“Disney Overload”

Hampden, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Disney Overload”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This Disney Store was pretty big and quite orderly considering all the children touching and looking. I was disappointed they didn't have any smaller size pooh bears during our visit. They have a very nice bathroom...which is handy in Time Square.

Visited October 2012

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Another Disney store”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is a pretty typical Disney store like you would find in most cities. If you are a Disney fan or have a young person with you who is, you might want to visit, but I don't see this a 'must do' on a trip to New York.

Visited September 2012
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“WOW!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This place is amazing! Went here three times and spent hours looking at all the toys, dresses and great souvenirs they have here. If you bring your kids to N.Y. You must visit this shop and bring your wallet because the prices are extremely low compared to other toy stores.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Christina P
Montreal
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Disappointing Store”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had heard about the upcoming Time Square Disney store after the one on 5th Avenue closed. It was supposed to be an extraordinary interactive shopping experience. The new step in marketing evolution. But, as you've guessed, it is anything but extraordinary. In fact, it is a lamentable ordeal. I had such great expectations when I went in with my wife and 3 kids. Before I go on with this review, I should tell you that my family and I are Disney nuts! We've been to Orlando 5 times in the last 7years and we own a variety of Mickey Mouse and Disney character products. Me, I'm a kid at heart. I state this to underline the fact that the new store is so bad that it couldn't win us over. We miss the 5th Avenue store SO MUCH!!!. Shopping there WAS A MAGICAL EXPERIENCE! The old store had 3 stories. This new store supposedly has 3 stories but in fact, it only has 2. The old store carried a wide variety of products (umbrellas, watches, stationnaries, haprons, key chains, ice molds, oven mitts, antenna toppers, etc.), the new one only has plush toys, princess dresses and NYC merchandise. The 5th Avanue store had a "Art of Disney" department, now, you have to go to F.A.O. Schwarz (which is located on 5th Avenue!) to buy a painting of a Disney character. And one last thing: the staff members of the old store were all smiles (as the cast members of Disney World are) but, maybe because of the heat the day we visited, the new store employees hardly smiled.

This new store concept seems to have spread to other Disney stores as well. During our trip to NYC, we were staying in Jersey City. Behind our hotel was a mall in which there was a Disney store. Same story as in New York: very poor inventory, very few products to choose from. All merchandise from the parks is now available only in the parks. Seems to me like a very sad marketing scheme to draw more people to the parks. As a Disney aficionado, I (like all the members of my family) am extemely disappointed in this new store strategy and I long for the former store.

A word of advise: the next time you go to New York, save yourself a trip and avoid the Disney store. This way, you might preserve some of the 5th Avenue magic in your heart and mind.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Jean-Claude_A
Collegeville PA
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Not as big as old place”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Disney relocated to Times Square and their new store isn't as big as their old store, but it's still a really good store. It's 2-stories of all sorts of Disney products and I can't seem to ever get out of there without buying something when I'm with the kids. While it can be crowded, it's certainly not as crowded as the nearby Toys-R-Us. If you are in the area and have kids with you, it's worth stopping by.

Visited August 2012