I'm working at the biggest hostel in northern Europe (Danhostel Copenhagen City) and I have traveled in Asia and stayed in dodgy hostels before. So I would say I have a very good feeling about what You can expect when You go to a low budget place.
I have never experienced anything like this!
Actually the worst thing about this place, was the attitude from the staff. They where lazy and rude. No smiling or eye contact.
If me or any of my colleagues was acting like that in our reception in Copenhagen, we would be fired on the spot!
But yeah, like many other people have been writing:
- No loft in the rooms. Which means that the place is VERY noisy. You can literally hear if people are peeing or shitting, when someone uses the shared toilet.
- Rooms are not clean and the linens where old and discolored.
- The toilet and shower was so dirty. The floors wet and filled with hair. The zink was blocked all the time.
- The wifi didn't work
- No electricity plugs
- You need to be quiet at all times in the rooms
I don't find it cheap!
I would definitely look for something else. Thousands of New Yorker's rent out rooms in their apartments for less money. check that out.
IF YOU DECIDE TO STAY: check the room carefully for bedbugs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Whitehouse Hotel of NY is one of the most affordable hostels in New York, offering single and double air-conditioned units with the privacy and security you're looking for. Located in New York City's No-Ho district, our New York hostel is the perfect choice for backpackers, students and travelers on a budget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.