“Hip NYC Luxury at it's best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The NoMad Hotel

The NoMad Hotel
Ranked #39 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Newport News, VA
“Hip NYC Luxury at it's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Forgive me if this is a long review but there is much that I have to say about this hotel. My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon and I am going to separate this into two parts because of the two separate rooms that we stayed in.
The first 3 nights of our stay we were in The Atelier, their second tier room. When we first entered we struck by the beauty of the reclaimed wood floors, the artwork on the walls and the sheer coziness of the room. At 370 sq. ft. there isn't much to play with but whoever designed this room sure packed a punch. The king size bed with leather headboard was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The set up of the sink and shower behind the room divider was absolute genius, giving the room a larger feel than it really had, and the claw foot tub by the window was not only a romantic touch but also gave the room an intimate old world feel that I have never felt in a hotel room before. No details in this room went overlooked, from the artwork on the walls to the luxurious bath amenities that were provided.
The last two nights of our honeymoon we decided to splurge on the suite and we were glad we did. I can't even begin to explain how amazing this room was. The bathroom was huge, with a double sink, claw foot tub and walk-in shower that could hold a small gathering. A cozy living room led to an oversized bedroom with a king bed at one end overlooking three oversized windows at the other. A nice touch was the bottle of champagne that was provided to us in both rooms the first night!
Truly an experience that we would never forget The Nomad provided us with a mix of New York and Parisian charm and style that we have never seen available at other hotels. Be warned that the bar downstairs is one happening spot, even on a Tuesday night, so if you're looking to hang out there grab a spot early. The mixed drinks are worth every penny. Definitely try the Jive Turkey. I still can't stop thinking of how I felt like an international spy when drinking it. The restaurant is amazing...and expensive. Still if you splurge on a dinner anywhere do it here. I don't think you'll regret it. It's also been known to have a celebrity pop in as well, although we didn't spot anybody while eating there. The staff is very kind and responsive to all your needs, from providing an emergency sewing kit when I had a button dilemma right before we were leaving to the theater, to providing a vase and arranging and delivering the flowers I had bought for my wife from a wholesaler down the street. Definitely give them a look see...some of the best flowers I have ver seen. The location is very NYC...busy and a little rough. Still Madison Square Park is just a few blocks away, the N/R train is right at the corner and the 1/9 is just two blocks away and the Empire State Bldg. is about a 10 min. stroll. The hotel as a whole has an electric vibe that cannot be denied. Whether its because its new or because it just has that soul inherent to it is yet to be decided. Personally I feel this hotel will truly stand the test of time. Can't wait for our next visit. Surely one of our new favorites!

3 Thank Matthew P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed in the NoMad for four nights in the middle of October on a JetSetter rate which was slightly cheaper than the usual rates (but still not exactly a bargain - welcome to New York). However, the hotel was worth every penny.

Pros:
- Very big rooms (I had an atelier room which is the second "smallest", but it was massive) with amazing design. To name a few features: Extremely big bathtub (NoMad, beware of drowning stoned Rockstars!), toilet hidden by a room divider that is actually the door.
- Great amenities
- Fantastic design thought through from the beginning to the end. Everything is different from a normal hotel. It actually feels more like a home than a hotel.
- Everything looks like on the website - no misleading pictures.
- Hotel personnel is young, hip, good-looking and very friendly.
- Location is absolutely fine. Maybe the block itself needs a bit of a revamp, but I always felt safe and one block into any direction leads you into nice neighbourhoods.

Cons:
- Service personnel at breakfast has to be trained. My waiter touched me on the shoulder in a "mate-like" way. Waiters shouldn't do that. In addition, I got charged 6 or 8 USD for dry toast that came late (I repeat: toast without butter or marmelade or anything). With all due respect for the setting - toast should be free if you have already ordered a 20-30 USD breakfast.

Room Tip: Atelier rooms with bathtubs - they are big enough and great. You don't need anything bigger.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Nice staff, elegant, hype, very good restaurant, though the room would be better off without the surrounding music.
Comfortable, though not very spacious rooms.
A spot to visit in Manhattan. If not a guest, at least go for a drink at the excellent bar, or for a wonderful dining experience.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank carlosmp
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Since my first trip to NYC I’m trying to find a place comfortable enough, in a place the same time not full of people, but easy to get all infrastructure amenities and easy to get in.
This is the right place.
You won’t lose yourself here in a crowd, but a lot of shops, restaurants, night clubs are very near. It’s easy to get here (taxi or subway) or leave the place any time.
Regarding the hotel itself there are some merits, like small quantity of rooms on every floor, clearness of the rooms, view from the windows (upper floors), but some defects also exist. Windows and room doors are thin and it’s quite noisy.
You should attend a restaurant in the lobby: although people shout here like they are in the bar, the European cuisine itself is amazing for NYC.

Room Tip: choose a room on the upper floor. You'll get a window view and less noise to sleep well.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I felt like I'd walked into a movie set ... or at least one of the hippest places to be in Manhattan. Gorgeous, petite hotel. Very unassuming from the outside. High ceilings. Crazy-cool lobby bar and restaurant off the stately sitting area in the lobby. One of the best meals I've had in New York--and I work in the food/wine business. So much fun.

Oh. The rooms. I could live here. My room was as big as a New York apartment. It was only missing the kitchen. Very Restoration Hardware catalog in terms of the decor.

I would go back in a heartbeat. Was it expensive? Extremely. But if your company is paying, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Lisa M
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just back from staying here for 4 nights, can't recommend highly enough...

The restaurant and bar area were fantastic with a great atmosphere. Probably not suitable for a family.

Room was great, 24hr room service with freshly prepared hot food, great bed and shower, and not that noisy (we were on the higher floors).

Position I felt was excellent for heading uptown and downtown, with plenty to do round the area.

The only thing I'd say is I hope it is still as good when I return...don't let it slip Nomad!

1 Thank _12Mac12_
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had 2 separate stays at the NoMad Hotel on our visit to New York and both were superb. The rooms are spacious, clean, beautifully decorated and had fast free WiFi. The beds were luxurious and very comfortable giving us much needed rest. We stayed on the 10th and 12th floors and found that both the rooms were extremely quiet. All the staff were terrific and extremely helpful and resolved some minor issues we had easily and quickly. The shower was worth the stay alone but we found the bar and restaurant to be some of the best in the city. We thought the location was great and offered convenient access to all parts of town. I highly recommend this hotel if you are planning a trip to New York. Well done and thank you NoMad, you were an outstanding highlight of our NY trip!

Room Tip: Rooms facing W 28th St offer terrific view of the Empire State Building
1 Thank HJPMac