“I wish I did not have to rate this property”

Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel
Stockholm
“I wish I did not have to rate this property”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Everything written about this hostel is absolutely true: it's probably the worst hostel existing in the "Western world" as we know it.

So instead of doing the usual bashing let me point out what makes this place "stayable":
1- because it's such a disgusting place, it almost forces you to be out more and visit the city.
2- the staff is okay. I can sense that they are ashamed and pissed because they know this hostel is such a rotten place.
3- the location is the bomb. The best area of Manhattan if you ask me.

So if you are going there, here is some advice: bring your sheets or blankets and have ZERO EXPECTATIONS.

That's it.
Good luck.

Room Tip: bring your own blankets or pillow. Don't forget slippers and flip flops!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank MissM1980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I booked a "room" wit split beds for two people, for one night not expecting any comfort based on other opinions. I was hoping to have a better impression though knowing that majority of hostels in U.S. is really bad. Honestly this one was beyond my deepest imaginations. I am not kidding It is a good deal mainly for the hotel to pack so many people on one floor in sort of cubical spaces with weird door and really little space. These rooms give you a privacy only in theory and due to lack of ceiling you will be very uncomfortable talking to your party and you will be heard by everybody around. It is like staying for a night in a room full of people snoring, walking, kicking by chance so called walls, using bathroom for more or less serious reasons with all sound effects. Sound of people showering also gives a chance for rest... just joking. I just could not get a good sleep besides an earplugs protection. The bathroom and showers have no ceiling as well. The good was a nice smell through all the floor and relatively clean toilet and shower. My sleep was very uncomfortable. I could not really get a good rest due to all sounds carrying through the entire floor. To my shock I have found in the morning a spot of blood on a bed sheet likely mine and group of bed bugs trying to find a way back under the sheets. We just escaped from that facility and hopefully my luggage is bed bugs free. This is not a good place even so cheap. I do not recommend this place and give the lowest possible rating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank ARM-RK

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is the worst place i have ever stayed in on a trip. Arrived at 7pm and the guy at the reception was busy with his electronic gadget. He spoke with a lazy and couldn't care less attitude. Got a room at the 3rd floor. Thought i could shower and relax after a long bus ride. There was no place to charge my phone!!!! I could hear someone pee, fart and shower! The window sill was dirty and there were blood stains on the floor! Only comfort i got was the little bulb that lighted up in the cubicle. Some inconsiderate guys were shouting at night and wifi isn't free! Stay here if you want to experience life in a concentration camp with cubicle walls.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank LonelyAtTheMoment
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is possibly the worst place I have ever spent a night in. We travelled for 30 days across America and came to New York to spend our last few days. We found it very hard to find anywhere available and reasonably priced for the days we wanted so we resorted to this place. We knew it would be small and that it wouldn’t be the best place to stay but the fact is the only good thing about this place is the location. As the person said below the shower and toilet doors didn’t shut properly and didn’t have adequate locks. The toilets were clean however there were blood and other stains on the walls. The showers were always full of hair.
We didn’t get much if any sleep during our 4 nights stay as people were shouting, screaming and slamming doors. There are some very inconsiderate people out there! If your desperate I’d say go for this place though I can safely say I will never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tessa W
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The Bowery Hotel in New York was indeed an experience like no other! After completing a thirty day trip around both the east and west coast of America, We struggled to find availability of hostel/hotel rooms for our return to New York for our final four days. After three hours of searching, I discovered this hotel with only one room left so with haste, we booked the hotel without reading any reviews.
Without telling my travel partner about the reviews that I read after booking the accommodation, I panicked the whole journey back to New York.
The hotel does have good points. The location is perfect, located within a short walking distance to many attractions such as Chinatown/Little Italy district, Brooklyn Bridge, Ground Zero, Battery Park as well as close to a large shopping district. The Subway is a short walking distance away from the hotel and there are many affordable restaurants/grocery shops located close to accommodate everyone’s budget. Washington Square park, located beside New York Uni, is very close to the hotel and is a lovely area to sit and relax whilst listening to some amazing buskers. Baggage storage is free within this location which is very handy.
However, there are also many negatives about this establishment. Arriving early (10 am) after numerous days stuck on a bus from Las Vegas, we just wanted to check in and relax. Fair enough the check in time is three o’clock and they stuck to that rule. At Three O’clock; we checked in really tired to discover the small box we would be spending the next four nights in. This is explained on the website so we expected worse. The room was two beds on each wall with a small gap between the two beds. Storage room for cases was located under the beds which was good as there was literally no space to do anything with the suitcases standing up. Extra care could have been taking whilst cleaning the room as the storage board beside the bed was a little dirty as well as dust lying about the corners of the room. However the rooms were relatively clean.
The showers were ok. I found them really cold and didn’t enjoy standing on the floor outside the showers as the mats were soaking and a little dirty. I recommend taking flip flops for this part. Watch out as some of the shower doors don’t lock properly as I found when a blonde guest burst in whilst I was drying myself after a shower.
The toilets were kept really clean however the walls required a good clean as there was quite a few marks and dust on them. Again, just watch the toilet doors as one of them had a massive gap when you closed it, which I didn’t realise until watching people walked past and it was too late.
With the rooms being open, you hear everything around you! This would be fine is people respected the fact that people want to sleep, however there are some inconsiderate people who don’t really care about this. The first night was fine up until 7 AM when guests checking out that day banged and shouted all morning, taking no notice to the rest of the rooms telling them to shut up. The second night was a complete nightmare. I don’t understand why people would check into rooms so small/basic and want to stay inside them to talk loudly and laugh all night. From 11pm to 2 am, three groups ran up and down the corridors and shouted so loud it was impossible to sleep. After complaining to reception, the group went quiet until the women left and piped up again till 4 am. BY the third night, the hotel was quiet until 4 am when a lovely Australian guest thought it would be funny to shout “wake up everyone, I’m making a loud noise”. She might call herself cool for that one, I thought she was a bit inconsiderate to be honest. After a rude comment from myself back, she shut up. After four nights of disturbed sleep, it was time to check out and leave this place behind.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dale I
Petersham, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Whitehouse was the perfect place for me to spend a few nights in New York!
It was in a fantastic location ... close to subways & the hive of activity in Soho, Noho & Nolita.
A great coffee shop nearby & awesome tacos just up the road.
The price is just right so you can spend your money on other things & having a private room for the cost of a bed in a dorm is a bonus!
Clean & comfortable beds, the bathrooms are a little old but still work fine & the staff were super helpful.
I would definitely recommend Whitehouse to anyone travelling alone (or with friends) & wanting somewhere economical to stay in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: Have some earplugs handy so that you don't hear your neighbours ... remember that when you'r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Luvlylulu
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed here in Septemper 2008 for 7 nights.
You get a clean and safe place to sleep/have shower in an unbeatable location and price.
The Stuff is very friendly and help you with questions.
Perfect for single travellers...Will stay here again

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo