“Please dont book this place!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel
Lyon, France
“Please dont book this place!!!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were placed in a double box (its not a room!!!) just near the bathrooms. We had to sleep (but without sleeping in fact) all three nights with the sound of dripping water. There is no ceiling in the rooms nor in the bathrooms and toilets. We had to listen to all what people do in BR and TL. Dirty sheets, bugs, without window. Our weekend in NY turned into a disaster.

Moreover, once back in Boston we discovered that we got charged twice!!!

I've never seen a place like this before! =(

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Turkish first
Krakow
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was young and want to save money during trip across US but staying in this place has learned me that there are some things that you should not saving on. Among them is quality of your sleep or having shower in decent conditions. This place doesn't offer any of those. If you're reading this, please consider another place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I'm working at the biggest hostel in northern Europe (Danhostel Copenhagen City) and I have traveled in Asia and stayed in dodgy hostels before. So I would say I have a very good feeling about what You can expect when You go to a low budget place.

I have never experienced anything like this!

Actually the worst thing about this place, was the attitude from the staff. They where lazy and rude. No smiling or eye contact.
If me or any of my colleagues was acting like that in our reception in Copenhagen, we would be fired on the spot!

But yeah, like many other people have been writing:
- No loft in the rooms. Which means that the place is VERY noisy. You can literally hear if people are peeing or shitting, when someone uses the shared toilet.
- Rooms are not clean and the linens where old and discolored.
- The toilet and shower was so dirty. The floors wet and filled with hair. The zink was blocked all the time.
- The wifi didn't work
- No electricity plugs
- You need to be quiet at all times in the rooms

I don't find it cheap!
I would definitely look for something else. Thousands of New Yorker's rent out rooms in their apartments for less money. check that out.

IF YOU DECIDE TO STAY: check the room carefully for bedbugs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank josephine k
Glen Gardner, New Jersey
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We wanted to find a hostel, so, in the webpage it wasn't that bad, this was my second experience in a hostel , we knew that staying there will mean to share bathroom and maybe to hear some noise, fortunately the noise was the less, but the bathroom... was terrible, some doors didn't close, we were 3 girls sharing 5 toilets with at least 20 more on the same floor, there was just one shower and the door didn't close!!!!! there was nothing to hang up the towel, it was dirty and so uncomfortable ...fortunately the bed wasn't bad, but it was cold... and my bed was close to the window...I was freezing, it was as private as it could be (3 single beds with enough space to walk through) just some fake walls between beds with no outlets. The only good thing I can remember is about the girl in the lobby , she was nice, and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a horrific place and a sad excuse of a hotel. The rooms are actually cubicles made out of cardboard basically, the bathrooms are shared, there is no AC, the whole place is a mess, there were stains on the sheets, there is only one florescent bulb per room, light reaches all other rooms, and there are NO OUTLETS! My girlfriend and I walked in, looked at our room and walked out. Luckily we were given a full refund.

Room Tip: There are no rooms, just cubicles so if you're looking for a tip: DO NOT STAY HERE!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed here in December for 4 nights. It is probably the worst placed we've ever stayed. They give you a free night if you write a good review on them, but after staying here I will have to retract my previous review. Yes, its cheap but not THAT cheap to have a horrible stay. There are no ceilings, therefore no privacy/very loud. You can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in the rooms next to you and in the hallways and bathrooms. We were in between a big, fat snoring man and an Asian couple who did not think having a LONG conversation in their native language in a regular speaking volume at 3AM would bother us. The bathrooms were not clean and having to take a shower after the aforementioned snorer was a little gross.

It would have been smarter of the hotel to have guests stay in rooms that were not directly near each other for more comfort. All the guests on the floor were in rooms right next to each other while the whole other half of the floor was completely empty.

The rooms are SO small, I think my car has more room. The beds are very small and uncomfortable. Also, there are no outlets in the rooms, so you will have to either sit in the lobby for a charge or near the bathrooms in the hallway.

If you do stay here, make sure you bring ear plugs!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hatboro, PA
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I often spend nights in NY where all I really need is a bed, so I'm always looking at the cheapest options. The good thing about this place is that it is genuinely cheap in a really convenient neighborhood. If price is your biggest priority, you will not find a better deal in this area of Manhattan.

This place used to be a shelter (that I spent some time volunteering at, so I know for sure), and the owners have converted it to a hotel with no renovations. The rooms are so small that the single beds are custom size, which is why I am sure that they have not replaced the beds. What you get for your $30 or so is a room with a lock. There is no sound barrier at all - one of the three nights I was there, someone was trying to wake his friend for a 4:30am wakeup call and yes, we all woke up. I briefly called home, knowing my neighbors could hear my every word.

The place claimed to have internet you could purchase at two levels. For almost all of the time I was there, you could not purchase it at any level, which was really, really annoying since watching a movie on my electronic device was my plan to go to sleep. Some of it came up on the last of the three nights I was there, but since there were no power outlets in the room, my tablet was out of power and ...I didn't care anymore.

I didn't take a shower the whole time I was there, but...it is a challenge. There is a small changing area outside of each shower but the setup is awkward.

I would however, stay there again. I often pop in to the east village just needing a place to go to sleep, and I always find street parking for my car in the east village (I found a great spot in just 20 minutes for the three day I took in May). If you just need a place to sleep overnight and bathrooms and privacy are not a big concern, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends