“clean and classy”
Review of The NoMad Hotel

The NoMad Hotel
Ranked #57 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 14, 2012

our attempt for a bargain night in NYC turned into a luxury stay we will remember for years. We booked a classic room for our family of 3 (parents and 11 year old child), and got the discount price advertised on the discount site. upon arrival, we asked for a possible upgrade and were upgraded to a Grande room w/ just a $40 charge for a "cot" which was really an extremely comfortable portable bed, not a cot at all. We were thrilled to be offered such a nice room worth twice what we paid. The cleanliness, the gorgeously lacquered wood floors and everything in the room was brand new and exactly as pictured on the website. Let's hope they can keep this property as spic and span as it is now, for years to come, and I will certainly return. Never stayed in a NYC hotel with such unique and gorgeous furnishings (and I've stayed in NYC a couple times a year for years). Felt more like a posh apt, than a hotel room. Great big big windows and the neighborhood is mellow. Have breakfast at Birch Coffee around the corner, and you are good to go.

Room Tip: The Grand room was grande and completely quiet
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank joeranger

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Checked in today to the Nomad for a two night stay. From reception to the upgraded room, the wonderful aesthetic as evidenced by the vintage photos and objets d'art on the walls. Coolor pallets in the common areas is soothing, dark, a little moody but in a totally noire way.

A quick example of good service. I needed to quickly print an attachment from an email. The front desk offered to have me email them the PDF and they printed and delivered it to my room within 5 minutes.

Housekeeping does a great job durin the twice a day service.

The beds are second to none in terms of all elements including properly firm goose down pillows.

Love the steamer truck disguised as a minibar.

Bathrooms are first class including frette towels and robes. Toiletries are abundant and from a famous French parfumerie house in Paris.

Finaly, special thanks to Jenny Isikoff. She really went out of her way to make my stay comfortable. I've got two more nights here before I check out but I can already tell you that this property is the only place to stay in New York

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Miamiboys
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Loved this hotel! I always try to stay in boutique hotels and this one is well located, has great decor, great ambiance and a good restaurant. We stayed in a salon room which was a good size but very well laid out. The bathroom is tastefully done with adequate room for toiletries.

The front desk was extremely helpful with booking car service and making reservations on our behalf. Unfortunately, we missed out on dining on the Rooftop due to uncooperative weather but still enjoyed cocktails there that were very fresh and tasty. The only negative point to the Rooftop is the extra service charge....

Will definitely return

Room Tip: Our friends chose the least expensive room and they were pleasantly surprised at the size and layout...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank quadromtl
Reviewed August 7, 2012

A group of us stayed at The Nomad for nearly a week and our conclusions were the same: Cool, clever and creative interior design of rooms and public spaces (especially the library), very good service from a young and lively team, but the restaurants purportedly run by the same folk at Eleven Madison falls very, very short of the mark. We had a tasting menu at the Cupola (rooftop private room) and the food was a complete disappointment. An expensive disappointment!

Room Tip: The Atelier room is reasonably priced and very functional.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Riosupermom
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We often seek out smaller, more intimate hotels -- places that our friends have never heard of -- which led us to the NoMad. There is a subdued, somewhat eerie ambiance on entering the lobby. Dark, quiet tones abound. We checked in on a hot, humid afternoon and felt soothed just walking through the door. The desk was well staffed, so we were immediately accommodated. The young lady who checked us in could have been more welcoming, but, from that point forward, the staff was excellent. The room was nicely appointed, with numerous original framed pieces. The large, claw on ball tub was in the room itself (the bathroom was quite small) which we thought a bit odd, but we soon became accustomed to it. The bedding was top shelf. On the downside, the A/C was marginal and there was a hint of subway rumble in our fifth floor room.The rooftop bar staff was great and the bartenders fabulous. We left for dinner a little tipsy, but content. We walked to a restaurant a few blocks away. The neighborhood is jammed with cheap jewellery/t-shirt/cell phone shops and there is a veritable maze of construction scaffolding to be negotiated. It's just no fun walking around this area. On balance, a comfortable boutique hotel that I would visit again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less subway rumble.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pfmattia
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The hotel experience was good, but the dining experience at the restaurant was out of this world! I recommend the Seafood Plateau and the signature Chicken dish - brilliant!
The hotel rooms were well appointed and the service in the hotel overall very engaged and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank 313Travelbird
Reviewed July 22, 2012

What about The NoMad, a brand new hotel North of Madison Square Park? Well, let me tell you, there is a lot to tell about The NoMad. The options to put your head to rest in the city are endless, but I am very picky. I am looking for a hotel that is an elongation of my eclectic fashion identity, the service has to be top notch and my heart has to go bananas when I take my first steps into the hotel.

And this is exactly what happened when I entered The Nomad hotel. The dark mood overloaded me with a feeling of peace and tranquility. It is such a contradiction to the crazy multi-cultural setting outside. And that is making it even more interesting. In other words, the hotel is located at the most perfect eclectic corner in NYC.

My first impression took my breath away. Heavy materials, fabrics and colors are combined to transfer you to another universe or even to another era. An era that was driven by elegance and mystery. You want to look left and right to take a glance at the other guests. But the setting makes that quite impossible. After taking a ride with a vintage elevator, an interesting corridor takes you to your room. And you slightly wonder: am I at the Orient Express?

We preferred a Salon corner room on a high floor and they granted our request. When I entered the room both my bag and my jaw fell right on the hardwood floor. You walk in the room by a small hallway which is a forerunner of something magnificent. Talking about being in awe. How can you combine deep and rich fabrics with such brightness? It is a design mystery to me. They created a sophisticated pied-à-terre that feels like a true haven. I did not know where to look, literally, because the views come in plural. Being in a corner room we could take advantage of three spectacular views of the north of Madison Square Park area. I could almost spot the hip and trendy Ace hotel.

And now some special words about the bed. All luxury nyc hotels talk about Egyptian cotton (read: the beds cost millions). But in this large marshmallow you close your eyes with a smile on your face. One minor setback: we are dealing with the tinniest bathroom alive. Perfectly designed but oh so small. So small that I never closed the door while using it.

The vibe and the overall atmosphere are magnificent and extraordinary. Everywhere I looked my eyes started to sparkle even a little bit more. But there is room for improvement. The amenity kit in the bathroom is limited and complementary water would have been a fabulous treat during the heat wave. Oh and the newspapers are complimentary too, but you have to ask for them yourself. Will I go back to NoMad hotel? DEFINITELY. Let's say that the NoMad hotel is a less well-oiled machine than the Greenwich hotel, but the potential and the possibilities of the hotel are endless.

note: unfortunately I was not permitted to take photos of the public areas.

Room Tip: corner room on a higher floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple