“Off-gassing polyurethane”
Review of The NoMad Hotel

The NoMad Hotel
Ranked #52 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 5, 2012

This is a brand new hotel. Within the past month, in fact within the past week, the hardwood floors were polyurethaned. They look lovely. Very shiny. However the fumes from the toxic overlay have not aired out. Fumes are flammable and often cause headaches. My husband is allergic to the fumes and becomes nauseous. We tried several rooms; all were still off-gassing. The customer service was polite and offered to air out the rooms with an ozone machine, which they explained would replace the air in the room. Alas, would not cure the shiny wood fumes. They alskisses kind and offered to find a hotel room for us in a nearby location . It was 4 pm Friday. Slim pickings. Weekend was really slam dunked into an unexpected dimension and became more of a hassle than romance for hubby and I. I wish this group of youngsters who are running this place all the best. But thier construction PM should have been on top of the scheduling and have had poly-Ed the floors 2 -3 months before opening. As is, most folks will experience a headache sleeping in off-gassing room with closed window. Please, if you have sensitivity, please be aware. Also gym/work out rooms were advertised but not ready for customer use. Most likely this place will be comfortable for those sensitive to chemicals 3-6 months from now ( may 2012)

Room Tip: Ask about fumes
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Christine P

Reviewed May 3, 2012

The NoMad just opened officially on April 1, which could be part of the reason it is still so clean but, it is truly a beautiful hotel with an amazingly friendly and attentive staff.

Don't be turned off by the location - which is a little odd for Manhattan. It is walking distance from the Flatirons shopping district, Union Square and just steps from the N/R train uptown or down to SoHo.

Loved it!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Spent 5 nights in April 2012 on a business trip in an "Atelier" room (one notch above the standard room) costing about $340 which is quite reasonable for a property like the NoMad (complimentary wifi BTW). This is an elegant and brand new hotel in the Flatiron district. The neighborhood is not very inspiring, but the warmness of the hotel and the professionalism of the staff make the stay a pleasant one. Did not get a chance to try the restaurant/bar, nor the gym (which was not ready for guests). Rooms are quite large for NYC standards and very well laid out and decorated beautifully. One complaint: tiny desk not suited for business travellers. Other than that I would not hesitate to recommend the NoMad over the Ace one block away.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NicMTL
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I have just returned from a weeks holiday in New York with my teenage daughter. Trying to find a hotel was a mindfield, there are so many. Having stayed at the Soho Grand last year with a friend I wanted to try something different and found a review on theTelegraph's website of a new hotel set to open called the NoMad. From my first enquiry with their reservations I got the feeling it was going to be good, Libby in reservations was a pleasure to deal with and so helpful, I opted for the classic room overlooking the atrium, which I upgraded two days before the trip to an Atelier with two queen size beds. Upon arriving at the hotel a little jaded our bags were taken to our room and we were greeted in a professional and exceptionally friendly manner by the staff on reception. The porter took us to our room and we were left to our own devices. Our room was perfect! Large (for New York) a fantastic bathroom, his and her sinks, a huge shower and seperate wc. The only downside maybe is storage a little limited, but I think travelling with a teenage daughter you'd never have enough! We took ourselves downstairs to the bar area for a drink. We were seated in the restaurant (which was full) and enjoyed a couple of drinks and a chat with the staff, explaining that we had just arrived and were set for a walking tour the next morning. Back in our room and after five minutes there was a knock at the door. Brandon, one of the staff we had chatted to arrived with a bag; in it was some granola, fruit and a card giving us two complimentary coffees to go to take on our tour, I was amazed, I have never experienced such personal service in New York. I can honestly say it was the best coffee I tasted all week! The beds are extremely comfortable, so much so my teenage daughter prefered it to hers and that's saying something! The rooms have high ceilings, large windows, decor is great, very welcoming, you feel like you are staying in someones house. Our room was always cleaned to a very high standard, turn down service was great, bath robes, slippers, hair dryer, iron and ironing board in the room but no tea or coffee making facilities. On the 2nd night we arrived back in the room to find a bottle of red wine with a note, a nice touch. The bar area is great, a long bar with seating, tables and a library. The bar was full from 5pm to 10.30 pm everynight of our stay; there was a great atmosphere and the bar staff very friendly and helpful, giving us tips on restaurants etc. Our room was a little noisy (at the time some work on MAISON KITSUNÉ was taking place) I spoke with reception and were promptly moved to the sixth floor and upgraded to a Salon. Fantastic! The restaurant is fantastic, we ate there on our 2nd night, the food and service was excellent, we opted for the Roast Chicken, if you go to New York and are lucky enough to get a table at this restaurant I would thoroughly recommend, it is amazing!
The hotel is in midtown on 28th street and Broadway (subway round the corner). I have to admit that at first I thought an odd area to place such a wonderful hotel,(small perfume and electrical shops around) but I cannot help but wonder if the owners have had forsight into what must be the next up and coming area in New York. You are easy walking distance to Times Square and Broadway, the Flaitron building, Union Square etc..
The guys on reception could not have been more helpful, Bri organised some fantastic restaurants for us from Balthazar, Pastis, and River Park. I took the Time Out guide the New York, even though I had been there before it was so helpful. We walked the HighLine, discovered Shake Shack, The Spotted Pig and so much more.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, my daughter had an amazing time, so did I, we were only too sad to leave, but I will definately return and when I do the NoMad will definately be my choice of hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank nikkiphillips
Reviewed April 19, 2012

WE just finished a night to celebrate my birthday at Nomad. They were so nice I thought I was in another world. Dinner was outstanding and the service impeccable. We even came back after the show and everyone came over to say hi in the bar. We were treated like royalty. Special place. Beautiful Jacque Garcia design, he's the best in the world. So go now and enjoy.

Room Tip: Rooms were small, but very well designed. Go for a suite if you can.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Rooms are nice but nothing special. The hotel has a great location close to everything in midtown. I would recommend for people who wants to stay around the midtown area. You can walk to Herald Square, Washington Square Park, 230 Fifth. The restaurant is outstanding, great mix of people, amazing food and drinks. I love the library bar, I had the scallops and it was out of this world, my girlfriend had the carrot dish and it was amazing too.

I would go back to this hotel and definately will go back to the restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank maylatur
Reviewed April 12, 2012

New to the NY dining scene, the restaurant and bar in the NoMad Hotel are outstanding. A wonderful ambiance mixes well with creative cocktails and a menu of wonderful bar snacks. The restaurant is outstanding. The chef is the 3 Michelin Star chef at Eleven Madison Park and the food is just as good. From appetizer to dessert you are in for a treat. The pasta with king crab is wonderful.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends