“big dissapointment!!!”

Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel
San Francisco, California
“big dissapointment!!!”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Those of you who said this hotel is a nice place must be staff in this hotel because nothing that was in the ad reflects the experience of this hotel. It's horrible indeed! For heaven's sake why take a picture of another building and pretend it's your so called hotel building? If realy you know the hotel is in good shape, then match the exact pictures of the interior with your ads. Scammers!

Room Tip: i will never recommend this hotel to any traveller.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank otitokoro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Turkish first
Cheektowaga, New York
Reviewed July 24, 2012

You get what you pay for generally. The price and location are great, You're in the middle of Manhattan, the most expensive real estate on Earth. The staff are helpful with directions etc.
The rooms are small, however, you're not going to NYC to stay in a room, no matter the size.
The bathrooms are kept clean by staff. I would recommend Whitehouse to the budget consious traveler that does'nt want to pay a fortune for a room they are not going to be in most of the day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank D R
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I thought I've been through bad situations travelling in China and other countries with little money, and stayed in hostels in other parts of the US before. However this one is a wild stretch of my imagination and I can only see that one night is traumatizing enough. And I see nothing connecting this place with the pictures I saw on the internet.
Picture yourself sleep in a white coffin without the top, and you hear people's voices and noises from all directions but you can't see them...The guy at the front desk was quite nice, he didn't believe I would stay and offered . He asked me to check the room first. He was right, I would have run out had I not been dragging my suitcase around the city for 6 hours at that point and could not hardly stand with my feet hurting. I decided to stay for one night and then run... Miraculously, I managed to get some sleep, hearing 3 men talking in a foreign language and what sounded like heavy rain and was probably the showers, and fully expect that the sounds could be worse if my neighbours decide to something fancy in the middle of the night. It was like a jail with 40 or 50 jail mates, except I don't see any of them, only their sounds and light pour down from the top of the cell, or they can literally jump down if they want to, from the space between the bars on the ceiling. The walls are pale white suspicious cardboard, I wonder if I would suffocate to death in the middle of the night, and was massively relieved when later of the night I felt some breeze from who knows where. My head also went bananas when I was in the tiny toilet, and from the bottom of the divider saw my "neighbour's" feet, and his underwear dropped on his feet... I could not see myself getting into the shower... I felt like a rat until the second I moved.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank JacquieYe

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I thought I were very openminded - and I really tried to convince myself that it was going to be fun to stay at the Whitehouse! But when I checked in I Found that the pictures on both the booking page and their own webpage did not match the reality. The checkin staff were really rude. I thought what the hell, I'll give it a try. I went to my room - a room is properly not the word, it was more like an animal stall. I gave it a try and slept there for the first night - but when i woke up and found a cockroach crawling on my bag, I checked out immediately! I know it is a cheap alternative to other expensive hotels on Manhattan - But I would rather pay some more for a real room!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ejner S
Queens, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2012

What can I say: I have a weakness for this place.

This is my third stay - despite a not super duper great experience back in 2008.

I love the concept and the price (you will not get anything cheaper in NY) so when I heard they reopened after a $100.000 renovation I was game.

They were pretty much booked when I in June 2012 booked a room, so I only got one night there.
Location on Bowery, 5 min walk to Bleecker St subway, and 7 min walk to Astor Place, bus M103 right outside means you can get around the city easily. Restaurants (yes, my favorite restaurant in NY as well as my fav. cafe) is around the block.

All rooms are private, in the sense that you will not have to sleep in the same room as strangers. You can lock a door and change your clothes.

For me - that's privacy when it comes to a hostel. Yes, you won't get a ceiling but a fence-looking thing. I don't mind that. Better air circulation that way.

You're not going to get a lot of space but enough to put your suitcase under the bed and a little closet to hang a few items.

The bathrooms doesn't look like they were renovated, but they're clean (just old and worn).

If you see a few older people, don't be afraid. They are permanent residents there. They were there before it became a hostel and due to NY law can't be evicted. They don't do any harm (so all you little girls stop complaining!) I've had conversations with a few of them, and they are very sweet.

Granted, staying at White House is an experience not for everybody. But if you're a backpacker and want to save your bucks, this is a good solution. And it's NYC - who comes to NYC to cozy up in their room. Getouttahere!

(review also write in danish on www.turistinewyork.dk/overnatning - my website)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank turistinewyork
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The Whitehouse is certainley one of a kind, where ever you may go. As for a $30 stay on Manattan come on! what more do you want? The place is a hostel not a starred hotel. As for the size of the "rooms", who goes to New York to sit in a hotel room all day? Not me, Im up n' out the door! When I stayed there I felt safe, secure and comfortable. It was clean and this is coming from a guy who was once described by a girlfriend as "Howard Hughes without the money". At one time I could not find my credit card. I searched every where for it. I eventually found it in the garbage can, were I had accidently put it! At no time did I think it had been stolen. Do yourself a favour and stay here as this place is part of American history. Im sure Jack Kerouac stayed here when on his travels.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I've stayed in dozens of back packer hostels and this was the worst. Photos on the website do not show there is no ceiling on your room so the 'private room' means you just have screens half way up to the roof. You can therefore see into the next room if you stand on your bed. It was a box room which would have been OK but the 'walls' (screens) were so thin you could hear everyone else breathing in the next room. Effectively a huge dorm with around 100 beds in with some screens up. Also the shared showers were very dirty. We stayed there for 5 nights as I was too ill to make alternative arrangements and other people's discarded toiletries remained in the showers the whole time. Also very noisy and got woken up every night by shouting people. Only good thing is the location - very convenient and nice bars and cafes on the same street.

One night we saw a bug in the bed but didn't know what it was.

On returning home I discovered I was covered in around 40 bites on my legs - it was a bed bug!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple