“Perhaps it was a bad day”
Review of Pho Pasteur

Pho Pasteur
Ranked #3,286 of 14,202 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed April 22, 2013

After a large New York breakfast, we often had a late lunch. We selected Pho Pasteur after a wander through China Town. My daughter and I have had Vietnamese food before, and loved the combinations of flavours and the attack on the senses

I wanted to like this place. It did seem like a family run place, with an extensive, authentic looking menu and we ordered. One shared starter arrived and then my families main courses. My order of Tay Cam was delayed, when we saw the cooks come and sit out for lunch it seemed terminally. However, this was only confirmed when I asked when it would be coming...

It did however generate a ear bashing for someone, I don't speak Vietnamese but I know a telling off in any language.

What I tasted of my families food seemed ok. It was not a bad meal, but more westernised Chinese food than Vietnamese. I would have expected a family run place (especially in NYC where there is so much competition) to have made more of an effort to say sorry. It's the first time I have had a whole main omitted. Easy mistake to make, but to be given the impression that it's somehow your fault, and not even offered a discount. Poor in my opinion.

Given the positives seen other reviews, perhaps I caught them on a bad day. Would I go back? NYC is a big place and there is lots of choice, so probably not.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Transport yourself to Vietnam. Don't be put off by the cafe style look. Just like in Vietnam.... the less restaurant like the place looks the better the food. The food was freshly cooked. Using the recipes of the owners mother. Amazingly good. Will eat here again if I return to NY.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Sometimes it pays to wander down the side streets and find the little jewels tucked away. Such is the case here, just a half block off Canal Street.
The owner is hands-on, it's a small place, clean, and all the odors are of a pleasant nature.
They have a large menu and the owner is happy to assist with your selections.
We had a terrific lunch here and will definitely be back on future trips to NYC. "Cam On"

Reviewed January 9, 2013

No frills, friendly restaurant.
Good fresh authentic food at good prices.
Everything we tried was good, the spicy soups especially welcome on a chilly New Year´s Day!

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have been going to this restaurant for over 22 years and i have to say that the food is not as good as it used to be. The food is not as tasty ( maybe they have a new cook?) and the portions got smaller. I used to brag and recommend this place to my friends from out of town, I don't think i can do that anymore.