“Excellent hotel, spacious rooms, clean and great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The NoMad Hotel

The NoMad Hotel
Ranked #61 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel, spacious rooms, clean and great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I booked this hotel after seeing an article in Conde Nast announcing it's recent opening. It was exactly what I expected, clean, central in midtown, and very comfortable and quiet. I had the best time in New York and had a great hotel to go back to and have a good night sleep. The room were spacious and nice toiletries. The library is charming and great place for cocktails. All in all everything you want from a hotel in a big city, and the staff were very friendly...

Room Tip: We had room 911 - we didn't object as it turned out we had a great view of the empire state buil...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

My son goes to NYU so I visit New York quite often ,and have stayed everywhere from the Holiday Inn to the Four Seasons.

Myself and a couple of girlfriends decided at the last minute to go to New York for a quick one night get away to celebrate two of us turning 50(ugh)!

Not realizing it was such a busy weekend in the city , and our first choice being booked( Trump Soho), we landed upon the NoMad. Lucky for us, because this is a fabulous new hotel.

Shortly after booking I received an e-mail from the hotel, asking for any requests,or if there was anything they could do for us prior to our arrival.After our stay ,I received another e-mail checking to make sure everything was OK during our stay.

Upon arrival, our room was set up with a roll a way bed and a bottle of champagne with a birthday card!Nice touch and a great way to start our day! Our room was on the 8 th floor and it was beautiful! It was large with a king bed,2 chairs,a small desk, 2 large windows, high ceilings, large flat screen TV, large closet and large bathroom. The bathroom had a large shower,separate toilet area, and double sink.Our room was the "salon" category .

The linens were top quality( even on the roll-a-way bed). The bed super comfortable.The room was quiet, we heard no street noise at night.

But, what really made our trip special was the staff.Everyone we encountered was warm,friendly and polite. Daryl and Wyatt at the front door were the best!! The service was excellent in all areas we encountered.

The only concern for some may be the area, but don't let this deter you.Although the block is a little funky, with many costume jewelry stores, you are only a few minutes walk from Union Square and the Flatiron area.Also the subway is right on the corner,and it is a straight shot on the subway up to Columbus Circle/ Central Park , if you need to go uptown.There is a good coffee shop at the Ace hotel( one block), but it was really crowded so I actually got a great cup of coffee across the street at some coffee shop( out the hotel door ,go left ,at corner cross street,it's right there, plaza something??).We ate dinner at a Mediterranean restaurant around the corner on 5th called ilili, the food was excellent ,but make reservations because it was very crowded.

The hotel has a well equipped gym, no spa ,but they offer in room spa services. The front desk recommended Ohm Spa,but we didn't have time to try it...next time!

Room service was quick, we ordered a few appetizers and wine to enjoy while getting ready to go out, it was good. We tried to get reservations at the hotel restaurant but were not able to( very hot restaurant we hear), but we had drinks in the bar.The bar is beautiful and the drinks were excellent.

I am really looking forward to returning to the NoMad! The service was flawless,with no pretentious attitude!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank karlimd
West Sussex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Nomad for 3 nights. The location was perfect for us. We had several business meetings in Midtown so the hotel was ideally located for us. The hotel itself is very trendy, there is a bar scene during the evening if you wish to partake but it is well out of the way if you want to retreat to your room. The library is great as a peaceful seating area during the day or if waiting for you room to be prepared.

We had an Atelier room with a tub which was very comfortable and spacious by New York hotel standards. The bed was comfortable, the TV good, bathrobe and slippers very cosy and the actual room itself very stylish and enjoyable. There was a great supply of good towels and lovely bath lotions and potions.

For us though, the staff were exceptional. Customer service is SO important and more often than not it is an exception but from our experience it was standard at the Nomad. From the moment we arrived and our bags were collected from the taxi to the ordering of the town car to the airport upon our departure we have felt very looked after.

We arrived on an early flight (I had informed them beforehand and was aware that they would try and accommodate our early arrival if possible) at about 9am. Our bags were taken to storage so that we could relax in the library. We did a bit of work and were about to pop out for some breakfast at about 10:30am when we were greeted by a manager (I think) and were pleasantly informed that our room was ready. Not only that, it was a room with a bath (not all Atelier rooms have a bath). Again a request I had put in when I booked the hotel. The commencement of our stay at the Nomad started on a high and finished on a high. The staff were very accommodating, friendly and attentive. No matter how stylish or trendy an establishment, the staff can make or break a stay and we would definitely want to stay at the Nomad again.

The area

The immediate area is still on the up but there are some really great places to eat and drink.

Stumptown Coffee - Located a few steps away by the Ace Hotel is good for a caffeine fix and pastries (sweet and savoury).

Starbucks - a few steps to the left of the hotel. We are tea drinkers so we got a good cup of earl grey from here. A pot of earl grey was $7 at the Nomad so we frequented Starbucks.

Restaurants - to the right of the hotel there was a sandwich (sub) shop, a restaurant and there is a restaurant in the Ace Hotel (as well as obviously the well reviewed Nomad restaurant) but there are a fair few options within walking distance including a comfort food establishment called Hill Country Chicken which sells traditional fried chicken (was ok) and home made pies. A bit further down in the Flatiron dIstrict is a MASSIVE deli/market/eatery/cafe/ice cream parlour called Eataly. This place will really take your breathe away with its fresh produce and prepared meals. http://eatalyny.com/

Union Square- is not far away and Macy's, the Empire State Building is all within easy walking distance.

Airport transport

The doormen ordered a town car for us which was $70, not too far off from the cost of a taxi.

The hotel is certainly not cheap but if you want to save up for a special occasion a night or two at the Nomad would be perfect. Check out is at 12 pm which is great when the norm is usually 11am.

Room Tip: Not all rooms come with a bath but if they are an option, do request upon booking. If you have an...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Travelling_sales_grl
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

The place is so new you can still smell the fresh paint. I had a great stay, and while it was awesome like all the reviews, I think it still has a few more things to fix if it wants to truly earn its title as luxury hotel (and justify the $400+/night pricetag).

The good:
+ Decor and furnishings were top-notch and just beautiful - I could tell that it was designed by someone who was a traveler, and took the time to think about what makes a hotel a home for a fellow traveler. Little touches like slippers, luxurious linens, and the dimmers on all the lighting were greatly appreciated. One nit pick would be the sound proofing; I was expecting that more could have been done on the windows to shield some of the strest noise (a big problem at the Ace) but found that from my second floor room, the sound-proofing was fairly mediocre.

+ The bar (especially the library) is fantastic. I worry that it will become too popular! Maison Kitsune is a wonderful addition (and expensive pit stop!) to the retail scene in the area; it's a perfect match for the vibe of the hotel.

+ The "needs work"
Service is an area that I thought was spotty -- not that anyone did anything poorly, but more an absence of warmth/care that you would expect from a luxury hotel. A few quick examples - no one asked me at check-in if I wanted any help with my bags (i only had hand-carry bags, but that's beside the point). I had to ask to be directed to where the guest elevators were (no one talked about amenities, location of anything, etc). Upon checkout, no one asked me if I enjoyed my stay or if anything was amiss -- typically that's the first question that should come out of anyone's mouth at checkout time.

Will definitely be returning. The lovely bathtub alone makes me swoon. But let's work on the spotty areas and I'll be an even happier camper.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bathtub
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Vivian L
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

I've stayed everywhere - most recently Trump Soho and Gansevoort Park Ave (in one bedroom suites). Stayed this weekend in one bedroom suite on 5th floor, because it was the way to get a Sat night reservation in the Hotel's restaurant (which happens to be the hottest in NYC). Off the hook. hip and refined at the same time. My new favorite hotel in the City. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Suites are way to go - lots of room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Simonandfamily
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

The rooms are a lovely place to come back to from a day out in the city. They have a new old-world charm and luxury as well as a wonderful claw-foot tub in the middle of the room. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and the cocktails are some of the best and most unique the city has to offer. The neighborhood is still up and coming, but there are some cool places nearby and it's just north of the Flatiron district. I would completely recommend this new hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank annalisaandjames
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Bold presence. confident. smart.
describes the clientele, the staff and the drink menu.
they'll make your favorite drink well.