“Reasonably priced Hostel Accomodation in Central NY” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chelsea International Hostel

Chelsea International Hostel
Douglas, United Kingdom
“Reasonably priced Hostel Accomodation in Central NY”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

Nowadays very few Cheap Hostel type accomodation is becoming very rare in New York due to pressures from Mayor to close down High Density Housing.

Obviously only an arrogant NY mayor would rule cheaper bunk style accomodation as high density as the room I stayed in was for 2 persons , had a chair and large enough cupboard spaace.

Chelsea Hostel is cheerful , provides nice bunk bed style accomodation, a basic breakfast of cereals,fruit and juice in the morning and free wifi.

The facilities are spread over 3 buildings each having a seperate door for n entrance.

Value for money is the game here as a lot of good priced restaurants are in Chelsea, walking distance to convenience stores and the Subway system.

If you are young enough in mind and spirit , on a budget in NY this could be the ideal place to crash safely at night.

And try to familiarise yourself with the suway lines as the streets arent that far apart, after a week there I learnt that a line operating in the evenng didnt stop to far away.. .

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are better , despite the long staircase to climb.
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank DOSYROSY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

I had booked a single with a private bathroom well in advance of my stay. Turned up, checked in and walked up what felt like many flights of stairs to discover that I had been given a room with shared bathroom, no mention having been made of this by the girl who checked me in! I went back to reception to find out what was going on and was luckly to be served this time by a very helpful guy who apologised and, after conferring with a manager, offered me a private double room (usually sold at $160 per night) The manager pointed out, albeit nicely, that any room type booked is not guaranteed which seems crazy to me: you book a room type and then it is pot luck whether you actually get what you have booked!

Anyway the room was large, as mentioned in previous reviews extremely sparsely furnished: a bed, an old broken metal locker and nothing else. Very basic but seemingly fine. The problems started that evening, I am by no means a light sleeper but it was impossible to sleep with groups congregated outside, shouting and screaming for most of the night. The lock on the door (that led directly onto the street) was extremely flimsy and I did not feel safe staying in the room. I managed for 1 night, had it been longer I would have checked out early and had I paid $160 per night I would have been extremely upset.

The hostel is very run down and difficult to navigate. There are also a lot of steps and narrow staircases, worth noting if you have reduced mobility. Goes without saying that there is no lift.

I expected a very basic room and wasn't expecting hotel standards. However I also expected to be able to sleep and to feel safe and this property let me down on both accounts.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank lLittleMsWanderer

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Forced to stay here after other hostel was overbooked on hostelworld. Paid a fortune for a double room which was supposed to be single sex female, only to walk into the room to find a male occupant who was having a drinking party with 6 other friends. The room was cramped with only a meter between the two beds, with bare furnishing and dim lighting. Mattress was bearable.

The rooms are spread over a series of buildings with no common area, making the hostel feel more like a halfway house than a hostel. No character or warmth at all. Computer room located in a creaky basement. Dining room was that of a series of sad chairs and tables, although breakfast was edible.

Only one good thing to say about this hostel that got me through the experience. 1 super friendly and nice staff member by the name of David who was extremely understanding and helpful after turning up at 1 in the morning to look for a room. Upgraded me to a single room after hearing about the impromptu party in the double room and showed me around the hostel. Really grateful for his hospitality.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank lisau28
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights in small dorm with shared bathroom.
The room was barely furnished with only one chair and two single beds but it had a sink! Unfortunately there were no lockers (athough they were supposed to be) or even shelves. The bathroom was shared between 3 or 4 small rooms. It was shabby and cramped, but cleaned everyday.
An advantage of this place was a breakfast included in price, but don't expect too much. Typically it was a bagel with some jelly, cereal and a fruit.
The hostel is located in a middle of Chelsea district and I found it quite convinient location. The neighbourhood seemed to be safe. The subway is in a walking distance, just 2 or 3 blocks away.

IMO - If you are not demanding traveler, then you find this place a good value. It's not a posh place, even if you think of hostel standards. But it's main advantages are the price (40$/night), breakfast and good location. Frankly, it's hard to find better hostel in lower- or mid- manhattan.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Jemand0
Sunshine Coast, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 5 nights and had a private room with own bathroom. We were located on the outside of the complex and had to walk down a few steps to our room. The room was quite large but apart from the bed and a stupid locker that was unusable as it didn't have any coat hangers or shelves etc, there was absolutely nothing in the room which meant we had to put all our stuff on the floor, which wasn't all that clean either.

Luckily the toilet had a top on it that was flat so that we could put our toiletries on it, otherwise they would've had to go on the floor as well.

The shower curtain didn't really fit the shower properly which meant that the floor got saturated everytime we showered, and of course there is no bath mat or anything so luckily we had old clothes we could put on the floor to soak up the waer.

On check-in, the young girl didn't talk to us at all apart from telling us our room number and getting payment. Not at all friendly and the other experiences I had with the staff were not overly friendly either.

My suggestion to this hostel would be to at least put a table in the rooms so that at the end of the day you can put your wallet, passport, metro tickets, etc., on it rather than having them on the floor. A cheap table doesn't cost that much and would make the travel experience a bit better.

As we were on the outside of the building, 3 out of 5 nights we had people congregated outside our room from about 11pm and on and off till about 3am. One night I went out and asked them to move but just got glared at. The night staff really should keep an eye out for the outside of the buidling tenants as it was almost impossible to sleep. I had ear plugs but who wants to sleep with them everynight?

The location was good and given that we were only really in the room to shower and sleep made it bearable but it could just have a few improvements which would make it a lot more inviting.

Not sure whether I would stay here again due the unfriendliness of the staff and the lack of furniture in the room.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JustJane_1971
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

It was my very first time staying in hostel and its was awful! First night in... the room looked like a prison cell. I couldn't sleep old fashion radiator making so much noise I arrived after the snow so my room was SO HOT... resulted in 2hour sleep
I was moved to another room and an evil woman stayed 2 nights so rude, the staff were unhelpful in this situation. I made sure I showered just as the domestic cleaned the bathroom because the dirty piled up all day and no one would clean it until morning.
Breakfast very basic, no worth the price.
I only positive thing was that it was on thr 20th street and it was easy to walk up to 42nd street for Times Sq
Spent most of my nights sleeping 3 hours coz the bed was flat and inconsiderate room mates.
You are better off pay extra £200 for a cleaner facilities, safety of your belongings and a good nights sleep

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Superbluestar
westside
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

There was a mix-up about the type of rm I was getting on the second day, b/c I split my reservation due to not bringing enough cash. This was a cash only hostel & the ATM inside only lets you withdraw $200-so HEADS UP. It broke once while I was there, so make sure if you have a week long reservation to bring extra cash with you or google your nearest bank location, so you can pay your reservation in full. They helped me figure out rooms, but I did have to move twice, b/c I came during a very busy time & stayed about 2 wks-Spring break & St Patty's day. I had mostly nice roomies during the course of the stay. I had one weird/rude roommate & two who talked in their sleep all night, so bring earplugs & eye mask if you're sensitive to light or talking during sleep hrs. Overall the accommodations served the purpose. The rooms are basic. Most of the staff were friendly & genuinely helpful especially David & Z & the mildly older gentleman (Tom?) who worked over night. Cleaning ladies were nice & so were the maintenance men. I got to practice a little Espanol. The location is good & accessible to subway & walking distance to various parts of Manhattan, grocery & convenience,drugstores up the block. The food in Chelseatown wasn't very good & deli food is a bit yucky, but I'm a picky person & that has no bearing on the hostel. Just subway out to St Marks or somewhere for better food. Didn't eat breakfast at hostel, but my roomies thought it was a good snack. Furnaces were a bit warm, so I bought a small portable fan from Kove Brothers Hardware around the corner to help if we needed circulation. It was too cold to open the windows all night. Don't forget a towel or you'll have to buy one over at Marshalls/Kmart /Bed Bath Beyond or use your bedsheet to dry yourself ;-) I'd definitely stay in the future. It's safe & they have internet & a fridge to put small stuff in kitchen. Its simple but sufficient. One major downside for my back was the lugging of bags up the steep old stairs, but most of the buildings in NY seem to be old & have lots of stairs, so pack light or bring someone strong with you or divide your stuff into smaller bags when you get to NY. It got a little loud b/c of the international people drinking for St. Patty's day & the courtyard can get a little loud due to echo of voices & smokers, but feel free to remind people of the courtyard QUIET hrs, b/c this hostel is next to apartments & police station & there's a noise ordinance in NY.

Room Tip: Be flexible you may have to change rooms
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo