“Very Entertaining, OK Singing, Terrific Dancing”
Review of Newsies The Musical - CLOSED

Newsies The Musical
More attraction details
Owner description: Disney's NEWSIES, the breakout new American musical, is now on Broadway in New York City! The musical, based on the beloved 1992 Disney movie musical of the same name, features a score by eight-time Academy Award® winner Alan Menken (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Sister Act) and Jack Feldman and a book by four-time Tony® Award winner Harvey Fierstein (La Cage aux Folles, Torch Song Trilogy). NEWSIES is directed by Tony nominee Jeff Calhoun (Big River revival) and choreographed by Tony nominee Christopher Gattelli (South Pacific revival). Set in New York City at the turn of the century, NEWSIES is the rousing tale of Jack Kelly, a charismatic newsboy and leader of a ragged band of teen aged ‘newsies,’ who dreams only of a better life far from the hardship of the streets. But when publishing titans Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst raise distribution prices at the newsboys’ expense, Jack finds a cause to fight for and rallies newsies from across the city to strike for what’s right. NEWSIES is inspired by the real life "Newsboy Strike of 1899," when newsboy Kid Blink led a band of real life orphan and runaway newsies on a two-week long action against Pulitzer, Hearst and other powerful newspaper publishers. The original Disney film has morphed into a cult phenomenon with a generation of avid fans discovering the movie on VHS and DVD. The stage version introduces several brand-new songs by the original team of Menken and Feldman while keeping many of the beloved songs from the film, including ‘Carrying the Banner, ‘Seize the Day,’ ‘King of New York’ and ‘Santa Fe.’
Reviewed February 21, 2013

my 7yr old daughter and i watched newsies, the musical, during our mommy/daughter nyc trip. it was so very entertaining... did not disappoint even though we are huge newsies, the movie, fans.

the little changes in the story from the movie were done well. the song "santa fe" was a little overdone by the end of the show but did not take away from how entertaining it was. male lead was adorable but singing & dancing was just ok. female lead was beautiful but her voice left a lot to be desired. the chorus was EXCELLENT! dancing was terrific. tumbling was very entertaining. quite a few "sexual innuendos" but little ones would never catch any of them (at least my little one didn't catch any of them).

most of the cast come out to the front of the theater after the show for autographs and pictures. so very gracious, courteous and friendly. it was an absolute treat.

nederlander is a GREAT theater with major pros and cons. small theater, steep rows so NO BAD VIEW. however, even as a petite woman, the seat was TOO TOO snug. an older man in our row who had knee problems could not sit in his seat so my daughter gave up her aisle seat so that he could stretch his legs out BUT as a result, my daughter had to squat in her seat.

even with the little hiccups, it was a WONDERFUL experience. i will be back with my older daughter and husband to catch the show again when it isn't so cold in nyc.

There are newer reviews for Newsies The Musical

Reviewed February 21, 2013

When I heard the Newsies were coming to Broadway (after seeing the movie) I knew I had to check it out. The music was excellent, as was the dancing. Audience reaction was extremely enthused. Glad I went!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Cast was fantastic, the dancing incredible, and most of all the cast enjoyed coming out after the performance to sign and take photos.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Very uplifting, wonderful musical. Understand why they have won so many awards. Great, young talent.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I did not have any real interest in seeing this show, however, my 15 year old daughter has been begging me to take her. Well, I'm glad that I finally did. We had a wonderful time. I agree that it started a little flat, but then I really enjoyed it. Lots of teen girls in the audience due to an overwhelming male cast...Was it the best show on Broadway - no - but definitely worth seeing..Oh, and if you get outside fairly quickly after the show, the cast comes out and signs autographs and takes pics with you - which, of course, my daughter had to do in the freezing cold. They were very gracious and seemed to appreciate the accolades they received.