“Good location but tired hotel”

Millennium Hilton New York Downtown
Ranked #226 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was staying here as the hotel was a walkable distance to all my meetings (Tribeca). In my view the reception looks okay but the corridors look like they havent been refurbished since 1970s, which makes the walk to the room not so pleasant. On top of that the lift is scary making noises and shaking.... Not good for my confidence in the hotel.

The room were tired but not too bad. Bathroom was another Hilton disaster. I reckon that this is an area of serious cost saving for the company and it shows. The bath tub was dirty, The shower leaking.

As I was alone I ordered room service. The room service is very expensive but the portions are very good size and the service efficient.

My sleep was ok. I do not have any negative points to mention although I dont recall anything exceptional either.

Breakfast was nice. I enjoyed looking over at the construction of the new freedom tower -- funnily one of the more interesting scenes despite what it sounds like as it was not noisy at least at that point.

Room Tip: I enjoyed a room overlooking the construction site
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
MilleniumHiltonHotel, Manager at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your input on the look and feel of our property and we will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for ways to improve our guests' satisfaction. We are glad you found our location convenient for your activities in the city and hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in the area.

Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,809)

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Always good to come to New York , Add the Millenium Hilton and it doesn't get much better. Excellent staff and great views of the city and the skyline and you can watch as this great city is rebuilding our World Trade Center Site. A Big Thank you to ALL that are working tirelessly on this project. God Bless America and The Great City of New York .

Room Tip: The higher the better , especiallly the suites....... Amazing views of the city .
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank captainbrian83
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We went back to the Hilton at the request of our son--another birthday celebration. Construction at the Ground Zero site seems to have lessened, so much so that we weren't even offered a white noise machine, the way we were last time we visited.

Everything about the hotel was still immaculate, including the pool. We had another junior suite with beautiful views of the Hudson, the bridges and New Jersey. Really spectacular at night. The suite was the same as last time (two 42 inch TV's, one for the bedroom, one for the living room.) This time we relegated our son to the living room couch/sofa bed. He was not happy about that, since he is 6 ft tall and the bed was small, but since he spent more time out of the room celebrating, we thought it was only fair. Each room had its own climate control system so everyone gets to pick how cold they want to set the air conditioning.

The area around the hotel gets extremely crowded with people visiting the Ground Zero site. We walked there from the hotel, which was a longer walk than expected (the entrance is farther away than it appears.) If you are going to the site, be prepared to spend a few hours there, what with the wait on line to get in. Walking around the hotel takes time, too, since the sidewalks are narrow and there is a lot of car, tour bus and taxi traffic. There is a subway station right in front of the hotel as an option to taking a cab.

My husband was tired after being at Ground Zero, so we decided to have drinks in the lobby bar instead of going out for a nightcap. The prices were typical for Manhattan (expensive.) At least the drinks were strong and the service was good. We had breakfast in Church & Dey, the hotel restaurant on the third floor. That's the kind of place where ordering a la cart is ridiculous ($6 for a bagel). If you have a hearty appetite, you should get the breakfast buffet ($23). Or, order the bakery basket, which has enough muffins and breads for two people ($9).

They still charge an outrageous price for internet ($14.95) and ridiculous charges ($55 per day) to park a car. Still, I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone. I'm sure my son will want to come back for another birthday celebration weekend.

Room Tip: Higher floors have spectacular views and less street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
MilleniumHiltonHotel, Manager at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Genny,

Thank you so much for sharing your review about the Millenium Hilton. We are so pleased you have returned to the hotel for another visit to celebrate your son's birthday weekend. I am happy to know our staff and accommodations provided you with a memorable experience overall. We are happy you understand the competitive NYC pricing put in place at the Millenium, but are happy to let you know we have since reduced the WiFi charge to $12.95 per day. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you yet again to the Millenium Hilton on your next weekend getaway!

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

I spent 5 nights on a business trip and found the hotel clean and comfortable, although the room (1010) was a bit noisy from the WTC construction.
It is very close to PATH, and A, C, and E lines and the R line station is right by the main entrance to the hotel.
The restaurant was OK. Nothing spectacular, but not bad either.
This was my second stay at this hotel. The first one being two years ago and when I return to this area for business I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our room was large (for NYC standards) and clean overlooking the Ground Zero site. Lots of construction going on, but we never heard any of it in our room. Subway was right outside the door so it was easy to hop on to go to and from Times Square. If you're looking for a quiet place to stay away from the hustle and bustle of midtown, but with easy access, this is your hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us! We are thrilled to know you had a memorable visit to the Millenium Hilton and enjoyed the convenient location and spaciousness of your guestroom. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 6, 2013

The hotel can give you amazing views if you make sure you book on a high floor. I had fantastic uptown views as well as the new WTC and the memorial and part Hudson views.
Jr. Suite was great because the bedroom was in the corner therefore affording several views as mentioned.
Bathroom is typical US Hilton, so nothing special, but I love the amenities.
Check-in and out was swift and cordial, concierge helpful on dining suggestions. Only remark is one of the doormen have me directions to the PATH train on a weekend day, and it turns out the PATH is still closed on weekends after Sandy. The hotel should know that! Had to go back to the hotel and hail a cab for Penn Station. First cab lined up would not take me, turns out they are queuing for fares to Newark/JFK. Apparently doormen get $5 commission on it, the GM really should put an end to that practice.

Breakfast is a really mediocre selection, I could not believe how small a spread they had for a Hilton. Quality was OK. No pancakes though.

Big plus: hotel has a pool so I could swim laps, pool is pretty rare in NYC.

Overall well satisfied, and downtown location is great if you need to be down there. Otherwise plenty of subway options to go uptown, and cabs are easy to get as well. Location is good for exploring Soho, Tribeca and other interesting lower neighbourhoods.

Weekend rates can be a true bargain, weekdays are usually very expensive as its full of suits working in the financial district.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I had a great experience. The views were spectacular from the room. This is a great location if your interests are around the Financial District, Brooklyn Bridge, WTC, Trinity Church and Wall Street, China Town, etc. The staff was very friendly and helpful. This hotel is great for getting around New York City; it is also across from ground zero. Which is good or bad, depending on your point of view, but the noise from construction outside was a bit disturbing. The hotel itself is really tall and the rooms have large windows, I believe once the constructions ends might be a bit better regarding the noise issue. Apart from that, it is a great hotel in Manhattan.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo