“Overall - a Decent Value for Manhattan, Room for improvement? Most Definitely”

Millennium Hilton New York Downtown
Ranked #215 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The rooms are not the quietest. I could clearly hear the conversations in the neighboring rooms. I was lucky that their evening trysts were short ;) !
My King Room was dominated by the bed. A small sitting area (chair & end table) occupied the balance of the room.
In room INTERNET was an extra cost.... almost unheard of in this day & age.
My traveling companion paid the same daily rate AND he got a FREE BREAKFAST BUFFET included everyday of his stay. With a glass of OJ, by eggs & sausage costs me $30+ each morning!
I was supposed to have a "City View" room, but at the 35th floor all I saw was the side of the surrounding buildings. Not quite what I expected from the description of the room on their website.

Room Tip: AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE - further from street level noise and it improves the view!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank TiredWorldTraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (4,745)

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Stayed here with my girlfriend for 8 days over Christmas and New Year's Eve.

We arrived at the hotel with the subway from JFK, which was an easy trip. From outside Church Street station, we could already see the hotel. Nearly everything in NY could be reached by this subway line, though we walked almost everything, we walked to Times Square in around an hour.

Checkin was smooth and friendly. There was a large container in the lobby, where you could get hot chocolate or hot cider, which was a nice touch. We were given a room on the 52nd floor, with great views of One WTC, Ground Zero and the Hudson. If you pressed your head against the glass, you could even see the Empire State.

The room was perfect. It was large enough, well-maintained and very clean. The bed was perfect, with crisp linens that were regularly cleaned. The bathroom was spotlessly clean as well, with nice bathroom amenities that were replenished daily. There was a coffee maker in the room with pretty good Coffee Bean coffee (some Hilton 'Morning blend' if I recall correctly, it was very good to wake up with). Wifi was very expensive, but there was free wifi in the lobby if you needed internet.

We used the gym one day, which was excellent and had enough equipment for a basic workout. The pool wasn't very remarkable, more functional than luxury.

Overall, we had a great stay, and would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: High floors have great views!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 83Bart
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This hotel would work well for business travelers, but while most of the hotel staff was lovely with our autistic daughter, the pool attendant was not as kind. If you have a family or are traveling with a person with a difference, this might not be the best match. I will add, though, that the cleaning staff and front desk staff were angelic! Views from our suite were incredible, but furnishings seemed a bit worn, and it was difficult to keep the room warm.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
MilleniumHiltonHotel, General Manager at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Rhonda,

First and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies for your discontent with a member of our staff's demeanor during your stay with us - However, I am happy you found the service from the majority of our staff to be exceptional. I can assure you that we are looking into this matter as it is a serious concern that we would not want repeated in the future. Once again, please accept our apologies and I hope that the next time you are in the area, you will give the Millenium Hilton another chance to provide you with the type of service so closely associated with our Hilton name.

Best Regards,
Jimmy

Jimmy Sarfraz
Millenium Hilton
55 Church Street
New York, NY 10007
Email: jimmy.sarfraz@hilton.com

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We asked for 2 rooms but they weren't 2 available (2 couples and 2 children) but we were told that they would show us the room. unbelievable all 6 of us stayed in the room as it had a pull out sofa it was only for 2 nights so it was perfect. Close to all transport links which was fab. views are amazing and staff were very attentive.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This is were I stay in new york. The prices are the most resonable in New York . It is located near Wall street and accross the street from Century 31. The site is across from the World trade center and the view is breath taking. New York can get very pricey. Thats why I stay here and if the price goes up I will bid for this hotel on Priceline. It has a gym and a pool and the resteraunt in awesome . they have the best breakfasts.

Room Tip: They dont have a spa
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank sincity567
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed for only one night just before Christmas. Our room was high up (1412) and was terrific - absolutely huge with two double beds, a massive flat screen television, big bathroom with bath and shower, a large armchair and footstool, desk and swivel chair, a telephone right next to the loo (?), two more telephones (which it turned out didn't seem to be connected!), a coffee machine, glasses on a tray with an ice bucket, a drawer stocked with "snacky stuff", a well stocked fridge and two large windows - one overlooking Ground Zero Memorial and the other overlooking a splendid church. One point about the fridge and "snacky stuff" drawer - they are linked to a computer so that if you remove anything, the cost of the item is charged to your account. I discovered this when an interim bill came in for $11.95 and I realised that the miniature bottle of Tequila I had removed to make room for my small orange carton so it could cool down a bit had triggered the computer - they do in fact apparently have ice machines on each floor but I couldn't locate ours - and even though I returned the bottle after I had taken the orange carton out, this apparently doesn't register on the computer!! So glad I wasn't nosey and remove all the bottles just to have a look!! Oh yes, there is also an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe.

There is a restaurant in the hotel which we didn't in fact use and a bar/cafe area in the lobby. All the staff were very friendly - especially the porters who were on hand to order taxis and take care of the luggage. We were very impressed with everything and would certainly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
MilleniumHiltonHotel, Front Office Manager at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Thank you for choosing the Millenium Hilton hotel during you recent visit to NYC for the Holidays. We are so happy that you had a memorable stay with us and really appreciated the helpful service from our staff as well as the spacious guest room accommodations and all of its features & amenities. We apologize for any initial confusion you may have had about our mini bar, but I am happy to hear it was quickly resolved upon checkout. Thank you for sharing your review and recommending our hotel to the TripAdvisor community. We hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Matt

Matthew Lane
Director of Front Office Operations
Millenium Hilton
55 Church Street
New York, NY 10007
Email: Matthew.lane@hilton.com

Reviewed January 28, 2014

The room is not a dollhouse, its a room. The views are pretty amazing. The location is significant with the World Financial Center right across the street. The transport is easy access with many of the subway lines being right there as well as the Battery Tunnel and Westside Highway. The staff is spot on.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business