“The best yoga center in NYC- Highly recommended :)”
Review of Dharma Yoga Center

Dharma Yoga Center
More attraction details
Owner description: The Dharma Yoga New York Center is a beautiful 7,500 foot space offering yoga practices for the public 7 days a week. The Center is a testament to Sri Dharma Mittra's 50 years of teaching yoga. It is located in the bustling neighborhood of Chelsea in Manhattan, New York City. At 72 years old, Sri Dharma Mittra continues to teach here, five days a week, with 13 practices and workshops that range in focus from postures and breathing to meditation and philosophy. In addition, the Dharma Yoga Center offers practices for beginners and all level students focusing on health and well-being.
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Dharma yoga center is my favorite yoga studio in the United States! It has the best location, best teachers and best yoga classes offered! The founder, Sri Dharma Mittra is my favortie yoga master in the world, he is a happy, witty yet very peaceful and spiritual teacher! I enjoyed every single classes I did with him! Too bad I'm back to Hong Kong now! I miss him and everyone from the yoga center so much!

1  Thank Kay L
in 5 reviews
"breathing"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed August 31, 2013

First time I visited Dharma yoga center last year. I was tourist and couldn’t have a chance to visit many yoga studios but I had a memorable experience at that place. I tried to drop in master class that was taught by Sri Dharma Mittra. The temple was big and spacious. It was quiet and clam also. Spiritual atmosphere made me forgot there was the center of big city. I felt it was seclude place. There were many great yogis in the class. I hadn’t practiced any challenging poses ever. So I was little nervous and couldn’t catch up with them so much. During the class Dharma also gave me advices to try many poses and he also gave me a chance to try partner yoga with one of the experienced student of him. I was really impressed because I was a just visitor and there were many students in the class. From that experience I tried to come back to N.Y. and take “Life of a Yogi teacher training program”.
If you want to try yoga in N.Y, I highly recommend Dharma yoga center. There were many different kind of classes for all levels. Location was also good and very close to subway stations .It also good access for vegan or vegetarian food places after yoga!

1  Thank EmikoIwata
Reviewed August 28, 2013

If you are a yogi (or yogini) visiting NYC you would be making a huge mistake to not go to Dharma Yoga Center for classes. Whatever level (beginning or Advanced) this studio has well qualified teachers to enhance your practice. Dharma Mittra has been practicing and teaching in NY since the 1970s and has devoted followers from all over the world. He teaches yoga with an emphasis on the yamas and niyamas which distinguishes it from the trendy "gym-based yoga studios". I've been coming to Dharma's studio for several years to study for a few days at a time and have always left feeling like I've gained a better understanding of yoga and feeling physically challenged in a new way. Dharma's seriousness towards yoga combined with his sense of humor lay the foundation for a nurturing atmosphere. In addition to classes, I've taken workshops and more recently the 200 hour teacher training. For 10 days we were immersed in asana practice, pranayama, meditation, anatomy, kirtan, sacred texts studies and knowledge of the 8 limbs of yoga. It was a true growth experience. I've been to many workshops and studios and I can say that Dharma West is truly unique. No matter how short your visit or what type of yoga you usually practice, it would be well worth your time to visit Dharma West.

2  Thank ZillerVA52
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Dharma Yoga Center in NYC is a studio that every yogi of every level should visit and experience. Sri Dharma Mittra is a true living Master with a welcoming and warm energy. There is truly no way to describe how uplifting it is to be in his presence. For the yoga teacher, the teacher training is a completely life altering and enhancing experience. The knowledge of yoga (and of yourself, your life, yogic history, the asana, and yogic texts) that you will gain is immeasurable. One truly has to experience it firsthand. If you have any reservations about going -- don't waste time..just go!! The teachers, Sri Dharma, the fellow yogis at the Center -- all welcome you with open hearts. For the yoga student, there are classes for every level of student from the beginner to the most advanced. The Center is a must visit destination for any yogi!!!

1  Thank Jen D