“Best View in NYC” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #234 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Best View in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

From my 48th floor room, I have a MAGNIFICENT view of the new Freedom Tower. Was able to watch the workers install the spire at the top while getting ready for work... fast elevators. friendly staff. great service. great location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (941)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

In South Manhattan I think one would be hard-pressed to find a better location. With views of the WTC construction, views uptown, and views across the river, nearly every window is a photo opportunity. The building itself is also quite nice; clean, modern, obviously upscale.

The fitness facility is well-equipped (again with great views), and the pool is also quite nice.

Only ate breakfast and room service sorbet, but both were decent. The menu is far from extensive, but nevertheless had some options which sound good on paper.

Where the property fails is in its service. Two different concierges (who only start at 09:00 in the morning) were the most disaffected service professionals I've ever met. The bar staff (in the surprisingly microscopic lobby bar) with the exception of one Bostonian who works Fridays, seemed put out to ever have to make a drink. The valet team in the garage were likewise obviously annoyed to have to retrieve a car from their garage.

It's a shame because the location and building are gorgeous, but for the money, I was very disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a high floor suite. We had nearly floor to ceiling glass in our corner unit and had amazing view...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
MilleniumHiltonHotel, Manager at Millenium Hilton, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind words on our location and views and we will use your honest input on our service and amenities as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' satisfaction. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may show you the quality hospitality you expect and deserve from our brand.

Alex

Alex Joset
Marketing Manager
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I booked a block of rooms for my wedding and I loved that me and my guests had such great views from our rooms. The reservations department gave me a great price for a King room $199. Though Junior suites are a littler more, they are worth it if you like having space. Chances are if you are visiting NYC, you will be out and about, so the King bedroom would suffice for a couple or small family on a budget. The rooms are clean and updated with views you would not believe. There is a pool, which is a nice bonus, but it is not a heated pool, so prepare for a cool dip! Of course, wifi is extra, but all hotels are making you pay these days.

As far as location, you have the E train right outside your door, which takes you uptown in no time at all. The hotel is with walking to World trade center memorial, Battery Square park, South Street Seaport, Wall street, even Chelsea and the Highline is walkable from here.

I highly recommend this hotel for the location and the views.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I've stayed in more than a dozen NYC hotels, including several downtown/Financial District. I've stayed at the Millenium Hilton at least 10 times, so feel I have a pretty good basis for writing this review.

Pros:
The location is very good. It is literally across the street from the World Trade Center, and many rooms afford an incredible view of WTC 1 (with newly added spire) and the East River. It's a short jaunt to the heart of the Financial District, and <10 minutes to the South Street Seaport (still under reconstruction, as of May 2013). In addition, Tribeca is close, and City Hall is just up the street. There are MANY dining options close by.

The rooms are nicely appointed. Not the most modern chic style, but upper end for a Hilton. The xx02 rooms are junior suites, which are certainly bigger than the average room, although the average rooms are also pretty spacious. I'd say average size for a hotel in this category (full service, like the Andaz, Marriott, and DoubleTree), certainly much bigger than the budget-minded properties (Best Western Seaport, Club Quarters).

The hotel has nice amenities, as you would expect, including a fitness room, pool (5th floor), restaurant (3rd floor), and bar (lobby). The fitness room is a bit small, though, and can get quite crowded. If you're interested in a run, I suggest taking advantage of the riverside paths rather than hitting the treadmill/elliptical. The restaurant is nice, but typically high hotel prices, including breakfast, which is only a value if you have Gold status or higher, whereby you can get free continental or $5 upgrade to full breakfast. Otherwise, save your money and take advantage of the many food options you have down Fulton and John Streets. The dinner options, I have to say, are tasty, although it is nice to get out every now and again - one can only have so many room service meals!

I do have to say that staff are pretty friendly and professional in all my experiences, from front desk to room service, restaurant to fitness center, and even the bellmen. This is a nice positive, although (imo) it is expected at properties like this.

The subway entrance is literally in front of the hotel, so very easy to get to midtown, uptown, or anywhere else. The PATH station to Jersey City and on to Newark is a block away off Vesey. Taxis are plentiful. Transportation is not an issue from this hotel.

Cons:
It's not a cheap property. Average nightly rates, in my experience, are in the mid-high $300s to over $400/night. Compare to the budget properties which are typically in the mid-$200s. If budget is an issue, this is not the place for you. Also, it's a high category hotel, so using points could be somewhat painful

They really should do a better job with outlets by the beds. Many people prefer to plug in their electronic devices by the nightstand. They do have power strips, but they are hidden behind the night stands and I've had to pull out the night stand in order to get to it. In addition, they have the clock radio and lamp plugged into it, so unless you have a multi-plug adapter, it may be difficult to get 2 plugs into it.

As mentioned, the fitness room is a bit small, and the food (restaurant and room service) are a bit pricey, although that's not necessarily out of the norm for this type of property.

And as with many full-service hotels, in-room wifi is still not free, unless you have Gold status or higher.

Some of the rooms have older Zenith TVs, while others have newer LGs. I think I prefer the LGs, personally. And while the channel selection is good, most of them are standard definition. I would have expected more HD channels from a property of this level.

Overall:
Great location, nicely appointed and all the amenities you expect. It's not a budget-friendly hotel, but delivers a consistent product. This is one of my go-to properties downtown due to its close proximity to work and clients.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MrConsultant
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is always awesome. I've been upgraded every time ie stayed here. Breath taking views, fabulous, friendly staff, great rooms, nice beds. NYC hotels are either hit or miss, and this one hits the mark.

• Stayed December 2012
Long Island,NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nice hotel downtown close to all major subways. Junior suite nice size room for Manhattan very clean and comfortable.My son and I enjoyed the pool in the morning.It is right next to Century 21 for those who like to shop,
would definitely stay again

• Stayed April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MilleniumHiltonHotel, Manager at Millenium Hilton, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community. We are so happy to hear you had a memorable stay with us, and enjoyed the hotel's locations as well as amenities - including our heated indoor pool! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Millenium Hilton soon.

Best Regards,
Alex

Alex Joset
Marketing Manager
Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked our trip through Priceline.com, which I had never done before.

The room was plenty large & the view was fantastic. I think we were on the 22nd floor & on the side of the hotel overlooking the cemetery. I didn't notice any construction noise.

We ordered room service & I have to say that the burger was AMAZING. (I am not a big burger person either.)

My only negative would be that we were nickel & dimed when we used the business center to print our boarding pass. For this type of hotel, I feel that should have been included & not such an inconvenience. I had to go back up to my room to get my credit card to have access to the computer & then the printer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business