“Wonderful preservation and restoration”

Museum at Eldridge Street
Book In Advance
More Info
$109.00*
and up
The Sightseeing Day Pass NYC
Ranked #71 of 1,080 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic 127 year old synagogue in the Lower East Side. $12 adults, $10 students/seniors, $8 children. Mondays free.
massachusetts
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Wonderful preservation and restoration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

How lucky we are that this beautiful historic synagogue was saved and restored. As you walk through the lower east side you see the remnants of many lost synagogues, which is interesting in itself, but here you can see the beauty and history of a vibrant culture that is mostly gone. The tour of the temple was wonderful and informative, the temple itself is beautiful. You do not have to be Jewish to appreciate this landmark. Especially wonderful is the new stained glass in the main sanctuary, make sure to see the short film that shows how it was designed and built. Seeing the still-existing depressions in the floor where worshippers stood and prayed brings history to life. A must-see when in the LES. Ask for the list of surviving and extinct synagogues of the LES while you are here, and you can take an interesting walking tour of the area following the history of Jewish immigrant worship.

• Czech first
Stockport, United Kingdom
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

The lady on the desk at Eldridge was so lovely she explained that we were too late for a tour as it was now 4.50pm and they closed at 5pm, but she said that we were welcome to go and have a look inside for 10 mins and she asked the young guy working there to run upstairs to the kitchen and get me a plastic cup for my ice cream whilst we went in to take some photos.

They were very kind and so friendly, I had waited 4 years to see inside this beautiful building (we had tried to find it last year and took a left instead of a right down Eldridge and completely missed it)- to be able to go in just for 10 mins to see the wonderful interior and the stained glass window was so special . I will definately make sure I go back for the full tour next time I'm in New York. And I still had some of my ice cream left to enjoy - result ! .

Visited June 2014
Jerusalem, Israel
131 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

We had a one hour tour with Rosa and it was very interesting, especially if you are interested in the history of the lower east side from a Jewish point of view. Rosa really gave us a feeling for the history of the area and the congregation. the building has been lovingly restored.

Saratoga Springs, New York
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Well worth the visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is a beautiful and historical place of worship whose story is very much aligned with the history of the Lower East Side. My husband, who is not a fan of museums, very much enjoyed the tour as did I. Our tour guide (Courtney) did an excellent job of sharing the history of this building. Visiting the Tenement Museum first laid the groundwork for us to understand the many challenges and economic influences on the daily lives of many Eastern European immigrants in this part of the city. In addition, we were able to visit a synagogue for the first time. This is a very special place which I highly recommend especially if you like history, religion, architecture, and art.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank apples0ranges
Melbourne, Australia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“An amazing part of history!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

A beautiful gem in the middle of shops and houses.... What an amazing restoration and the history of the building is wonderful. I was really looking forward to my visit and I wasn't disappointed. I was there with a friend who wasn't really keen on going but he was really impressed with the tour and the Synagogue as a whole. Sarah our guide was so passionate and extremely knowledgeable.