“Perfect stay”

The NoMad Hotel
Ranked #61 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Perfect stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and I just spent a very nice five days at the NoMad.

We travel to NYC frequently and have tried many hotels, with the Sofitel perhaps our favorite...until now.

We indulged in a suite thanks to a Jetsetter "sale", and everything was great, the enthusiastic welcome at the door, the room layout (our suite had no real view, as the windows faced the side street, but even then, everything has been calculated perfectly, even from the shower you have a side view of typical NY brown brick buildings), the bottle of wine from the manager, the hotel restaurant (more on this later), the beautiful people in and around the hotel at all times, the subway station RIGHT at the door, etc

In short, among the hotels we have tried in NYC, perhaps this one best captures the NYC experience we are all looking for when travelling there.

The vintage room décor is great, the bed was sumptuous, the bathroom spacious and efficient, really all 1st class.

The location is perfect in our view, in the middle of everything, close to Midtown on one side and Chelsea on the other side.

The hotel restaurant was also a nice surprise. It is huge, exudes trendiness and is very popular. It was hard to get a table for a Sunday night, we phoned from outside around 3PM and were told the place was full for the evening, but then they were able to find a table once we said we were hotel guests.

We went for the signature (when in Rome...) chicken dish and did not regret it, what a treat! My only semi-negative comment is that the extensive (62 pages on IPAD) wine list is way too pricey, with no selections to speak of in the $30-50 range and only a random few between $50-100, so that more than 80 0r 90% of the list is priced $100+...This does not match with the rather moderate food prices in the menu and is inexcusable in my view, given the abundance of good moderately priced wines in today's world in general, and in the US in particular.

Finally, if you are visually challenged, this might not be the proper place for you. The great atmosphere is created in part by using very little ambient lighting and a lot of areas (lobby, corridors,elevators, etc) are dark to very dark.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank QuietCouple3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

And here’s my stay @ the NoMad:
1. Greeted with energy and big smiles by the bell staff.
2. Front desk personal went out of their way to make the three of us; two girls, one adult, comfortable in our spacious room (much bigger than other ‘boutique’ hotels in Manhattan)
3. For Brunch don’t miss the de-li-ci-ous Flatbread and house made Viennoiseries with a cappuccino.
4. Catching up on emails could not be more pleasant than @NoMad Library, specially encountering unexpected friends.
Just the right mix of buzz and luxury!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I really can’t say enough good things about this hotel. Yes, the lobby, elevators and halls are quite dark. But the rooms themselves have both ample lighting, and in our case, large windows letting in tons of natural light. They are absolutely not dark. We were in a “Grande Room” which felt larger than the 400 square feet noted on the website. Traveling with my 12 year old son, we did not make use of the in-room claw foot tub, but there was a beautiful (more private) shower as well. Service was exceptional. The staff was incredibly responsive and friendly.
The most notable feature of the property was the level of beautiful detail in the room. From the gleaming reclaimed wood floors, to the eclectic mixes of both art and textiles, I truly felt as if we were in a someone’s home. This is so much more than a generic, luxury hotel room. The rooms are even better than they look in the photos online. We had no problems with noise and the room was very, very clean.
In the interest of full disclosure, we were on the 4th floor facing Broadway, and a few times I could sense vibrations from the adjacent subway. It was not at all bothersome and I heard no noise. In addition, the streets immediately adjacent to the hotel are full of wholesale shops selling cheap hats, purses, cell phone covers, etc., so I can’t say that they are particularly charming, but that is literally just the few blocks immediately adjacent to the property. Herald Square, Madison Square Park, the Empire State Building, Penn Station, FIT, the Flatiron building, Madison Square Garden, just to name a few are all within a 10 block walk. This is the part of Broadway that is one way and not nearly the bustling avenue that you see uptown. The street was quiet with a large bike lane.
Finally, we did not eat visit either the restaurant or bar. It does appear that the hotel is about to open an additional eatery next door with an exit directly onto the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LydiaClaire
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I know the experience was also helped by the incredible time I had with three friends but the NoMad really was exceptional. Such fabulous and friendly staff, incredibly comfortable beds with wonderful sheets and duvets, good location. Lovely bar for cocktails. Never tried the famed roast chicken so I'll have to go back. Round the corner from the Ace where you should line up for coffee and a croissant filled with pulled pork and pickle. Oh my god delicious.
Only downsides are that it's so popular that as a resident at the hotel you can quickly find that you've got nowhere to go because all the beautiful people have snagged every seat in the restaurant or library bar.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mangoed
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We really loved this hotel. The location is great, close to the Flatiron building and Union Square, which is a good bet for breakfast at the Farmer's market especially on a sunny day. The staff was helpful and friendly without being overbearing. The library is a great place for a couple of cocktails before dinner. I really loved our room, we were at the back and it wasn't noisy (the view wasn't great obviously but it didn't matter to me), i loved the floorboards, the cornicing and the cool bathroom and toiletries. It is classic and trendy at the same time in perfect balance. We had room service one night late after a Broadway show and it was pretty good. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lyds76
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I've stayed in many NYC hotels, good, bad and indifferent, and the NoMad is definitely a standout. Perfect unobtrusive yet friendly service, gorgeously appointed rooms designed by the masterful Jacques Garcia, and handily situated to hit spots like Eataly, ABC Carpet & Home and more. I've stayed here frequently for both business and pleasure, and have always managed to get the same Classic room that's both large and well appointed (love the walk-in shower, quirky collected artwork, wide-plank wooden floors, Frette linens and Cote Bastide toiletries). Do stop in at the lovely bar for one of their fab old-school cocktails...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Having recently stayed at The Greenwich in Tribeca (still my #1 NYC favorite) and the Bowery Hotel, I've been spoiled for exceptional NYC hotel experiences.

The NoMad easily made the grade and now takes its place for me among those rarefied options in my travel list.

The rooms are beautiful, elegant, and classic in this gorgeous building. The design is that studied - but absolutely effective eclectic timeless cool. Slowly, you can see this neighborhood becoming increasingly popular with the young, hip set, and with the Ace and Shake Shack blocks away, you've got two must visit spots very close by, with Hell's Kitchen, Flatiron, and the Village, (and Eataly!) a short walk away.

From booking to a friendly email the concierge sent shortly after booking (but weeks before check-in) inquiring as to my arrival time, to reservations set up for me in advance, the staff was always kind and effective, but not intrusive. The NoMad restaurant served my guests and I one of the finest meals I've ever had - and without question the best chicken I've ever had; this is, after all, one of the main reasons I chose to stay here to enjoy the Eleven Madison Park pedigreed cooking team.

The bathrooms were gorgeous, the water pressure fantastic, and large picture windows wonderfully atmospheric; I always knew where I was.

I have several minor quibbles with the hotel, none of which, even combined, are large enough for this picky reviewer to take away one of the stars of the hotel, but show that management could do a little more "secret shopping" of the total customer experience, which might be expected of the best hotels in the city:

1) The gentleman that helped me carry my bag up to my room at check-in casually mentioned me he thought I'd be in a room that had an Empire State Building view. Imagine my disappointment that my fifth floor room had no such view.
2) Lunch/brunch service in the restaurant has a too "hands off" service feeling; my server forgot my coffee order, and I had to get the servers attention twice for other needs.
3) The water cooler in the gym needs more than those tiny childlike dixie cups to drink out of; not only do 4 of them come out unavoidably when you just try to take one, but after a vigorous work out, you have to refill them 10 times to get the equivalent of one long water foundation drink. (Also, TechnoGym is atrocious - upgrade to Precor, and refill the deflated exercise ball) 4) The carpet in the fifth floor hallway had a mildewy smell at times, and housekeeping left a broken vacuum cleaner visible for much of a full day while I was here.
5) I was asked at check-in whether I wanted turndown service in the 5pm hour or the 8pm hour, chose the latter hour, and yet was surprised when every evening promptly at 5pm, I got a knock on the door from the turndown housekeeper.
6) The beds are so short, at least 5" of my feet hung over the end. I got used to it, but found it odd.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo