“All coffee should be this good”
Review of Third Rail Coffee

Third Rail Coffee
Ranked #157 of 461 Coffee & Tea in New York City
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cary, NC
“All coffee should be this good”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Tiny store off Washington Square in Greenwich Village. Very friendly baristas make coffee from fresh, locally roasted beans. I enjoyed a macchiato and chocolate chip cookie, both excellent. The other baked goodies looked equally delicious.

Dublin, Ireland
“Best coffee we tried in New York”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My fiancée, a coffee connoisseur, had marked on her NYC map the location of the highest recommended coffee places in NYC for us to try when we came to visit. She found this place amongst others in a local blog in which it received v. high praise.

It didn't disappoint, very well ground and brewed. No bitterness, just flavour. My fiancée said it was better than our local here in Dublin. Now that's a bit too far for me, and I don't know if in the warm light of day (it was very cold in NY at the time) she stands by that, but it's high praise indeed.

• Visited January 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Best coffee i had in nyc”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I went on a bit of a coffee shop pilgrimage durung my ten days in new york and third rail comes top of my list for a good cup. I had a macchiato to go. It was spot on. The staff were also friendly and helpful, so hats off to them.

• Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
“They know how to do espresso”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is one of the best coffee shops I've been to. They make great espresso every time, and their pastries are good too! It's a tiny place and can get really crowded, so don't expect that you'll get a seat. I overheard one of the baristas saying they make a point of not offering free wifi so they don't have people just camped out there all day. Fine with me, I just go for the coffee anyway.

• Visited July 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Truly Exceptional Coffee & Service”
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Too many coffee shops don't understand one simple fact: there is one way to make espresso and espresso-based drinks. It's a lot more science than art and there's not a lot of room for interpretation or complication. Third Rail DEFINITELY understands this. This place understands the importance of fresh beans, grind, extraction time and temperature. I've been drinking two cups a day since arriving in Greenwich Village a week ago and they are perfectly consistent. What's better, I'm always served with a smile. Highly recommended!

1 Thank peterjhinton