“this place is awesome!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“this place is awesome!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Here is what's cool about it.

[1] It's NEW. New rooms, free wifi on ALL floors, new rugs, showers, lobby, etc.
[2] service: excellent
[3] location: i think it's BETTER than those Times Square centrally located hotels. Why you may ask? Look at the NYC subway system. Except for possibly EWR, both JFK and LGA have easier transfers than getting on the Red-1,2,3.
[4] location: it's in Chinatown!! Food is AWESOME and CHEAP! I'm talking Vanessa's Dumplings, for $1 you get 4 dumplings, or the dim sum? or Great NY Noodle House which virtually doesn't close??

I'd go back again! It's also walking distance to Little Italy, so you can get your gelato cravings as well. Closest train station is Grand St. =)
very safe. feel free to walk around at night. all tourists do. =P

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Omar B, Manager at Wyndham Garden Chinatown, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your glowing review! We absolutely agree that we are in a great location for public transportation and good food in many varieties! Thank you again for choosing the Wyndham Garden Chinatown, we look forward to accommodating you in the near future.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Street, Maryland
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I just got back from NYC. We stayed at Wyndham after seeing special thru Travel Zoo. Really nice new hotel and loved the floor to ceiling windows. This really made the room seem much bigger. Had breakfast in hotel. Voucher good for continental breakfast or $10 off another breakfast. This was a great way to start the day. Also saw their restaurant on Restaurant.com. . Close to both China Town and Little Italy. Very close to B-D subway line that goes right to Times Square.

Room Tip: High floors have amazing view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hamp90
Omar B, Manager at Wyndham Garden Chinatown, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Wyndham Garden Chinatown. I am glad to hear that we could meet your needs with our facilities and location. Indeed our location is perfect for guests wishing to venture out and enjoy the city via Mass Transit. Thank you again for choosing our property, we look forward to accommodating you in the near future.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Have stayed all over NYC. Depending on your purpose each area is different in relation to how good your hotel is. We have stayed at "The Hudson" ....very hip...not so comfortable but very cool. Location to Central Park can't be beat. Mid Town..."The Maritime" is our favorite...SUPER comfy beds and a good, off the beaten track location. Go a bit south and with a hefty budget..."The Bowery" is the ultimate! This time we stayed further south..."The Wyndham Garden Chinatown" is really the best deal going. The staff was so courteous and attentive that it was pretty much unbelievable. The view from our room (1605)....FAB!!! So if you are coming to NYC to see all there is to see....stay near Times Square for it's central location. If you want to feel like a rich local then stay around Central Park. If you want comfort and don't mind public transportation or reasonably priced dinners (Little Italy)....Stay at the Wyndham Garden Chinatown for it's great service, fabulous views (we stayed in one night just to watch Pay Per View and keep the curtains open for the NYC View! This is my new Fav and the Taxi to LGA is quick and inexpensive as opposed to the other hotels I mentioned. I will be returning no matter what the purpose of my trip!
Thank you to the manager Omar and the Staff of the Wyndham Garden Chinatown for a wonderful stay!!

Room Tip: Choose the higher floors for the view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BannaFam
Thank you for your comments and feedback. We are pleased that your stay was a comfortable, welcoming one. We strive to be a "home away from home" to all of our guests. Our hotel prides itself on excellent service and I have shared your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. Thank you again we look forward to welcoming you back to Wyndham Garden Hotel Chinatown.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I can't say enough great things about this hotel: the warm, friendly, helpful staff (Omar, Tom, Nadia, Massy, and others whose names I may not spell correctly, sorry); the spotless room, comfortable bed, great bathroom, and awesome views of Manhattan, especially at night. This was my second stay there and the breakfast has definitely improved a lot. This will now be the only hotel I choose when I come to New York.

Room Tip: Upper floors have amazing views of uptown Manhattan.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bostonprofessor
Thank you for your kind review! We are delighted that you had a good stay at our property. Our Team Members are one of our biggest assets; they are all professional, friendly, and eager to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay. It is such a pleasure when we can share positive comments such as yours with the team. Thank you again for staying with us, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to Wyndham Garden Chinatown.

Chicago Illinois
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for four nights and couldn't wait to leave.
Management are very poor, dealt with front office manager who immediately flicked me to the guest services manager.Who is very condescending and rude !
Looking after guests does not appear to be the right job for them.
Was supposed to be in a high floor room but was given a tiny room on 2nd floor that was extremely small and hot.
Refused to move me as they were supposedly sold out! People continued to check in all weekend, so obviously that was not true.
Free breakfast is a joke, minimal offerings and of bad quality.
Area is not good, stinks from the surrounding Chinatown vendors.

Housekeeping was good.

On checking out was told I would receive better room if I booked with the hotel and paid a higher rate ???

Never again!

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank CRAPHIL
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. An experience such as the one you described is taken very seriously by all of us here, and we look forward to an opportunity to make it better. Although I cannot undo what happened, I would like to personally discuss your recent stay, and hopefully you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us. Unfortunately, we do have limited availability on the higher floor or upgraded rooms and if we were sold out, we would be unable to upgrade you to one of the rooms that was already promised to another guest due to check in.

I appreciate your feedback, as this helps us become the very best that we can be, and I look forward to speaking with you directly concerning your recent stay. I may be contacted at 646-329-3410, or obouchaar@wyndham.com. In the meantime, we remain fully at your service and look forward to the chance of welcoming you back.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Since this hotel is brand new, the room was in perfect condition. The deco is simple, tasteful and modern. The location is perfect since it puts me in the middle of Chinatown and I can eat at all my favorite places. I took the Lucky Star bus from Boston to NYC. The bus stop is in the same block as the hotel so I felt completely safe wandering the few steps to the hotel despite the midnight arrival time.

Here are some negative factors we encounter. I would mention them in case they help other travelers:

1) When I booked the room, I saw that rollaway bed is available. But when I checked in, I was told that cannot be done in a room with two double beds. Would have been nice if the website clearly mentions that.

2) This hotel charges more for a room with two beds but only give you two vouchers for the continental breakfast. That is a rather odd practice and inconvenient for a family of 4. We gave the restaurant a try. It was way over-priced and the food was below average. Considering the Chinatown location, if the hotel doesn't provide you with enough vouchers, you're better off eating elsewhere.

3) The hotel directory suggests there is an ice machine on the 3rd & 5th floor but the hotel is so new; the ice machines have not even been installed. I saw an opening that is not sound proof in the narrow hallway. I hope that's not where the ice machine would go since that would be too noisy. But then again, the hallway is so narrow; I can't see where one would put an ice machine without the noise.

4) The bathtub is designed with a very short splash glass, no shower curtain. When you take a shower, the entire bathroom gets quite wet. Remember not to bring your dry clothes in. I also wonder if the hotel could keep mildew from developing on the bathroom tiles since it gets surprisingly wet in there.

5) The hotel is located on 93 Bowery Street. One night, I asked the front desk if I should go left or right if I want to head toward 70 Bowery, the two guys at the front desk didn't know. I was surprised. The front desk staff should really know the neighborhood better. Mgmt please give them a map and train them to assist tourist.

6) If you are afraid of rats, you will want to use the Bowery Street entrance and avoid taking Christie Street at night. Since we arrived in Chinatown at midnight and took the shortest path from Lucky Star bus stop to the hotel, it means we took Christie Street. At night, NYC has some of the largest rats roaming around. With all the garbage piled on Christie Street, we saw rats as large as a small dog running around. In fact, my kids thought they were cats at first.

All in all, the rate at this hotel is reasonable for now, especially for single rooms. I question the double rate since it doesn't provide enough breakfast voucher for a max of 4 participants. I would stay here again if the rate is right because of its location. But next time, I would know its shortcomings and make my decision accordingly.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors. I hear you can see all the ways to city hall and possibly the 9/11 Memorial.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MROMom
It is disappointing to hear that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. All of us here take your comments very seriously, and we are eager to correct any failures on our part.

We also understand that our hotel is very unique in regards to the design and the size of our rooms and that the structure of the rooms may not be for everyone. However, from the rave reviews we have received so far from other travelers, we are confident that we are providing a unique and fresh experience for our guests.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Great stay, great value. Stayed here for 3 nights on business. I was greeted warmly when I checked in and the staff was extremely professional though out the stay. The room was small but designed efficiently. Everything was new and clean. The hotel is easily accessible from the subway system,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim B
Short, sweet, and to the point! Thank you so much for your review! We look forward to seeing you again and hopefully for a longer stay! Take care!