“Quiet, hidden gem”
Review of Yuba Restaurant

Yuba Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Yuba Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,193 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East Village
Description: High quality sushi and sashimi prepared by ex-Masa chef Jack Wei. Easily overlooked Japanese restaurant in East Village, a raw gem waiting to be discovered by the world.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

First off, it’s my belief some of the earlier reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, since Yuba is no longer a Korean restaurant, but now most known for sushi. And the sushi is very good. The location is almost hidden, in a non-descript location on 9th street. The restaurant is small, as is the sushi bar, but the attraction isn’t the decor, it’s the food. The menu is very extensive, as well as the rotating list of unique specials, and the items you’ll find on the menu are inventive. I’ve never been disappointed by Yuba. The sushi is good, the appetizers are good, and specials always please. I really enjoy the duck and foie gras buns, not a traditional Japanese dish, but damn tasty. The service is very attentive, but I didn’t find them overbearing like a previous reviewer did. The atmosphere leaves a little to be desired, but the food more than makes up for it. Delivery holds up as well, something to be said for a sushi place.

2  Thank MuggsyMurphy

Reviewed April 6, 2013

With a friend last night for an early dinner. The endless "welcome" and introduction to the menu from the staff were intrusive and unnecessary. I went out with my friend to spend time with her, not the staff! I've never been asked my name when sitting at my table, as happened both at the start and the end of my meal, and I'm old enough to be the mother of both managers who asked me. Wine "on the house" was offered but we don't drink - but the staff tried again with free sake at the end of the meal. Again we refused but they insisted "on the house." We had made it clear that we don't drink so this second intrusion was unwarranted (did we look as if we couldn't afford a drink if we'd wanted one?). Fugu tempura was on the menu. My friend was intrigued but said it was nothing special. She wasn't overly impressed by her "rolls" either. I had the sashimi set, with white rice that cost extra (!!!). The sashimi was delicious so I'd give that four stars.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

A friend and I went for lunch on a Monday. There was no one in there at noon, but I don't know why! Their sushi was FANTASTIC! It was made with fresh ingredients and the taste was great. Would certainly visit there again. We don't have very good sushi places where I live now and this is what I miss about good sushi. Prices were reasonable for the area."

1  Thank sdgrl619
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I was navigating around MenuPages and came across what sounded like a very unique Korean restaurant. It was located outside of K-Town and had some of the most interesting dishes I have ever come across. While mainly sticking to tradition, the culinary list was also graced by many other creative meals that piqued my hunger. I scanned the electronic menu and began to salivate. I quickly forwarded the link to my Korean friend, who concurred that everything sounded spectacular. We agreed that we had to make our way to Sura as soon as possible.

We wound up making our way there after a long night of barhopping and even an earlier dinner...yes, we are disgusting I know. Hey, when I have a new restaurant nagging at my mind, I need to fulfill my curiosity! Unfortunately, we were extremely disappointed by the quality of our meal.

Although our servers were very friendly and attentive, they did not provide the usual multitude of starting side dishes. We were merely presented with small mounds of cabbage and radish kimchi, neither of which was as well-seasoned and potent as they should have been.

We started with the Pear And Pork Delight appetizer, which was an elegant plate of thinly cut bbq pork layered amongst crunchy pear slices. A glaze of chili miso, soy sauce and raspberry was drizzled across the dish. The pork was lean and perfectly cooked. The sweet sauce was a great enhancement. However, the temperature difference between the warm meat and cool fruit was rather off-putting. Also, a Granny Smith apple would have provided a better flavor balance than the bland Asian pear.

The Dolsot-Bibimbop was the traditional crispy rice served in sizzling stone pot with various marinated vegetables and beef topped with a firm egg yolk waiting to be broken and spread throughout the bowl. Unfortunately, the beef strands were bland and even adding heaps of chili paste did nothing to kick up the flavor.

The Beef Bulgogi sirloin was thinly sliced and lean. It was marinated in its standard sweet soy sauce, but this version was overly syrupy with a tongue-coating sugarness. Sauteed mushrooms, carrot slices, and a head of broccoli adorned the sizzling platter, attempting to lighten the heavy meal.

The Sundubu-Jjigae - Soontofu Stew was a hardy blend of tofu, vegetables, seafood, and egg. The tofu was very mushy, and what was supposed to be a spicy soup was just bland.

We were happy to receive multigrain rice rather than the usual white variety. It's sticky chunks made it easy to dip into the bulgogi sauce.

Overall, we found that the creative-sounding dishes failed to back their descriptions with the flavors we had longed for. Perhaps our turned up noses could be blamed on the late hour of our arrival or our already full bellies, but neither of us would opt to return to Sura. There are just too many better meals to be had in Koreatown.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 3, 2008

The chef is excellent, and a very nice man. He used to cook at the Korean vegetarian specialist Hangaui. He now specializes in his own brand of updated Korean dishes. The pork and pear is amazing. It is a wonderful place for lunch, mainly because the stews are quite good. The lunch boxes are always filling, and a normal price for a lunch deal in New York. The ambiance at dinner time is amazing, and the food has never failed to leave me satisfied.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook