“Very nice bakery and restaurant! Dominique was very nice in person!”

Dominique Ansel Bakery
Ranked #18 of 388 Bakeries in New York City
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: SoHo
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Very nice bakery and restaurant! Dominique was very nice in person!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I really, really believe you should visit to get your cronut and many other excellent pastries. We did the obligatory 3 1/2 hour wait in line to get inside the bakery to get a cronut! Terrible waiting time, excellent product to get though. I really liked the cronuts and believe they are winners! We arrived at 6:30am and it was close to 10am before we made it inside the bakery/restaurant to get a cronut! I don't normally wait in line that long, nice to do it once for a trendy treat! I think they have a very good assortment of pastries and not just cronuts. I actually had Dominique come out to the floor in the bakery and her was very personnable and not only spoke with me, also took a photo. He did this with other people as well. I thought this was very nice of him, considering he was very busy managing the people working there and doing work himself. The store opens at 8am and if you want a cronut, should be waiting in line from about 5:45am to 6am and then your wait will be closer to 2 hours or a little more.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
“Only the cronut is good, other products are just okay”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Came here with my friends at 10am and only had to wait for about 2 hrs to get some cronuts. It's not bad. As my friend pointed out, it's like an upscale churro. You can definitely taste each individual part and less so the grapeseed oil that it's fried in but it is oily. However, it really deserves 3.5 stars for the non consistency in the other products. Was able to try the DKA and another pastry (forgot the name) and those were not as good as the cronut. The staff is friendly but they are extremely busy. One important thing is that the staff that we did encounter, they all knew their products and the details of them. I thought that was very important. I think it's worth trying it once and would get it again once the line shortens.

New York City, New York
“Ansel is not only the "Cronuts" inventor...”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

It started like a fairytale: a little bakery in NY Soho. ONce upton a time there was a pastry chef who created a novelty. A combination of croissant (French people swear they invented it, in fact it came from ... Budapest) and donuts. The legend has it that you deep fry (yes, oil...) a puff pastry (yes, half butter, half flour - one should read "The wheat belly", then cored with icing (yes, a mix of sugar and corn starch) and you get something very similar to the cronuts. New York being New York, some people are queing from 6am in front of Dominique Ansel's bakery to get this powerful calories bomb. There is a queue to get them, two per person, I have heard, giving this little place a far similitude with the GUM (Moscow's State Department Store). The analogy went a little deeper when we were told that some clients resell those cronuts for more than 20 dollars a piece.

We get up late and leave the crowd queing for cronuts. They are probably sinfuly delicious but we are not trading our money against fat and sugar. I confess we once in a while get in and buy Eclair au Sel et au Caramel. They are delicious.

But recently, we discovered that Dominique is not only the inventor of the CRonuts (Trademark. A postcard for late risers like us is for sale - 50 cents a piece - there is not such thing as little profit), but he is on his way to the new new thing: the Eclair au Café .... without filling. Yes, an empty eclair, thin like a finger.(that is,what we got this morning, 23rd of august). So, hurry up, go there before the icing disappear.

Getting slim as Dominique's revisited version of the Eclair, I will get up earlier. I swear. Will I queue for a "richissime" Cronuts? I doubt....

Still, I am convinced Dominique is a great pastry chef, I just hope he won't become an even better manager.

“Alright..”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I work right down the block from this bakery and have purchased some of the smaller pastries / tarts for the office. The pastries are ok (same as Dean & Deluca). This is not a place I would go to for breakfast considering I don't do sugar first thing in the morning. I have no idea what all the rave is about. I see the lines down the block and I often wonder why folks would wait so long for a super overload of calories. I guess they are doing something right though..

• Visited June 2013
“True to my expectations!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had been wating for the opportunity to go NY to try Dominique Ansel Bakery's goods even before the cronut craze.
We went there last Sunday to pick up our pre ordered cronuts, Wow! the line for the cronuts was really long...(for walk in customers). After getting the cronuts, we went to sit in the open garden and tried it. They were fantastic, not too sweet, not oily and full of flavors.We went back after 2 days to try other pastries, Raspberry Religieuse,Mini-Me Cake, chocolate pecan and chocolate chunk cookies , macarons....they were all great! The best part of the visit was meeting Chef Dominique!