Chelsea International Hostel
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$139
$119
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$162
$124
Savings alert! 49% below average rates

The price you found is 49% lower than this hotel's average rate of $245/night.

Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$186
  • Room Service
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$187
$180
GardenInn.com
$134
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$169
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
The New Yorker a Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$152
  • Room Service
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$284
$242
  • Room Service
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$149
  • Restaurant
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$139
$90
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 43% below average rates

The price you found is 43% lower than this hotel's average rate of $158/night.

All reviewsbagelssingle private roomshower and toiletshared bathroomfree breakfastlocation is greatwalking distancesafe areasubway stationair concleaned dailytimes squarearound the cornerfew blocksmadison square gardenthe empire state buildingcentral park
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I had booked a single with a private bathroom well in advance of my stay. Turned up, checked in and walked up what felt like many flights of stairs to discover that I had been given a room with shared bathroom, no mention having been made of this by the girl who checked me in! I went back to reception to find out what was going on and was luckly to be served this time by a very helpful guy who apologised and, after conferring with a manager, offered me a private double room (usually sold at $160 per night) The manager pointed out, albeit nicely, that any room type booked is not guaranteed which seems crazy to me: you book a room type and then it is pot luck whether you actually get what you have booked!

Anyway the room was large, as mentioned in previous reviews extremely sparsely furnished: a bed, an old broken metal locker and nothing else. Very basic but seemingly fine. The problems started that evening, I am by no means a light sleeper but it was impossible to sleep with groups congregated outside, shouting and screaming for most of the night. The lock on the door (that led directly onto the street) was extremely flimsy and I did not feel safe staying in the room. I managed for 1 night, had it been longer I would have checked out early and had I paid $160 per night I would have been extremely upset.

The hostel is very run down and difficult to navigate. There are also a lot of steps and narrow staircases, worth noting if you have reduced mobility. Goes without saying that there is no lift.

I expected a very basic room and wasn't expecting hotel standards. However I also expected to be able to sleep and to feel safe and this property let me down on both accounts.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank lLittleMsWanderer
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Forced to stay here after other hostel was overbooked on hostelworld. Paid a fortune for a double room which was supposed to be single sex female, only to walk into the room to find a male occupant who was having a drinking party with 6 other friends. The room was cramped with only a meter between the two beds, with bare furnishing and dim lighting. Mattress was bearable.

The rooms are spread over a series of buildings with no common area, making the hostel feel more like a halfway house than a hostel. No character or warmth at all. Computer room located in a creaky basement. Dining room was that of a series of sad chairs and tables, although breakfast was edible.

Only one good thing to say about this hostel that got me through the experience. 1 super friendly and nice staff member by the name of David who was extremely understanding and helpful after turning up at 1 in the morning to look for a room. Upgraded me to a single room after hearing about the impromptu party in the double room and showed me around the hostel. Really grateful for his hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank lisau28
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights in small dorm with shared bathroom.
The room was barely furnished with only one chair and two single beds but it had a sink! Unfortunately there were no lockers (athough they were supposed to be) or even shelves. The bathroom was shared between 3 or 4 small rooms. It was shabby and cramped, but cleaned everyday.
An advantage of this place was a breakfast included in price, but don't expect too much. Typically it was a bagel with some jelly, cereal and a fruit.
The hostel is located in a middle of Chelsea district and I found it quite convinient location. The neighbourhood seemed to be safe. The subway is in a walking distance, just 2 or 3 blocks away.

IMO - If you are not demanding traveler, then you find this place a good value. It's not a posh place, even if you think of hostel standards. But it's main advantages are the price (40$/night), breakfast and good location. Frankly, it's hard to find better hostel in lower- or mid- manhattan.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Jemand0
Reviewed June 23, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 5 nights and had a private room with own bathroom. We were located on the outside of the complex and had to walk down a few steps to our room. The room was quite large but apart from the bed and a stupid locker that was unusable as it didn't have any coat hangers or shelves etc, there was absolutely nothing in the room which meant we had to put all our stuff on the floor, which wasn't all that clean either.

Luckily the toilet had a top on it that was flat so that we could put our toiletries on it, otherwise they would've had to go on the floor as well.

The shower curtain didn't really fit the shower properly which meant that the floor got saturated everytime we showered, and of course there is no bath mat or anything so luckily we had old clothes we could put on the floor to soak up the waer.

On check-in, the young girl didn't talk to us at all apart from telling us our room number and getting payment. Not at all friendly and the other experiences I had with the staff were not overly friendly either.

My suggestion to this hostel would be to at least put a table in the rooms so that at the end of the day you can put your wallet, passport, metro tickets, etc., on it rather than having them on the floor. A cheap table doesn't cost that much and would make the travel experience a bit better.

As we were on the outside of the building, 3 out of 5 nights we had people congregated outside our room from about 11pm and on and off till about 3am. One night I went out and asked them to move but just got glared at. The night staff really should keep an eye out for the outside of the buidling tenants as it was almost impossible to sleep. I had ear plugs but who wants to sleep with them everynight?

The location was good and given that we were only really in the room to shower and sleep made it bearable but it could just have a few improvements which would make it a lot more inviting.

Not sure whether I would stay here again due the unfriendliness of the staff and the lack of furniture in the room.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JustJane_1971
Reviewed June 23, 2011

It was my very first time staying in hostel and its was awful! First night in... the room looked like a prison cell. I couldn't sleep old fashion radiator making so much noise I arrived after the snow so my room was SO HOT... resulted in 2hour sleep
I was moved to another room and an evil woman stayed 2 nights so rude, the staff were unhelpful in this situation. I made sure I showered just as the domestic cleaned the bathroom because the dirty piled up all day and no one would clean it until morning.
Breakfast very basic, no worth the price.
I only positive thing was that it was on thr 20th street and it was easy to walk up to 42nd street for Times Sq
Spent most of my nights sleeping 3 hours coz the bed was flat and inconsiderate room mates.
You are better off pay extra £200 for a cleaner facilities, safety of your belongings and a good nights sleep

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo