“large rooms - swimming pool - affordable”

Millennium Hilton New York Downtown
Ranked #219 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I reserved the Hilton Millenium directly through the Hilton website, but found a better rate on the French ebookers website. "Terian Dillard" from Hilton's "Our Best Rates Guaranteed" replied that they would not honor my complaint even if I took screenshots.

The Hilton Millenium is situated right at Ground Zero which may be frightening for some souls, but we found it very nice and interesting. We received a room at the upper level of the hotel and what I have been told is that nearly all rooms overlook Ground Zero.

There was work going on all day, all night and during the whole weekend. Nevertheless we did not hear anything of the noise.

The rooms are very big and bright for New York. The week end rate included free breakfast (this breakfast buffet is nice and big - we were told to choose one entrée from the Menu)

There is a pool at the hotel which we enjoyed as well. The only thing I did not like is that it really is a business hotel. The area was dead during the week end and they even closed the subway station right at the hotel during the week end. There is no nightlife around the hotel.

+ great week end rate including breakfast, large and bright rooms overlooking Ground Zero, Swimming Pool
- "Our Best Rate Guaranteed" not honored, business district location which means that there is no nightlife around the hotel and during the week end

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2Euro-Travellers
MilleniumHilton, Manager at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share both your feedback and photographs from your recent stay. The shot of the World Trade Center is amazing.. Our heated pool is very inviting, happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of it. Once again, thank you for sharing your comments, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you will make the Millenium Hilton your hotel of choice on your next visit to New York City. Thank you..

Reviewed February 21, 2011

Stayed one night in a standard room on 22nd floor. Check in was easy. The staff was as attentive and ready to help as I would expect from a Hilton. The room was of adequate size for Manhattan and very clean. It did overlook Ground Zero, therefore I do imagine that construction noise would wake one up on a weekday morning. On a Sunday morning though, I slept in with no trouble at all. The location otherwise is great and street parking was easy to find.
ONE NEGATIVE: business office services aren't free; spent too much time trying to print and was unsuccessful.
ONE POSITIVE: at night, the security courteously checks and only lets people with room keys go to the elevators. OVERALL, I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank medvedmartin
MilleniumHilton, Manager at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2011

On behalf of the Millenium Hilton, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. Very happy to hear that you were not disturbed by the contruction at the WTC site. Thank you for mentioning our Security Staff, they do a great job at keeping us all secure. We hope to see you again on your next visit to New York City. Once again, thank you for sharing your comments.

Reviewed February 21, 2011

We are getting married in NY in April and we will be staying at this hotel, along with many of our guests. We wanted an advance stay to make sure we were happy with the hotel, with a view to ironing out any issues prior to our April stay. We let them know this at check-in and were immediately upgraded to a Junior Suite on the 50th floor. The room was excellent - very spacious with outstanding views uptown and across the Hudson. The bed was very large and extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows and wonderfully fresh smelling linens.
There was only a murmur of construction noise and definitely no need for earplugs! I am unable to comment if this was due to our room height. The maid service was prompt and thorough.
The only negative, along with the majority of reviews, is the lack of wifi. As iPhone users this was a little annoying - although there is a Starbucks beneath the hotel that has a free hotspot so it wasn't too hard to go down to check emails etc.
We were overall very happy with our 3 night stay and are very much looking forward to returning in April.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tantastic_7
MilleniumHilton, Manager at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2011

On behalf of the Millenium Hilton, we would like to first tell you how pleased we are that we will be your home away from home for your upcoming wedding... So happy to hear that the trial run went well. The hotel is currently working on a wifi solution and hope to have it running in the near future. Once again, thank you for your kind comments and congratulations on your upcoming Wedding... We look forward to seeing you and your family in April..

Reviewed February 15, 2011

I may have been unlucky but the maitre d at breakfast was surly and rude, the room still had not been serviced by 5pm (along with all the other rooms on the floor by the fact that they all had room service platters outside their doors). And the quality of the room was only so/so (no wi fi) etc. There are better hotels for this price point in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed: February 2011

On behalf of the Millenium Hilton, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay.. We would welcome the opportunity to speak to you further about these issues so that can better address the issues. At your convenience, please contact our Executive Office and they will be happy to assist. Once again, we are sorry that we failed to me your needs during your stay and we look forward to discussing this with you further.

Reviewed February 14, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the hotel for two days and I must say the view was great, we stayed at the 52 floor, the personel is nice and the room was great, but I really didn't like and to be honest never thougth I would have to pay for internet and no less than u$s 14 the day, everything else was ok.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay.. Happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the view, I agree, it is quite amazing. Please be assured that I will share your comments regarding the internet charges. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to NYC.

Reviewed February 12, 2011

My family and I booked a room here at the last minute (at New Year's) and managed to get a great deal! The rooms are a bit small and the "double" beds are more like extended twins - not much room. I was impressed with the location and was delighted that our room overlooked the new "Freedom Tower" construction. Many reviews here have mentioned the noise associated with the construction but I did not notice it - no need to use the free ear plugs provided! The hotel is centrally located near several subway stops making for easy travel. Broadway is close by and the piers are just a few walking blocks away. There is a restaurant in the hotel but I did not use it. I did visit the lobby bar. The prices are high (as would be expected) and I found the bar a little to close to the lobby traffic - there is little to differentiate between lobby and bar. The service desk was "typical" New York City hospitality (quick and impersonal). I enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to people on business or traveling solo. Overall a pleasant visit and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

On behalf of the Millenium Hilton, we would like to thank you for making us your hotel of choice to ring in the New Year. Happy to hear that you enjoyed the view of the World Trade Center site. Watching the progress is quite inspiring. It seems that you were able to master our Subway system, you are correct we are centrally located near several stations. We look forward to seeing you and your family on your next visit to New York City and thank you again for sharing your comments.

Reviewed February 7, 2011

- near ground zero
- sometimes too near !
- rooms facing ground zero suffer from building noise
(hotel offers free earplugs)
- breakfast buffet: small but fresh food
- friendly staff
- different underground / subway stations nearby
- near huge shopping center (Century21)

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business

On behalf of the Millenium Hilton, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. We apologize if you were disturbed by the construction at the World Trade Center site, we share our concerns with the Port Authority on a regular basis . I see that you mentioned Century 21 Department Store, that is very popular with our guests and team members alike. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to being your hotel of choice on your next visit to New York City.