“An Adventure” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel
You added Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel to your Saves list
340 Bowery, New York City, NY 10012-2458 (Manhattan)   |
Los Angeles
“An Adventure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

Pros: CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!!

Cons: Room was so small that I couldn't strech out on my bed ;))) (I'm 6'1)

Hey, It's not a 5Star hotel, but if you want budget travel ($29/night) in the heart of Manhattan, you can't be too picky either (its NY baby). I wouldn't recommend it for picky, high maintencance folks. But for travelers that just want to spend cheap nights in Manhatten it definitely is an option. I arrived there in, I think 03, from Germany and took little things such as being able to see into your neighbours "room" if standing on bed with a smile ;) (Do to central air....walls didn't go all the way up...they might have changed that by now???) Overall i remember it as clean though and could spend decend nights there.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank christian_82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
Czestochowa, Poland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

"Rooms" (places with something like bed and wardrobe) was dirty. In this "wardrobe" we have found a bugs. Bathroom... it was horrible... everything was dirty... rust and dirt was everywhere. Don't try to use it if you don't want to catch some sickness. After one night we move out from there.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Karpiq
WhitehouseHotelofNY, Manager at Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
I apologize that you did not enjoy your room. Since your stay, The Whitehouse Hotel of NY has undergone a major renovation improving the quality and privacy of our rooms. We strive to provide a clean, safe environment great for getting a good night's rest between your adventures in New York City.

Bedbugs represent an ongoing struggle, both at the Whitehouse Hotel of NY and throughout NYC. Our bedbug prevention methods using steam and heavy vacuuming have been recognized as more effective than chemicals. When our guests report that their rooms have bedbugs, we address the issue immediately.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

I stayed here twice and both times I did not mind it at all. The room is SUPER small and is not super clean. The bed however was clean and I had not issues sleeping. The closet and floor were a bit dirty but I did not expect anything immaculate. I was only in the room to sleep, it is the only thing you can do in it. After 11pm or midnight there is a no talking rule which is understandable. However you can shower at anytime which is ironic because when you turn on the water the whole floor can surely hear you. If you are looking for a cheap place to sleep and do not expect much besides a small cube with an open ceiling to do so then you might be pleased. I am pretty sure this hostel has been closed for a little bit due to a fire risk (I think, too many rooms in a small building) but now it is open with limited space. I would go back, but I think my travel partner has moved on from such a cheap no frills hotel!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New York CIty
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Assuming that you are a tourist, please don't stay here. This is only one step up from a homeless shelter, and is the most depressing place I have ever stayed in my life. The "rooms" are really cubicles in a warehouse, and the floors bounce whenever someone walks past (usually around 2 or 3am, but who's counting?). There are real bed and breakfasts available for these prices.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank DCS2009
We're sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit. Our New York hostel features rooms that are intentionally small - we aim to provide a safe and secure place for guests to store their belongings and go out and enjoy New York City.

Our small rooms allow us to provide low rates great for students and travelers on a budget. (I personally have never heard of bed and breakfast with rates as low as ours.)

Since your visit, The Whitehouse Hotel of NY has been renovated so that our rooms are more private and better insulated.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

This was a basic hostel and the rooms were open ceilinged cubicles so soundproofing was not good. However, if you are planning to see New York it is well placed in Manhattan to get around. This is a hostel and yes it is used by some homeless people but people I spoke to were pleasant and courteous. The staff were also fine and the place felt safe. If you are on a budget then it is worth staying here and spending your money enjoying yourself.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Konstanz
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

This place SUCKS! I was actually there a while ago with a friend, but I just discovered trip advisor and wanted to warn people not to stay here. It is so incredibly awful and depressing. I get that you won't want to spend a lot of time in your hotel since you're in NYC, but if the thought of going to sleep somewhere makes you involuntarily convulse, it is time to pick a new hotel and just forget about the money. If you don't have enough money to pay for something better than this crack house in training, then you shouldn't go to New York. If you will be there for a while, look in the borroughs to find a cheaper place. You don't want to stay here. It will completely depress you.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank harpo21
We're sorry to hear about your negative experience. The Whitehouse Hotel of NY was recently renovated in December 2010, greatly improving our ambience and the quality of our rooms. We also removed the lattice at the top of our room walls for added privacy.

Our New York hostel provides an affordable, safe place for travelers to store their belongings and sleep. If guests are ever uncomfortable during their stays, we encourage them to consult the front desk, which operates 24/7 every day of the year.
baltimore, md
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

Bar none, the most foul accomodations I have ever experienced. We checked out in the middle of the night when we awoke to our sheets (and selves) covered in bedbugs. The guy at the desk was so baked, I had to tell him 4 times before it penetrated his pot-addled brain. I have traveled extensively and stayed in many hostels and nothing could have prepared me for this.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank supertinkles
Bedbugs are admittedly a huge problem for much of New York City. We apologize for your negative experience and assure you that we work very hard to control and remove bedbugs from our rooms. We use steam and heavy vacuuming to clean our sheets and other items — a method recognized as more effective than chemical treatments. Whenever a guest alerts us of a bedbug problem, we deal with it right away.

Our New York hostel has also been renovated since your stay, greatly improving the interior.