“One of my fave NYC hotels”

Millennium Hilton New York Downtown
Ranked #216 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I almost hate to write this, because I'd rather keep this hotel a well-kept secret. But this Financial District/lower Manhattan hotel has great views, a good location (if you want to spend your time below 14th St - in Village, Soho, Nolita, Little Italy, Lower East Side, etc.), friendly staff and almost always reasonable prices.

The rooms are quite spacious by NY standards and modern, clean with flat screen TV's and desks. My last stay I was upgraded (for $25 per night) to a Junior Suite which had a nice LR area with pull out bed, TV, etc. and a good sized King BR with a wall mostly separately the two rooms - with bath in between. Very nice set up. And it was a corner room on a high floor, so my views were spectacular - but views have always been good at this hotel, each time I have stayed there.

The hotel is literally right next door to the World Trade Center site - so over the past several years I've been staying there on biz and pleasure trips to NYC - getitng a higher floor rooms to check out the construction progress. This past trip was spectacular with a lot of the construction really coming together (see photo of WTC spire, from my 44th floor room.) The hotel is also close to Wall St., Statue of Liberty and Ferries. Also convenient to 2 subway lines that can take you uptown, while not too far for walking to Tribeca, Soho if you're up for a 10-15 block walk.

I used to live in Manhattan, and rarely went down to the Financial District when I did - but I find myself returning to this hidden gem due to proximity to Soho, Village and Nolita when prices in hotels in that area are running high.

Room Tip: The high floor corner room views - on the WTC side of the hotel - will take your breath away. WTC a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
MilleniumHiltonHotel, Manager at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review with the TripAdvisor community. We are so happy to hear that you have had nothing but wonderful experiences staying with us at the Millenium Hilton and find it to be one of your favorite hotels in NYC. I am glad you enjoy the views of the WTC progress from your room each time you stay with us and that you appreciate the friendly service and convenient location of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town!

There are newer reviews for Millennium Hilton New York Downtown

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed at the Millenium Hilton three times (13 nights) over a period of one month. The reason I had chosen the hotel was because I had a wonderful experience at the Hilton Chennai, India. I assumed that the luxury which i experienced in Chennai was the standard.

I had booked my entire stay in advance. Hilton has the optional offer which they call "upgrade". I had signed up for an early check in for $25. But that was subject to availability.

I arrived at the hotel with high expectations which came crashing as I came across the gentleman behind the reception desk. No smile. No warmth. No, they don't greet you as a Hilton Honors member either, which is a norm at other Hilton Hotels. I was told in quite a brusque manner that my room wasn't ready. I had walked in at 10.30 am after a 14 hour flight from India with my wife and our toddler. I was ok with the fact that the room wasn't ready yet. My disappointment was with this gentleman who could then trace no record of the special upgrade offer i had applied for. I had to show him the confirmation mail on my ipad which he took away for a while, i guess, to consult the duty manager and came back with no regrets for having no information on the same. Hotels should make the guest feel welcome. But this check-in experience wasn't even close to that. I actually thought I had made a wrong decision by opting for Millenium Hilton.

Though the room lacks character, it’s clean and has a great view. 49th floor. Junior Suite City View with Ground Zero visible from the bedroom and the Brooklyn Bridge partly visible from the living room. Size of the room is good with a separate living area. The housekeeping needs to do something about the curtains. Usually, a good hotel has curtains which when pulled can plunge the room into darkness. An ideal setting to sleep whenever you wish to. But the curtains here let in so much of daylight. It’s because of their size and the area that they cover. Hotel management hasn’t given it any thought it seems. I complained and soon a housekeeping personnel came in. He agreed with the problem but said he was helpless. Can’t blame him. There couldn’t have been a temporary solution to the issue. They need curtains which are longer and cover all the nooks and corners.

The bathroom is basic but spacious with great water pressure and brightly lit. The flush makes no noise which is great when someone is sleeping in the adjoining room.

The ironing board provided in the room definitely needs replacement.

I have an issue with the hotel’s mini bar which works on sensors. With an inquisitive kid it’s a big risk. And therefore I got the minibar emptied. Used it for stocking baby food.

People have complained of noise from the ongoing construction at WTC site and the traffic. But on 49th floor it didn’t bother me much. The bed is great. AC system is something they really need to change. Its noisy.

The hotel has a gym not worth mentioning. Managed by Precor (i think), the machines are not in the best of shape. Even the weight section is very-very limited.

When I booked, the hotel website room amenties page claimed to have self-laundry. But when I enquired at the reception, they said they don’t have it. When I showed them the web page they were surprised why its mentioned there. Concierge guided me to Alba drycleaner (at Nassau Street) nearby which does wash & fold. $1.5 for a pound of wash load. Great, friendly service.
Another great thing about the hotel is its location. Century 21 is right next door. So is Starbucks. Wholefoods. Aroma. Pret a manger. All within 5-10 mins, great places for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Wall street, trinity church, ferry to the statue of liberty are all within 15-25 mins of walking distance. So are SOHO & Chinatown, Brooklyn Bridge. J&R, a huge store for electronics is right behind the hotel.

The hotel is surrounded by various subway stations which makes the whole of New York very accessible. Taxi’s are easily available during day time. Late evenings is a bit of a struggle. But beware when you take a yellow cab to the airport. My cab driver charged me $72 by giving me the wrong calculation of the fare+toll. I guess that was $12-14 more than the usual. This cab was hired for us by the bell-hop and therefore I am quite surprised.

Housekeeping staff works very quietly. You don’t even notice them. But they do a great job. And I can vouch for their honesty. One day I was out the whole day not realizing that I had left the locker open which contained currency notes (USD) and other valuables. Nothing went missing despite housekeeping having cleaned the room. My only request to them would be to check and discard some old sheets which are still sparkling white, but worn out with holes in them.

The Bell-desk is wonderful. With a bunch of friendly, smiling and not so smiling guys.

The staff at the restaurant is a blend of people who care about you and who don’t care about you at all.

Reception too has a mix of friendly and not so friendly staff. But my advise to them will be - smile a little more. Make the guest feel they are welcome. That they matter.

Overall, I would say that I had a good time staying here, primarily because of the location but a leaves a lot to be desired. Don’t go with lot of expectations and you will be o.k.

Room Tip: Junior Suite City View are all on the higher floors with great views and room size. Even King Deluxe...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank IBTEDA
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is my first review ever but i felted compelled warn others since i was so disappointed in my stay due to the horrible service. Checked in as a hilton honors diamond member. Property was able to "upgrade" me to a double room as requested. I requested early check in and was told I would be called when my room was ready. I followed up twice. I never received a phone call but my room was ready at the check in time of 3 pm. No mention of any diamond benefits on arrival. Check in forgot to give me breakfast vouchers and when I asked about them, staff seemed put-off. No complimentary water in my room, bathroom smelled like vomit, no turn down service except 1 of 5 nights there. Waiter staff were rude when asked about a drink. They seemed bothered as they were too busy chatting away in front of us. Other days service at breakfast was good.

Not the professional service you would expect considering the hotel gets many business travelers.
My sister also stayed in another room and had similar experience as a diamond. Front desk staff would not give her roommate breakfast vouchers.

The hotel was apparently fully booked during our time there but there is no excuse for poor service in the service industry.

Went to Waldorf Astoria for a spa treatment and received phenomenal service. That is the Hilton property we will be staying at for our next nyc trip.

The only thing the hotel had going for it was location. subway stops right in front of hotel. Pool was small. No jacuzzi. Gym was adequate but equipment was dated.

Room Tip: Double rooms much more spacious than king room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
MilleniumHiltonHotel, Manager at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

We are so sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience during your recent stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and your feedback will help us to better deliver this brand promise moving forward. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again so we may better demonstrate our commitment to quality hospitality.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights only because it was near Brooklyn cruise terminal. The hotel is in an area where there are few restaurants but it does have the advantage of a metro station nearby to travel downtown costs $2.50 each way. The hotel is not 4 star category more of a 3 star. The rooms are drab and need refurbishing, not the normal standard I would expect from a Hilton hotel so this was very disappointing. The food is not cheap but was of a reasonable standard nothing too special. The view from the room was spectacular of ground zero but sadly not tempting enough for a return visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I arrived at the Hilton only to realize I had someone's luggage. Their staff was great at making the calls and getting my luggage. I never had to look for someone to answer questions...staff was knowledgeable and polite. Lobby was a comfortable meeting place with severla seating areas. Rooms were comfortbale

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Booking this hotel was a big mistake...very very touristic, slow parking, expensive parking, slow reception, slow elevators, old rooms. Do your self a favor and stay away from this unfriendly and over-ratted hotel.

Room Tip: There is no, construction all around you...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ibbm
MilleniumHiltonHotel, Manager at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and apologize you were disappointed in the service and appointment of our hotel. We will use your input as we work to improve our guests' experience and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed there 4 years ago but we must have been thinking about another hotel because this time it was a bit of a disappointment. We picked this hotel because we rememered that it was very close to ground zero which it was. There was no disappointment there. From our room we had a gorgeous aerial view of both memorials. We also had a great view of the Hudson River and tthe city. The parking attendant was fantastic in his service delivery. Here is our disapointment: there was no wi-fi in the room unless you bought it, if you wanted wi-fi you had to go to the lobby; there was ONE bar of soap in the bathroom (most hotel have one at the sink and one in the shower), the concierge had a very stand-offish air about him and never smiile, not inviting at all. For a four star hotel, the service and amenties were lacking a bit.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple