“Casual Fantastic hotel”
Review of The NoMad Hotel

The NoMad Hotel
Ranked #50 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I went to New York City with my cousin and spent 2 nights at the NoMad Hotel based on a recommendation of a friend that lives in Chelsea. It was pretty fantastic. There was a nice relaxed elegant feel throughout our stay. I originally couldn't find a room with 2 beds online but then when we called pretty easily found one available. The whole hotel is very nicely renovated with good eye for decor. Had a great shower with high walls, high enough for my 6 ft 3 in cousin. He didn't have to bend down even once in the hotel. There were some very nice touches including beautiful blankets, excellent lighting, cool free mags and paper choice. One morning we just couldn't get out of our room and had even forgotten to leave out a do-not-disturb and were left alone. There was also the location close to Madison Square Garden and union square. Twice with help from the hotel we were able to get dining at the Nomad restaurant which was excellent! We felt pretty special because other Locals were turned away but they definitely catered to Hotel guests. Also the Library is pretty fantastic ambiance.

We originally had wondered if we wanted to stay near Times square but I am so glad we didn't. It was quiet in our rooms and although many of the taxi-drivers had never heard of the Hotel, when they all saw it they all made the same notation about the nice hotel. It is in a neighborhood that seems to be up and coming with much scaffolding surrounding it. It meant our trip pretty special.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor overlooking the restaurant which had a wonderful glass dome so tha...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Didi K
There are newer reviews for The NoMad Hotel

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I usually read the negative reviews on places before going, to see what people complain about. In this case other people thought noise was a problem - I didn't find that we were on the 7th floor on the weekend and were surprised how quiet it was. A really nice and comfortable design - think Restoration Hardware, in terms of new things designed to look old, which some might find funny. Highlight for me was how personable the hotel staff was and the rooms. Really unexpected and I thought it was well worth the $.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We spent 5 nights here during some of the coldest days in January, 2013.
The good things:
Loved the decor. It is warm, cozy and homely. Freestanding bathtub and good amenities.
Even though the temperature outside was extremely low we never had trouble staying warm inside the room.
Location is great, if you want to stay midtown. We usually stay downtown, and will probably continue to do so on future stays in NYC, but for a midtown location we liked it.
Restaurant was good - we only had breakfast here. Seemed to be a very classy affair for dinner, which we didn't feel up to (traveling with a 12 year old).
The "not so good, but could live with" things:
Noise from street (to be expected, bearing in mind that we were right in NYC). We could feel the subway as a rustle when laying in bed.
Very expensive breakfast (but delicious). Temperature in restaurant quite cold.
We had looked forward to afternoons in the library but the temperature in there was freezing! I don't know why - people sat in there with coats on.
Would I recommend this hotel to others? Absolutely, if they were looking for a midtown location I have not come across a more delightful place to stay. Would I stay again? Probably not, I guess I like the downtown location more, so would opt for that in the future. But the hotel itself is lovely.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank katrineCPH
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I were on a long weekend trip to New York, and on the recommendation of the fashion blogger Garance Doré, we chose the NoMad hotel. I think NoMad stands for North Madison, the area of this hotel.
We stayed on the 12th floor in a beautiful Atelier room. We decided to go for dinner in the restaurant, and it was very good. Pricy, but worth it. The waiter serving us was a bit odd, not very helpful, but that didn't alter the experience.
The bed is beautifully comfortable, and luckily being on the 12th floor, we heard no noise at all, either from the street or from the neighbouring rooms - best night's sleep I have had in a long time!
We went for breakfast in bed, which again is v pricey, but for the delicious granola, and lovely patisseries, we didn't regret it. Ask for a big pot of hot water for tea though, since you only get tiny pots, and for me, at 6 dollars, one cup is not enough.
The location of the hotel is fantastic, especially if you plan to walk alot - we walked right down to the Brooklyn bridge and beyond, following Broadway from the hotel, passing through greenwich & soho for shopping and lunch, and onto the Brooklyn brige.
The staff are discreet and helpful. Compared to the larger chain hotel we had chosen for the first night, where the receptionist took forever to create our key cards, and constantly asked questions about where we were from, and kept up a long and boring conversation whereas we had just arrived from a cross atlantic flight! Thank goodness then for the staff at the NoMad for keeping checking in to a 3 minute affair !
All in all, I would def go back, spend the same, splash out etc. It is not often hotels are as nice as this.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor room. On the 12th floor, opposite the lift, we had no noise at all.
2  Thank nevcat
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here several times in last month.
Amazing place
Over the top suite with outstanding terrace.
Library is just beautiful with amazing ambience. Service at library was lackluster. The hotel is amazing ignore the vendors across the street.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank yostart
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Had this hotel recommended as a good place to eat and was not disappointed. The service was attentive but not intrusive, the dining room itself was quirky. Food was good and for America I was surprised that the portion sizes were not too big! All in all and good experience

2  Thank karamarr
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were very happy about our choice. The NoMad Hotel is a charming and beautifully restored building in the Flatiron district. The room, with its hardwood floors and high ceilings, was so cozy and full of little details all in perfect French style so that I felt back in my hometown. The bed was extremely confortable with a plush-top mattress and down conforter and pillows. We loved sitting at the Library lounge with a drink while watching the sophisticated New York crowd. One night we tried the restaurant and we had some delicious food that we are still talking about.
We'll definitely come back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple