“Misleading Website; Ok for resting your head” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Amsterdam Inn

The Amsterdam Inn
Ranked #402 of 475 Hotels in New York City
Mount Pearl, Canada
“Misleading Website; Ok for resting your head”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

The staff at the Amsterdam Inn were really helpful and I felt very safe in the building. It was odd that they made you leave your room key at the desk every time you left the building, but maybe they have their reasons. The rooms are super old and not at all luxurious, but for people who just want to see New York as cheaply as possible (without full-on hostel environment) this is a great place for them. We just made sure we were locking up our suitcases every time we left the building. It was a great hotel for us because we literally left at 8am every day and returned 11pm or later, just to sleep. The beds were clean and the rooms, while very very old, were sufficient. There were shared bathrooms and it seemed like the staff spaced people out so there were a few people on each floor, meaning the bathrooms weren't crowded and the floors weren't noisy. I was comfortable there after the initial shock of the room passed.

If you look at the Amsterdam Inn's website you will notice they boast "Newly renovated rooms with kitchenettes"...this was certainly not the case when we stayed there. Maybe SOME rooms have kitchenettes, but we sure didn't. It was unfortunate because we had hoped to have breakfast food at the hotel every day to minimize eating out. This hotel does not provide facecloths. You get towels, you get soap, but no facecloths. There was a sink in the bedroom which was actually really nice.

The outlet in the room (there was only one) was extremely loose so charging our phones or plugging in a curling iron was almost pointless, as they would keep flicking on and off. If you want a hairdryer here you have to LEAVE your identification at the front desk while you have the appliance. Not joking. I asked if they could just photocopy it, they said no.

The person I traveled with actually found a cockroach in their bed one night. I understand that bugs sometimes just find their way in there, but it was gross. Another night someone used the shared shower on our floor and left his underwear and towels in the washroom for HOURS. You had to climb over them to get to the toilet. When I asked the person at the front desk to have someone come up to take care of it, he said nobody works in the evenings. So basically we had to wait for that person to re-visit the bathroom and realize they left their things.

This hotel starts on the second floor of a building, and they have multiple floors, and NO elevator or escalator. So you could have to lug your things up to the 4th floor. They say wireless internet is available, so I called the front desk to order this internet service, and the guy at the desk told me I had to call a company called Natural Wireless to have it set up. It seemed ridiculous.

On our floor there were 2 showers...one in the main bathroom and one in a single shower room. The door to the shower room didn't lock.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelgirl709

Turku
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

We enjoyed my stay in the Amsterdam Inn with my housband. We're students travelling with a budget and I think we got value for our money. The room was clean and kept clean the whole time. The size of the room was fine because we only needed it for sleep and rest. which we got (no disturbing noises).

There were quite a lot of stairs for someone with bad knees or something but we didn't mind them even with our luggage.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

I was travelling on my own and stayed in a small room on the third floor. The room was plain, but extremely clean and turned over daily with all towels etc replaced as required. There was even a reasonable television with cable for catching up on the news.

The staff were professional and happily arranged for my large suitcase to be carried up and down the stairs on arrival and checkout. This hotel is in an amazing location. A couple of blocks from Central Park and the Museum of Natural History, an easy walk to Broadway, and right on two main metro lines that run the length of Manhattan.

I would prefer to stay here over a mainstream hotel purely for the location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Barney666
Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

A friend and I took a quick one-night trip into the city, and we were on a budget, and this place is perfect for that. The staff is extremely nice and helpful, and the location could not be better for anywhere in the Upper West Side. Close to great restaurants and fun bars. While the rooms are kind of a step above a hostel, I did get lucky enough to be upgraded to a room with a private bath, so I was extremely grateful for that. It's great for one night, but probably not an extended visit. No elevator, like everyone here has said, and I did stay on the 4th floor, so lots of stairs...but who doesn't need the exercise? Really glad I found this place. I will stay there again if need be.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

1st let me say that the staff is extemely helpful, the beds are super comfortable an rooms are immaculate. I stayed on the 1st level so my room had a lil sink ,fridge, and microwave ...just so convenient especially if your on a budget. Heres the thing about this hotel 1. your in manhattan...so yes at most of any of these hotels your going to hear street level noise unless you stay at a high rise hotel where you can be placed on the 10th flr or above . the hotel gives you everything you need and the loction couldnt be better for the price. alot of these reviews are so misleading because travelers would like to pay motel 6 rates expecting a Ritz carlton hotel, I wish people would be more realistic when making travel plans ..in NEW YORK CITY you get what you pay for and in my opinion Amsterdam Inn offers a little more. You really cant beat their service , and location at their rates.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
new your
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at this quaint hotel for one week.Apon arrival we found the hotel to be very clean and the staff to be very pleasant and helpful.My husband and I had a room with a private bath the room was very clean and a nice size. We love this hotel so much that we will be back often, not only beause we enjoyed our stay but beause the location of the hotel is great! right in the heart of broadway, so we were never board and transportaion was very easy as well a lot of buses and trains and cabs so it made it easy to go back and forth. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone look for that new york experience and for more bang for their buck the as the private bath also came with a breakfast voucher and staff went out of their way to make us at home.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrnmrsrobinson
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

This was the worste hotel that I have ever stayed in! After climbing 17 stairs with heavy luggage and no offer of assistance from staff, the room was small, linens old and worn, beds were inproperly made no mattress pads, the noise from the bar below and the street was unbearable. The shower did not work, there were no towels and no extra pillows, or any other nicety that you would expect in any hotel. We were told that we would be given a coupon for a "free" bagel down the street which we never received, as it turned out, the bagel place turned out to be a dump too! Do not waste your money on this dump!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends