All reviews bagels single room sink and mirror shared bathroom free breakfast location is great walking distance subway station air con cleaned daily times square around the corner few blocks street noise the empire state building central park manhattan
Selected filters
Reviewed May 7, 2019

I liked it but not sure I would go back. I had a single room and it was clean enough. The only problem, and this is about a particular room, is that the room had no air con and it is right at street level. I mean if you opened the window you touch the pavement. So noise is an issue with people talking and yelling and cars and bins and so on, the room being too hot is going to be a problem.

There are some positives - it was a shared shower/bathroom but I didn't have to wait, there is a basin in the room which is great, the breakfast is good value with non-stop cereal and coffee but the queue to toast bagels can be a pain (there are two toasters, 60-90secs to toast a bagel, you can see the maths).

At the end of the day, I am not sure I can risk the noise and lack of air con.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2019 via mobile

Me and my husband stay in the Chelsea International Hostel for 10 days and was an a total positive experience.
We booked one private room with share bathroom, and the room was perfect.
Also the bathroom was clean (they clean almost 3/4 times in one day) and we always find the floor clean in our room with the garbage empty.
The breakfast is healthy (one bagel with butter and jam, coffee, orange juice, milk and cereal).
They are really organize and kind.
The position is also perfect close to subway,bike sharing,5th Avenue.
If I will come back to NYC for sure I will contact this place again.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2019

I chose this hostel due to its location and price. I stayed in a private room with one bed and shared bathroom/toilet. My room is located on the second floor facing 20th street. The stairs/steps are steep/narrow and if you have a heavy luggage, that may be a safety concern. The room was very basic with 2 lockers (BYO lock), sink, a bed, towel, blanket, mirror, trash bin, radiator heater (cannot be adjusted), window blinds, a window that can be opened, shelves to place clothes, and 1 electrical outlet. It gets loud at night from the street noise that lead to poor sleep quality. Bathrooms were cleaned daily by housekeeping. The daily breakfast was basic. Each guest is provided with a "stub" during check-in which you will need to present each morning between 8-10 am to claim 1 bagel and a fruit of your choice. It comes with butter and fruit jam. Orange juice and coffee are also available for free. These can be located in the "common area" - basement of the hostel office. The WiFi was very good and reliable. The hostel grounds were kept clean and security cameras are everywhere. There are also luggage lockers in the basement of the hostel office for a fee.

Some recommendations to improve the hostel:

1) Place a sink inside the toilet. Although there is a sink inside the room, it would be unhygienic to use the toilet and touch surfaces such as door knobs and keys increasing the risk of spreading germs.

2) Place a rack inside the toilet and bathroom stall. The hooks are good but not enough to place other items that cannot be hooked.

3) Place an exhaust fan inside the toilet and bathroom.

4) Place a table and chair in the private rooms.

5) Replace towels as my towel had a stain on it. Also, allow towel exchange for used towels for stays greater than 2 nights.

6) Place a fan inside the private rooms.

7) Increase number of electrical plugs inside the private rooms.

Overall, the experience was positive. I would stay at this property again in the future.

Room tip: Bring a lock to use the lockers inside your room.
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank SouthPhillyPT19148
Reviewed April 6, 2019 via mobile

For the price, this place is fantastic!
It’s in the neighborhood Chelsea where there are lots of places to eat and shop (including a 24/7 convenience store right across the street)and it is super safe and close to the subway! I could see the Empire State Building from my window! I didn’t have my passport and my license worked just fine. The man at the desk was very nice. Had a later flight and was able to rent a locker until I left at 4pm.

Reviewed March 22, 2019

Good breakfast, excellent kitchen, plenty of places to sit inside and out communal eating area. We had a room upstairs, worst stairs to room ever. They are long, extremely narrow / tight, very steep and twisty at the top, no good if you are bringing suitcases. It took ten minutes for hot water to reach shower!

Room tip: Choose lower floor, dangerous narrow stairs to upper rooms
Date of stay: September 2018