“Xmas Treat”

Ranked #222 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 23, 2004

Hi all

Just returned from the Millenium from Sunday 19th - Wednesday 22nd December. Stayed in room 4206 overlooking ground zero.

The hotel was amazing and the room was first class we paid extra for the city view and it was well worth it.

The bed was so comfortable, the plasma tv was great, the bathroom was spotless. There was a hairdryer in the bathroom. With Sham

We never ate at the hotel, but shopped at Century 21 right next door!

Bought a Metro Subway card which we used all the time, it was nice to come back to the hotel at night away from all the hussle of the city.

We asked the conceige about a transfer back to JFK we said it would cost $72 one way! so we used the underground from fulton street to howard beach and then got the air train, $5 each for the air train, so if we want to save some $$$ use the underground back to JFK.

We ate at Buba Gump (from the film Forest Gump), Hard Rock Cafe & Planet Hollywood.

We also seen the Knicks at Madisson Square Garden you can book online from ticketmaster.

We loved our time in New York, it also snowed on Sunday night which made our trip even more special.

Thank you Hilton for making our visit so special. We will return.

10  Thank SandalsPrincess

Reviewed December 19, 2004

We were a little dissappointed to say the least. The Hotel itself overlooks 'Ground Zero'. Transport links are superb with the subway on 1 x minutes walk from the hotel. If your booking independently CHECK what your getting for your money. Ask about the special deals or rates which are available. 'Bounceback Rate' was $219+tax per night for 2x adults and 1 x child and included a self-sevice buffet breakfast. If you like your 'breckie' hot I would avoid the buffet. Kids are charged for breakfast depending on who your Waiter is! Hotels is immaculate and has leisure facilities inc. a small pool & sauna.
We were lucky and recieved a FREE upgrade on our late arrival to a 'Junior Suite' a saving of $100 for 4 x nights( $400 in total)! Biggest Bed I've ever seen & 42 inch plasma screen TV, seperate living area with fold out double bed with TV mini bar and all the usual you would expect from the Hilton Group. Bathroom was immaculate.
Athough I could find nothing to complain about the place felt cold! Staff were curteous but were unable to interact with Guests - I had visions of the 'Stepford Wives???' - Having stayed in other Hotels in the Hilton Group I can say that this Hotel was good - but it should have been GREAT! Can't fault anything but the 'coldness' of the Staff!

1  Thank Owen999
Reviewed December 14, 2004

Stayed here between 21st and 29th November and find it difficult to be critical. We were checked in immediately as there were no queues (although that may have been because it was a Sunday) and within a few minutes were headed towards our 54th floor room in the fastest lifts I've ever been in.

It wasn't the largest hotel room I've ever been in, but it was more than adequate. It's been said in previous reviews, but the bed was very, very comfortable and the views from the floor to ceiling windows (especially at night) across the Hudson river to New Jersey were spectacular. The room itself was very clean with Nuetrogena toiletries being replenished every day, nice fluffy white towels and a fairly decent bath/shower. My only gripe about the room would be the TV. I'm not clear on the logic of having a 42" plasma screen with only an analogue input?!? A fair few of the available channels showed poor reception but, really, who comes to New York to sit in the hotel room and watch TV? The only other thing of note was that the internet access via the TV and wireless keyboard, although a bit of a novelty and not too expensive, wasn't the most complete internet browsing experience. It's based on a bespoke web browser at a very low resolution so not too many websites I visited actually displayed properly (like my web based email!!!)

Having read previous reviews I knew to avoid the hotel's restaurant on reasons of cost and try the many local deli's, so I can't comment on the quality of the food. There really are LOADS of places within a couple of blocks radius to pick up food and drink so no need to break the bank in the inhouse restaurant if you don't want to.

It's true, the New York subway may not be as intuitive as, say, London's underground but we bought a week long pass (available from the machines in the subway) and used it every day to get from practically outside the hotel door to midtown. If you've never been before, perhaps best to download a subway map before you go and spend 10 minutes or so working out how it all works. We were jumping on and off trains like locals by the time we left!

In terms of shopping and attractions in the local vicinity, you're right across the street from Century 21 which, although not really to my taste, certainly has bargains (the missus was able to pick up a Samsonite suitcase cheaper there than it was available in a so called Samsonite discount outlet store). If you're willing to rake through stuff, you'll probably unearth something. About a 5-10 minute walk South and you'll be in Battery Park where you get on the ferry over to the Statue of Liberty (try dodging the vendors offering 'real' rolex watches and 'genuine' LV handbags if you can). J&R is a pretty large computer/gadget shop a couple of blocks North East of the hotel and had some pretty reasonably priced kit. About 7 or 8 blocks West of the hotel at South Street Seaport is what appears to be NYC's only Abercrombie and Fitch store, and very swanky it is too (I spent far too much money in here), with Guess is just over the road and the downtown TCKTS shop just around the corner (speaking of which, try getting there an hour before it opens to be at the head of the queue and best choice of theatre tickets). It's a bit of a trek, but SOHO and NOHO (just head north on Broadway) has some pretty decent shopping too (well, better than the tourist-trap midtown, I reckon).

Finally, on checking out (no queues again) there weren't any nasty surprises on the bill, just what I expected (although, again, after reading previous reviews I knew not to fiddle with the contents of the in-room minibar). The concierge, thankfully, was more than happy to look after our luggage for the day while we were out spending our last few hours and last few dollars. A godsend when you have an evening flight home but checkout is at midday.

I have absolutely no reservation in recommending this hotel, it's certainly where I'll be staying next time I'm in NYC.

PS. Not that it has any relation to the Millenium Hilton, but I'd pre-booked a Super Shuttle van to and from the hotel/airport. The driver taking us to the hotel couldn't have been much more rude, and the driver taking us back to the airport turned up nearly an hour late, literally a few minutes before I was going to abandon hope and just get a taxi rather than risk missing the flight. If my experience is typical, you'll want to avoid this particular outfit.

21  Thank gjscott75
Reviewed December 10, 2004

Stayed in this hotel for our first visit to New York from 26th November until 1st December after having read the reviews posted on this site.
We had a room on the 24th Floor overlooking Ground Zero, check-in was hassel free and we were in the room before 3pm, the bed was indeed very comfortable and the plasma screen tv "big", my only complaints with the room are that you could hear toilets and showers being used in the other rooms, and the chairs were not very comfortable.
We had breakfast the first morning in the hotel restaurant and I would not advise anyone to do this as there are many cheaper places around the hotel ($46 for two buffet-breakfasts), such as Andrews coffee shop on pearl and john street.
The staff were very helpful with the exception of the concierge who on a number of occasions got into the lift before us whilst we were waiting and did not ask which floor we would like.
Whilst I agree with other reviewers that this is an excellent hotel I wouldn't reccomend it, as it really is out of the way and whilst there is a subway station opposite, the system is not very "outsider" friendly, such as knowing the direction of the train or the next stop indeed if the train even makes a stop at your required station as the notices advising of the stops are small if non existent.
Nonetheless anyone spending a few days in New York would not be dissappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2004
6  Thank danielvicki
Reviewed December 1, 2004

My husband and I just got back from our first trip to NYC. We stayed at the Millenuim and could not have been happier. We loved being in lower Manhattan and away from all the crowds. There is a subway stop right outside the door of the hotel, so getting to all the shopping and sights is a breeze. The hotel was clean, quiet, and extremely comfortable. The bed was so comfortable I had trouble pulling myself away from it (and the plasma T.V.). The only thing that was lacking was an in-room coffee maker...but with a Starbucks 100 feet from the hotel, I can't really complain! Will definitely stay there again!!!

4  Thank wllopez
Reviewed November 29, 2004

Second visit to NYC this year, second time I have selected a hotel on the basis of the recommendations on this site (Sofitel Hotel being my earlier visit) and the second time I have been very pleased - read the reports, they say it all! The only point of caution is price, I booked through the Hilton website two months ago for $199.00/night for a four night stay, although I noted in some places it was quoted as high as $384.00/night (Plaza prices)!

I would also like to offer my praise for this site. Having been introduced to this service twelve months ago I have made several bookings in both US and the UK and the general overview from the reports listed have proven to be pretty accurate and now form the basis of all my hotel selections.

• Stayed: November 2004
1  Thank BSW1958
A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2004

I took my girlfriend to NYC to propose and so a NICE hotel was in order. We're used to backpackping and staying in hostels or budget hotels but THIS weekend was special. So after reading the stellar reviews here I booked it and crossed my fingers. AND...it was perfect. The room was great. It is just like the pictures they provide. The bed WAS very comfy and the HUGE TV was a big plus. A nice room is #1 on the list for me, then service, location and of course price. This hotel was great in all these areas so I DO recomend it. The view was dominated by ground zero which may be a consideration for some.
Kyle Dunlevy