“Not worth the money, but unique experience to see once”
Review of Sleep No More

Sleep No More
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I went to Sleep No More with my friend who heard about its fabulous reviews. After reading a few reviews myself, I was intrigued and felt like I just had to see what it's all about. Now I understand what the previous reviewers are saying- it really is difficult to describe without actually seeing it for yourself.

Be prepared- you will be standing, walking, and occasionally running for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. You will be split up from the people you're with, unless you intentionally stay together, which you shouldn't, as that hinders the experience.

It's set a a historic, dark, (haunted?) hotel and you follow characters around the hotel trying to tell parts of the story of Macbeth in various rooms- a living room, graveyard, bedroom, hotel front desk, a kitchen, and other very random scenes. It's a lot of observation and it's up to you to make the most of it and see things from your own perspective. Even if you have to take a break from following one particular character (you should switch it up every so often anyway) be sure to make it to all the floors- there are sure to be scenes happening on all floors.

For me, just looking to see a unique show, once is enough, but it may be worth seeing if you're looking for a unique off-Broadway production. I thought it was too long and a lot of times there wasn't a whole lot of movement and overall the show is extremely confusing- although I guess that's part of the fun.

So overall, unless you're really into seeing all types of theater experiences, I wouldn't recommend seeing Sleep No More. Regardless, come prepared with an open mind and be prepared to feel like you're in a different zone for a few hours.

2  Thank Katherine817
Write a ReviewReviews (1,381)
All reviews
in 11 reviews
"broadway show"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I made our first NYC trip this past December. We saw 3 shows in 5 days, this being one of them. This was hands down the favorite. Yes, it's different than a "traditional" show, but that's the point - it's SUPPOSED to be unlike anything else :) My advice is the same that others have offered - go in with an open mind, be sure go off by yourself (seriously - don't hangout with the people you came with). Explore everything and every room you can. Pick a character to follow; stick around long enough to see the show "loop" around, and then follow a different character for awhile. So worth it; we absolutely loved it (and for the record, my husband isn't generally into over "artsy" or "different" things :). We'll hands down go back on the next trip, supposing it's still going on.

Oh, and you might read the Cliffnotes or Wiki summary on Macbeth before you go (though it's only based loosely on this, it's still helpful). Otherwise, don't research the show too much - you'll ruin the surprises ;)

1  Thank Kariessa
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I went to the show without knowing at all what to expect. At first it looked like I was in a horror movie and it was kind of overwhelming. After a little bit I understood what I was supposed to do that was following the actors. When the show ended I can tell you that I was even more confused and I kind of still am. I still do not know if I was supposed to follow just one actor or more than one. I personally followed whoever was running in front of me and at the end though I did not understand much.
I know that a lot of people go more than once to better get it. I personally would not go again, but I am glad I went once because is for sure an unordinary show. Expect to run a lot and do a lot of steps!

1  Thank LuluCentro
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I loved it. I don't like Broadway shows, neither theater where everything is expected or too fluffy.
This was totally unexpected, smart, emotional, cool, sexual, strong and interesting at all times.
I liked it so much that I went twice and keep recommending it.
Everyone I recommended the show simply loved it.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: It is not for everyone. If you don't want to walk arround, don't like alternative theater, don't like sexual interpretations or see naked people, dark spaces or even be by yourself all the time with no partner or friends, then it is not for you. For example, I wouldn't take my parents, they probably won't like it...

1  Thank caronaf1
See more reviews
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I don't understand all the positive reviews for this "show." I was unable to detect anything resembling a story. Yes, I know it's somehow derived from Macbeth, and there was, indeed, an "Out, out, damn spot" dance. I got that. But what was all the other stuff about?
There's nearly no speaking, and the dances are most of the content. The dances are, I'm sure, quite difficult to perform, with all that jumping around, banging against walls and beds and doors. But -- to tell you the truth -- once you seen seventeen "dances of violent passion," you don't need one more.
At first, I though I was just dense, not being able to understand what was happening. Then I decided there wasn't anything coherent going on here -- just a pretentious mess.

7  Thank WoodyInMass