“interesting”

and up
Culture Clash: Immigrant NYC Running Tour
Ranked #54 of 1,137 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic 130 year old synagogue in the Lower East Side. $14 adults, $10 students/seniors, $8 children. Mondays are Pay As You Wish.
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We had a one hour tour with Rosa and it was very interesting, especially if you are interested in the history of the lower east side from a Jewish point of view. Rosa really gave us a feeling for the history of the area and the congregation. the building has been lovingly restored.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is a beautiful and historical place of worship whose story is very much aligned with the history of the Lower East Side. My husband, who is not a fan of museums, very much enjoyed the tour as did I. Our tour guide (Courtney) did an excellent job of sharing the history of this building. Visiting the Tenement Museum first laid the groundwork for us to understand the many challenges and economic influences on the daily lives of many Eastern European immigrants in this part of the city. In addition, we were able to visit a synagogue for the first time. This is a very special place which I highly recommend especially if you like history, religion, architecture, and art.

1  Thank apples0ranges
Reviewed June 1, 2014

A beautiful gem in the middle of shops and houses.... What an amazing restoration and the history of the building is wonderful. I was really looking forward to my visit and I wasn't disappointed. I was there with a friend who wasn't really keen on going but he was really impressed with the tour and the Synagogue as a whole. Sarah our guide was so passionate and extremely knowledgeable.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was very impressed with the restoration of this important historical synagogue. It is truly awe-inspiring and Miryam was a great guide! It is interesting to hear the history of Jews in the Lower East Side, especially since the synagogue currently sits in the middle of Chinatown.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Was lucky enough to participate in one of the free tours on the Monday before the Passover Holiday. Excellent tour and a fine insight into Jewish community life during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Very well restored.

2  Thank neilepi