“Adequate - Good location”

and 1 more site!
Chelsea International Hostel
Ottawa, Ontario
“Adequate - Good location”
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The location of the hostel is excellent. I stayed in the 4 bed female dorm with ensuite. Bathroom in the room is not easy to find in NyC so this is a definite plus. Also, the room had single beds so no bunk beds to deal with. The place is clean and provides all the basics of a hostel. BUT the wifi is only reserved for the common areas which close at 10 pm. So if you stay up late, you come back to a locked down facility with no access to the common room, the kitchen and the fridge. This is very inconvenient in the "city that never sleeps". There aren't many social activities and the staff seems to isolate themselves in an office. After certain hours, you can only communicate with them through a small window. Not sure if this has to do with the size of the place but the staff is very distant. However, the hostel serves its purpose and you are in NYC so you just sleep here anyway. The needed improvements would be access to common areas after hours and wifi on the rooms. Otherwise, this place is a good pick.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Don't go in with very high expectations. The beds aren't comfortable at all, the ambiance is pretty grim, and it's very basic. However, you get what you pay for and at least everything is very clean. I thought the bagels for breakfast were great, but then I'm not from New York. The location is great and there's no way you'll find anything cheaper in this area. It's close to almost every subway line and places like times square or the village aren't too bad of a walk. There's a few things I wish I had packed (like I said, it's very basic), like hand soap, a hand towel, and an extra blanket. The wifi wasn't as bad as I expected. I would stay here again. I fell asleep pretty easily despite the awful bed and street noise. If you're not exhausted each night then you're not doing it right!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Ashley F
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I did a quick solo trip to NYC and did endless amounts of hostel research. I went with Chelsea International because of the location, it seemed like the best bang for my buck and well managed. Those 3 major details proved to be so true. All I wanted was for it to be basic and clean and it certainly was. Apple, bagel & cereal handed out in the morning. Wednesday night they have a pizza a party with complimentary pizza. I thought that was very generous. The guys at the front desk were friendly and extremely helpful with directions, recommendations etc. It was so easy to find the subway and get around from there. You have to check out by noon, but you can rent a locker to put your stuff in if you have a later departure time which I did. If you are looking for a glitzy & happenin hostel, this isn't it but you'll be in NYC and I hope for your sake, that you won't be spending too much time back at the hostel. Happy trails!

Room Tip: I stayed in a 4 bed female only. It was a perfect size. If you going to bed early I hope you don'...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AngelaAnn86
Paris, France
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Ok the location is good. But being there during winter, the room we had was sooo cold we could'nt sleep. We told the receptionnist, he told us to go and buy some blankets ourselves ! We left for another place, really bad service, really poor breakfast.
If you are in NYC, avoid this place or it could ruin your journey!

Room Tip: Avoid the building at the rear of the courtyard !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Tefiiiii

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed at the Chelsea International Hostel Oct 2012 (mere days before Superstorm Sandy). Part of a school trip with university students. Location was great, staff friendly, room clean, free WiFi and breakfast to boot! I have stayed in a few hostels in NYC and this had to be the best so far. Located in Chelsea you are handy 4 or more subway. The hostel is more a grouping of buildings 2-3 floors each and a rear 'quarters' with more spacious rooms. I had a double which had a sink, mirror, shelves and lockers. Beds were comfortable and warm at night even with window open. Shared bathroom in hall was small but did the trick. Other than the narrow steep stairwell..but can't be helped with an older building it was great on a budget. WiFi was accessible in the 'breakfast' room and outdoors had a big courtyard with tables, garbage cans, recycle bins and ashtrays. That area was closed nightly at 11 to keep the partiers quiet, which we appreciated.

Many restaurants within a short walk as well as drug stores, markets and the famous Murray's Bagels! Best bagels and cream cheese to die for! You are also not far from the "Upstart Brigade Theatre" as well as bigger shopping areas. Maybe a 10 minute walk to the "High Line", walking distance to the Meat Packing District, more restos and shops..10 minutes on subway to Times Square or anywhere really! The Chelsea International Hostel just made a great, convenient place to access all that NYC has to offer but is in a neighborhood that is safe and quiet.

Unfortunately 'Superstorm Sandy' was on it's way so we left about 12 hrs early to head back to Canada (I like to think of it as our evacuation bus)...Chelsea was affected by Sandy as were many areas of NYC. When we returned we heard of a building facade a few blocks away had fallen away. But was heartwarming to hear of the stories of community and aid that followed. I do know the power was out and flooding where we had stayed, but to what extent I am not sure.

I would certainly recommend the CIH and I would certainly return again...maybe again this October!

Room Tip: First or second floor if you can get it...just the narrow hall is hard to maneuver a large suitcase...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed over the new year period in NYC, and we were expecting accommodation to be expensive. This hostel allowed us (myself and my two other girls) to stay right in the thick of the city for a reasonable price for New York, about $70 ea per night. While the facilities weren't amazing, we were expecting this. The hostel is in a fabulous location, a 2 min walk in either direction to the subway and the bagels in the morning were pretty good. The rooms were all they needed to be (we stayed in a 3 person private with an ensuite) although in the middle of winter I was needing a few blankets to stay warm through the night.
My only criticisms of the hostel are the fact that it didn't have a communal feeling that I have found in other hostels, and the wifi was a tad temperamental. Other than that, it did the job, we were out for most of our stay anyway.
I would stay again, most probably in a private room as I chatted to a few other people staying in dorms and they commented that it was a little noisy. The private rooms are out the back of the property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Florence, Italy
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This Hostel is perfect located next to Madison Square Garden. With many shops, groceries and the Subway nearby, this place is an excellent hang-out to discover NYC. Staff was friendly and the terrace a great place to get to know other travelers. I would definitely stay again in this hostel again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends