“Great music, terrific sets.”
Review of Newsies The Musical - CLOSED

Newsies The Musical
More attraction details
Owner description: Disney's NEWSIES, the breakout new American musical, is now on Broadway in New York City! The musical, based on the beloved 1992 Disney movie musical of the same name, features a score by eight-time Academy Award® winner Alan Menken (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Sister Act) and Jack Feldman and a book by four-time Tony® Award winner Harvey Fierstein (La Cage aux Folles, Torch Song Trilogy). NEWSIES is directed by Tony nominee Jeff Calhoun (Big River revival) and choreographed by Tony nominee Christopher Gattelli (South Pacific revival). Set in New York City at the turn of the century, NEWSIES is the rousing tale of Jack Kelly, a charismatic newsboy and leader of a ragged band of teen aged ‘newsies,’ who dreams only of a better life far from the hardship of the streets. But when publishing titans Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst raise distribution prices at the newsboys’ expense, Jack finds a cause to fight for and rallies newsies from across the city to strike for what’s right. NEWSIES is inspired by the real life "Newsboy Strike of 1899," when newsboy Kid Blink led a band of real life orphan and runaway newsies on a two-week long action against Pulitzer, Hearst and other powerful newspaper publishers. The original Disney film has morphed into a cult phenomenon with a generation of avid fans discovering the movie on VHS and DVD. The stage version introduces several brand-new songs by the original team of Menken and Feldman while keeping many of the beloved songs from the film, including ‘Carrying the Banner, ‘Seize the Day,’ ‘King of New York’ and ‘Santa Fe.’
Troy, Michigan
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great music, terrific sets.”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were hoping for a family-friendly musical and chose Newsies. We got much more! The performances were wonderful, the music was beautiful, and the sets were so creative.

Woods Cross, Utah
“Wonderfully Entertaining!”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This show was so entertaining! The singing and dancing were excellent. Wonderful music. There was always something entertaining to watch. The newsies performers are excellent. There were some surprises for me since it is different than the movie, but I still loved it. Would definitely recommend this for kids and adults. My only regret is that I didn't have my kids with me. They would have LOVED it! I would definitely watch this one again!

Floral Park, New York
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Not what I was expecting”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

For a Disney-produced musical, this was lacking in flair. The musical numbers were decent, but really didn't wow me as much as I was hoping they would. As high-energy as the many dance numbers tried to be, they didn't deliver as "knock my socks off" entertainment.

1 Thank KDeegs423
Stoughton, Massachusetts, United States
“Better than I could have expected”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I never imagined myself going to Broadway and enjoying a musical. This show was extremely entertaining however. I was extremely happy with it and it has opened me up to wanted to see other shows. My wife and I (both 30) came to NYC for a kid free weekend and her having never been to NYC really wanted to see a show. She named a couple, Newsies, and based on other tripadvisor reports I decided to get tickets it. The show was almost 2.5 hours, but felt like 10 minutes. I have been telling everybody that if they go to NYC this is a must see!

Wilmington, Delaware
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Extremely Entertaining!”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Caught the Friday evening (2/14) show with my wife, and was thoroughly delighted. The stage, dancing, acting, singing, and musical score were all wonderful. I didn't realize the part of Jack Kelly (the lead 'Newsie') was played by a chorus member until after the show. Adam Kaplan's portrayal of Jack was spot on and there was a real chemistry between him and the leading lady.

Most of the professional critic reviews I read were OK, so i wasn't expecting to be wowed. I really don't know what show they were watching because all of the elements that make up good musical theater were there. The energy of the performers, quality of the score, the set, and the acting were all outstanding. Even the 'old' guys in the cast were outstanding!

This pretty much sums up the evening.....Sitting next to my wife and I were two CA girls in their mid 20's. I asked them how they ended up at Newsies on a Friday night in NYC? Their answer..."because Lion King was sold out". At intermission both the girls told us they were "so happy LK was sold out because Newsies was asweome!".

One hint though, do yourself a favor and buy the original cast recording so that you can become familiar with the musical numbers. I did, and it made it that much more enjoyable.