“Location Location!”

Millennium Hilton New York Downtown
Ranked #214 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Great hotel with an excellent location for site seeing. Located right across the street from ground zero 911 memorial. Easy access to all subways.

The hotel room (4501) was very nice and we had 2 beautiful views; 1 of ground zero and 1 of the Brooklyn Bridge.

The hotel breakfast was a buffet and was over priced. The only meal we had in the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,744)

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family (2 - 6 year olds and husband) stayed here for two nights immediately following the Christmas holiday. The location was fantastic! Yes, there is construction going on all around but the noise nor activity was bothersome at all. Our room (1701) had a view of the Hudson from two different streets as well as the construction going on down below. The lobby personnel were very helpful in getting us checked into our room early and assisting with subway information. There are several subway lines nearby that can take you everywhere you want to go in the city. We never needed a taxi since the subways were so close and so convenient. The room was very clean and a decent size for our family of four. They had real wine glasses in the room which is always a bonus! They also have Lavazza coffee pods which were good. The pool was a highlight with our children and was never super busy. We spent time there each day. We did not eat in the hotel nor did we need room service so I can not comment on that. This hotel is definately on our list based on value and location!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
MilleniumHiltonHotel, Manager at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your review regarding your recent stay with us. We are absolutely delighted to hear that you had a memorable family vacation at the Millenium Hilton during the Holiday Season. I am happy to hear you found our location convenient for transportation access and enjoyed the view and size of your guestroom! We hope to be able to welcome you and your family back to the hotel on your next visit to NYC.

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was mostly luck, not the hotel, but we had a terrific time the weekend before Christmas in New York City, and our experience at this hotel, which overlooks the World Trade Center, was a pretty material part of it. Visitors to NY tend to stay in midtown, but on weekends, we like Wall Street. It's quiet, but easy to get to, because all the subway lines converge. The hotel itself is well-situated--on top of one subway line, across the street from Century 21 (discount clothes), next to one of the two old churches down there, and overlooking the WTC site. And it's usually less expensive.

The room itself was perfect (we got an upgrade), the service terrific. We liked the pool, and we liked the view a lot. On the weekends, of course, the WTC construction stops, and the tourist traffic (which can get pretty intense) slows down, too.

All in all, just fine.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I booked a junior suite for a weekend visit to NY with my family. Upon checking into the hotel, I asked for a replacement of any down pillows and comforters in the bedroom. Maid service showed up shortly; said I didn't have any down pillows etc. even though that's advertised as part of the bed service. They wanted to make up the sofa bed in the living room area however I asked them to come back in an hour. When I returned six hours later the sofa bed wasn’t made and the room was stifling. The engineer and maid service came. The sofa bed was made however the engineer couldn’t fix the room temperature. Then there was a head splitting noise in the living area, which the engineer stated, was from the elevators. Was moved to another room, after confusion as to which room I was moving to. Amazingly, after being told that there was no way to regulate coolness in my original room the thermostat worked fine in the bedroom of the new room but not in the living area. Although I loved the location, I doubt I’ll stay at Millenium my next visit.

Room Tip: The corner junior suites on the higher floors have great views of the WTC memorial. The junior suite...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
MilleniumHiltonHotel, Manager at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your input as new perspectives help us to make necessary changes to best meet our guests needs. We apologize for the issues you encountered in your first room and we are glad to have found you a suitable second option. Our maintenance team is working to correct the issue with the climate control and we are sorry for the inconvenience of moving rooms and the delay in your housekeeping request. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality service and accommodations you deserve, should you visit our area again in the future.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Nice hotel with a subway station right at its door. Staff upgraded me to a river view on the 50th floor; that was just perfect!
There is a nice restaurant on the third floor with a small but very good menu.
The only problem is checking-in; it may take a while.

Room Tip: river view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank philosion

Thanks you for sharing this review! We are pleased to know that you found your stay at our hotel to be an enjoyable experience. I am happy you were able to get an upgrade to a room on the 50th floor with great views of the city. Thank you for your feedback regarding check-in as well; I will be sure to communicate this to our staff to ensure we are always improving on our guest service. I am also glad to know you enjoyed eating in our restaurant, Church & Dey, located on the 3rd floor of the hotel. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We chose this hotel when it was on s special offer because it was better value than expensive midtown hotels. It is a business hotel in the business district so don't lose sight of that. The bar area/decor/rooms are set up for the business traveller so although clean & spacious are quite bland. The beds are very comfortable & all the fittings are good quality. We had a corner suite which had a separate tv lounge area & the views into the city & over Ground Zero & towards the Hudson River are outstanding. The bathroom was not as clean as it could have been, some hairs & fluff in the corners.
We used the Subway to get around which is right next to the hotel, traffic is terrible day & night so moving around by taxi is slow!! You can walk down to South Street Sea Port for shops & restaurants & also to get the water taxi/hop on hop off bus tours. There is currently a lot of water damage here from Hurricane Sandy.
Road noise was minimal as we were quite high up but beware...on weekdays the Ground Zero reconstruction site is nearly a 24 hour operation so construction noise is high.
We didn't eat at the hotel, we had our breakfast a couple of mornings at the deli opposite which was full of local New Yorkers & construction workers. Good, cheap American/Italian food, hige portions & good variety of food...as per American style!
The main negative point about this hotel is that they don't offer free WiFi which is odd in this day & age. Perhaps its to rip off the business travellers but it doesn't sit well with the average tourist...of which there are still plenty using this hotel. You can get free Wifi in every Starbucks & everywhere we went to eat it was available, including the deli.
Overall the hotel served our needs at a fair price for New York...which is insanely expensive...but I would not return. Might pay a bit more for a hotel that feels a little more like a holiday hotel & not a business hotel! If you happen to be a business traveller...this hotel is perfect for you!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a nice hotel. Granted across the street you have the WTC endless construction but it is still a nice hotel and the construction across the street gets you a discount at this hotel. The last time my wife and I stayed here, while checking in, I had my wife take a seat in the lobby. I waited until only one employee was at the check in desk and I went up to her with a smile. I said I'm checking in and it is a special occasion for me and my wife. (I got the hotel via bidding on priceline at a 60% discount off the rack rate) I asked her if she could possibly upgrade our room for the occasion. I had a 50 dollar bill in my hand and a smile on my face. She upgraded us to a king suite with a city view for free. I slipped her the $50 and thanked her for making our trip. Years ago I worked at a 4 diamond hotel and I can assure you the people at the front desk are just getting by. If you are nice to them and its not super booked, they will take care of you if you take care of them$$. Our suite was way up in the hotel. If I recall in the 42nd or 44th floor. A very nice room and comfortable bed. If you like staying down in this part of the city its a great hotel for the money.

Room Tip: Have cash in your hand and a smile on your face to get a free room upgrade. Be discrete about it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple