“Very good Greek taverna”
Review of Village Taverna

Village Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Village Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,810 of 14,590 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Very good Greek taverna!
I have travelled to Greece many times and can say that Village taverna is really very Greek;)
Very friendly staff, tasty food and warm atmosphere make this place really good!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My inlaws are Greek so I cook Greek and eat Greek. Village Taverna is a great place for families, honestly, and very honest food. My peeps had been here once before for dinner so when we met at brunch it felt like home. We ordered some mezedes and some salads. The Greek people were not satisfied that anyone had eatne enough but ths is typical. All good. 6 people at $135 including drinks.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife, adult son and I had dinner here in late Sept 2012.
We asked a young lady walking her dog along the street to recommend a restaurant in the area and she didn't hesitate to recommend this place.
We were not disappointed at all. The food was good and the waiter was a lot of fun.

Just a word of warning, I had the fish special, red snapper, and it was quite expensive. Menu prices are reasonable by NYC standards. My fish was about $10 more than the menu prices.

Other than that surprise, it was an enjoyable evening.

I would go back.

1  Thank skierCalgary
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Perhaps not the most authentic of Greek restaurants, but Village Taverna's menu is extensive enough to keep parties of 4-6 happy. The food seems reliable. Happy atmosphere, family feeling due in part to the white tables/chairs. Casual atmosphere, probably not a place to go for a special occasion. We (party of four) got in without a reservation at around 7:30 on a Friday night. The staff was accommodating. Good smoked eggplant appetizer. The tsitsiki (sp?) was very good. Gratis soft pita bread and olives to start. Nice selection of beer on tap.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

I've been to this restaurant in its early infancy and was not impressed so I decided to give it another chance and wait a little while before returning.
I'm not so much of a Greek expert but dating one and traveling to Athens several times has given me a taste for what truly is good Greek food.
NowI NEVER expect a restaurant in NYC to be a Greek food expert, but I was hoping that this restaurant near Union square to at least serve a decent GYRO, and save me a trip to Astoria for my greek food cravings.
The service was very good and the staff was very attentive. The atmosphere was simple and not too chaotic as many restaurants are.
We were immediately serves warm sliced pita bread with olives in olive oil. YUM
To my dismay the meat was over cooked, although the presentation was impressive and they served American portions....lol
We alos ordered the mixed grill platter and the portions was big enough to share, but alas the meats were not all grilled to perfection and some even arrived cold.
On the positive side the grilled octopus salad was delicious and the simple greek salad of lettuce, red onions, olives and feta cheese was refreshing.
I'm not going to say the food was bad, but it certainly did not conjure up any Greek dishes I recall.
Edible Faux Greek.