nite. It took me 2 hours on the phone with Expedia to get a refund. They either overbooked or thought they could take advantage of a women. I was appalled and felt I'd been conned. Stay away.

Room Tip: Don't go there. Tell everyone you know.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jane M

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Oakland, California
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Stayed four nights and was pretty satisfied with the stay. It's a smoking hotel, so all of the rooms smell like smoke, the hallway, lobby and elevator smell of it, too. The carpet in our room seemed like it hadn't been cleaned in awhile, but the hotel must have heard this one before because they provide complimetary slippers.

When I first sat on the bed it was like sitting on a block on cement. It was so hard that when I plopped down, I hurt myself. There is absolutely no cushion, no bounce, no movement to this bed. But surprisingly I had one of the best sleeps I've ever had. It's the strangest thing...

The wifi was hit or miss. I asked the front desk to help and they were pretty useless. If you're expecting good customer service, you're not going to find it here. The front desk doesn't have any interest in telling where to go, how to get there, or provide any general information about the property. This wasn't a problem for us since we got in late every night and left really early.

It's a prime location for the price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CamilleAnn
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed February 15, 2012

the place is great near to soho, little italy...
BUT our room was not clean and the bathroom also..
it was terrible...
never again for this money..

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Yasemin K
Boston
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Great location - in walking distance of the Metro, Little Italy, East Village - very basic amenities.
You may need to ask for extra towels, or toilet roll- Happy with Clean beds. Bathroom could be updated - as with the carpeting throughout the property. Located on Forsyth Street opposite open community space/park. Nice change from being boxed in.

Room Tip: Some corner rooms have double windows with views of the NYC skyline.Worth the extra $$.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank HalBoston
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights, the first night I had a really hard bed and would have done better sleeping on the floor. The night shift clerk "starting at midnight" is a real jerk and does not help or know anything. had message light on the phone and he said there are no messages "written" for you. asked how I listen to my phone messages and all he could say is call back in the morning to talk to the manager. The room is very clean, it does not have a fridge as stated by write up and are very small. The price is right for $70.00 per night but I would not pay any more for it. It is in china town which is very run down, I never had any problems walking around even late at night when returning at 2am. There is a corner store across the street which is open til 12am and the hotel is close by to little italy and is in china town. It is right on the Grand street subway D line with access to anywhere you want to go. There is an excellent cafe about 3 blocks away called the cup and saucer which has 2 greek cooks. It is a small place with limited seating but the food and prices are awesome. You can easily get filled up for breakfast for about 7.00 here including your coffee "remember I said greek so it is thick and strong coffee". Over on allen st there is an excellent bar that has live country/folk music nightly with each band playing for about 1 hr sets. Over all for my first time to NY it was a clean, safe and comfortable room with really good front desk staff in the morning and afternoon who are quite knowledgeable and helpful with directions.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor, it is noisey with the front desk close by. the only added amentity...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business