“Southern Goodness in NYC”

Donna Bell's Bake Shop
Ranked #58 of 400 Bakeries in New York City
Neighborhood: Midtown
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed April 20, 2013

As a transplanted southerner to NYC there are things I miss....sweet tea, true southern homemade biscuits, pastries, and recipes that remind me of my Mamaw(grandmother- for those not from the South). I have finally found that place at Donna Bell's Bake Shop.

Recently I had the pleasure of having a breakfast biscuit with suasage, egg, and cheese on the best biscuit I have ever had-sorry to my Mamaw. The biscuit was light and fluffy and really melted in my mouth. We also bought cookies for later that were as big as my daughter's face and YUMMY! I wish we could have gone back for lunch because they were making turkey tettrazini-one of my faves.

The space is small so be prepared to take your food out to eat. There are two small window seats but it gets crowded so it is better to go around the corner of Worldwide Plaza and sit at one the outdoor tables.

Donna Bell's will now be a regular stop for me. They also have a catering menu and you can order online to send goodies as a gift. I love this place!!!

1  Thank Lynne L

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Wandered in for the good smells but went back for a second visit based upon the great tastes and the discovery of the connection to Pauley. The shop I'm sure does great justice to her mother's recipes - everything we had was delicious - cinnamon scones and berry crumble muffins. A great place to stop to get some southern goodness!

1  Thank 927lisam927
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Oh the coffee... oh the peach coffee cake (best thing I had there - choosing a favorite is near impossible though)... oh, the biscuits - cheddar, bacon, who cares... it's all SO STINKING GOOD.

We went every day we were in town. I'm not usually one to try a place more than once on a vacation because I like to try new things but I couldn't decide on even one pastry each day anyway so I just tried a different one each day.

Staff is New-York-friendly. Definitely not concerned about winning a customer service award and they are really not concerned about you being upset if they're out of anything. If they're out, you're out of luck and I guess they do enough business it doesn't do them any damage. I would never bring a list of things you'd like to order b/c you never know what will be in stock.

If you live in NYC, I'm jealous of you mostly because you live anywhere near this great find. I know they ship bars and cookies but I need full orders of the other pastries. Or maybe they shouldn't because I would be BROKE.

1  Thank scrapbookfoodie
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Donna Bell 's is a great find in Midtown. I can still taste the wonderful maple cinnamon scone and the scrumptious humming bird bread pudding. Throw calorie caution to the wind and enjoy the many delicious treats here.

1  Thank DuffyNC
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend said his peanut butter slice was the best cake he has ever had! I went for the red velvet cheesecake & was lovely. Very cute little shop, homemade cakes so there isn't a mass choice but I'm sure there is something for everyone. We had some fresh lemonade which was also very refreshing. Not too badly priced. I spent $11.70 on 2 cakes & a small lemonade. It took us a little while to find the shop, it's just round the corner from Starbucks.