“Good for budget backpackers.”

Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel
Taipei, Taiwan
“Good for budget backpackers.”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Well, I've read bunch of reviews about this hotel which often are bad. But if you're short in budget and you also want to live in Manhattan, this is the place to fit. I've lived in this hotel for 7days, I don't find any bed bugs, and I don't feel noisy in the room area. The only annoying thing to me is that wifi over there is not free all the time. When you log in the free wifi, once you leave the hotel, you won't get free wifi after you vome back, this is really something that the hotel should make improvement immediately.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank WaluGlas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I liked stay in Bowery's Whitehouse hotel of NY. I't saved my money and time.Most the time I been out of hotel, so for me it did not matter how big is room been and how well it equped.It had a privacy, hot water and clean restrooms.Accross a street a little Seven/eleven where I usually had an enexpensive breakfast.So , I will reccomend it for people on a budget. Sincerely, Elvira Spartz.

Room Tip: It depend of number of people with whom you travel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I can't understand any of the good reviews on this hostel. Please avoid! This was the only bad experience of our 5day trip to NYC. The location is great, but that's the only good thing about it!

Rooms, toilets and showers were filthy, your "private" room has no ceiling so you can hear everything going on on the floor which I think had 63 beds. There was 2 shower cubicles and 4 toilets for the floor. No sockets in your room just one little light and our door handle fell off our door every time you opened it. We went down into the basement to see the laundry facilities and I felt like I was in a horror movie. I've stayed in alot of hostels around the world and this is by far my worst hostel experience!! AVOID!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Shezzle124

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

East Midlands
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked to stay here for 4 nights, we took the hit financially and moved to an alternative after night 2. The rooms are small which isn't so much of a problem however the lack of power, extremely noisy beds, door handle that fell off everytime you opened the door, the lack of ceiling making it sound like someone was next to you talking, the unclean showers and unclean toilets were too much! the hostel was also ridiculously hot.

the website and pictures do not reflect the reality of this hostel. I have stayed in many hostels and this was the worst by far. We mentioned to some locals where we were staying and they told us all the bad things they had heard.

the staff member on our arrival was extremely polite and helpful however the other members of staff we dealt with were not.

the location is fantastic however that is the only good thing I have to say

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nat0712
Budapest
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We just slept and took shower there, but it was too much. The shower was disgusting and small and no pressure. The room was small, the bed is loud. We didn't get bugs, thanks for God...No power in the room, so if you wanna charge your mobile or camera, you have to give it to the reception. Just ONE VALUE: the location, nothing else!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lukapop S
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Its OK for the price. Location is excelent. 2 mins to subway station.
Just bed and peg coat - everithing i need. Looks like hostels in asia, but cleaner.
If you dont sleep weel, take earplugs. Staff is OK. Not so friedly, but correct.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Aleshaak
Ljubljana
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Nice and friendly staff (front desk is open 24/7). Excellent location - steps away from NYU, Greenwich Village, the Meatpacking District, Ground Zero, SoHo and New York's hottest night spots, restaurants and best shopping. Safe and lively part of the No-Ho District of Manhattan. Would recommend to travellers who wants value for money...it's one of the most affordable in NYC. :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo