“Beautiful museum and interesting look at the history of NYC”

Museum at Eldridge Street
and up
Culture Clash: Immigrant NYC Running Tour
Ranked #53 of 1,131 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic 130 year old synagogue in the Lower East Side. $14 adults, $10 students/seniors, $8 children. Mondays are Pay As You Wish.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I scheduled a tour for a group of college students who were in NYC for a week for a finance class. We wanted to see some of the history of the people of NYC. The Museum at Eldridge did not disappoint. Judy, the Education Director tailored the tour for the group, both in terms of level of detail (college vs. younger students) and weaving in details about the financial aspects of the history. She was great. The students all really enjoyed the tour.

The building has been lovingly restored to all of its splendor and you can almost visualize services during its peak. The Lower Eastside was one of the most crowded places in the world at that time and you can imagine the spirituality the members felt walking from the streets into this beautiful sanctuary. We had a rather full schedule the day we went, so we were not able to linger much after the tour ended. I will definately be going back when I am next in NYC. There is a great interactive exhibit in the basement that deserves more time!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Attracted to the museum because of beauty. Initially we just planned to browse around to take a few pictures and leave. But then I noted that they offer guided tour and the timing of it coincides with my itinerary so we decided to go for it.

The guided tour was very interesting. Not only was it narrative, the tour guide encourages us to move around to touch, feel and smell the museum itself. It certainly leaves a deeper impression of this beautiful museum.

It may be easy to miss this museum as it is "hidden" in Chinatown. Recommend to plot its location on google map before your visit as I did and located it easily.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

After walking around Chinatown for a while, you get a little lost...until you come upon the museum at Eldridge St. It definitely stands out amongst the community but can easily be overlooked. The history of the place is quite amazing. This beautiful synagogue was built for the Jewish immigrants who arrived at Ellis Island but due to restrictions and community growth, was closed off for many years. The way the place and religious items were preserved is quite unique. Once you are inside it is so beautiful. The tour guide did a great job in explaining the history of the place and its significance to the Jewish-Americans in NYC. Definitely a place to see while in New York.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this museum. I got there about 30 minutes before closing on a Friday, but instead of turning me away. They asked that I make a half price donation and I was given a compressed 25 minute private tour (a group had come in at the same time as me, but they were given a tour by a different guide). Susan, my guide, was extremely knowledgeable and the restored Synagogue was absolutely beautiful. It was great to learn about how the synagogue, which is still in use, has changed & stayed the same over the passage of time. I had a truly enjoyable time and would recommend this site to anyone.

1  Thank jehenson81
Reviewed December 20, 2012

After hearing about this museum from friends and reading about it on Trip Advisor, we were expecting to be "wowed" by the Museum at Eldridge Street. Maybe we had the wrong tour guide, who talked to us like we were a bunch of 3rd graders (there were more kids than adults in the group but it was not a school outing, and it was a Sunday afternoon). We learned a few mildly interesting facts, like how people had to pay to get a good seat at services, and it was interesting to see the old synagogue wedged between buildings in Chinatown. The rose window is beautiful, but otherwise we just saw an historical place of worship that was nice, not especially ornate or awe-inspiring. When you add the difficulty of getting there, I did not think it was worth the effort.

1  Thank Juliet K