The Amsterdam Inn
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$318
$296
  • Room Service
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
$170
  • Pool
The Lucerne Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$322
$219
  • Restaurant
Kimpton Muse Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$267
$247
  • Restaurant
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$201
$134
$302
$269
Homewood
  • Breakfast included
  • Fitness center
Stewart Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$179
  • Room Service
The Kimberly Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$279
  • Pool
$420
Hotelpower.com
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 16, 2008

We stayed at the Amsterdam Inn for one night, we chose it because it was the cheapest we could find for that night and all the other hotels were very expensive. The main problem with this hotel is that there is no lift, we had to carry our two large cases up three flights of very steep stairs, but we did get some help from a member of staff.

The hotel room was generally clean as was the shared bathroom. The room was very very small and it was a struggle to open our suitcase because of the lack of space. Overall the hotel was fine for us as we only stayed for one night and were looking for some where cheap.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2008

Admittedly this hotel is on the cheap side for New York, but I wish we had forked out a bit more. It adjoins a large building site and the noise was inescapeable, add the clanking of the ancient (but very necessary) air conditioning and it was impossible to sleep. Breakfast was supposedly included, but it amounted to a voucher for a dirty bagel bar just up the road, that gave you a bagel and a drink with nowhere decent to sit and eat it.

Reviewed July 29, 2008

We spent 4 nights at the Amsterdam Inn in July. This was our first trip to NYC, and not wanting to pay the price of most hotels, I relied on Tripadvisor and other travel sites to research other options. I was looking for basic, clean, with private bathroom facilites.
The Amsterdam Inn met these and more. I must point out, we were on the first floor, in a "deluxe queen", so I can't speak for the upper floors (no elevator, and some shared bathrooms). We were very satisfied, and paid from $100 to $200 less per day than the average New York hotel rate. Restaurants are numerous, many are inexpensive, the subway staion is 3 blocks away, the buses run on Amsterdam Ave., it is 2 blocks to Central Park. The staff was friendly and helpful. Negatives: the one window looked out onto the construction of a new building and eventually will look at the wall, and also the bed sheets were thin.
We travel quite a bit, and normally stay in chain hotels like Quality Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc. This was very comparable, and I recommend the Amsterdam to anyone not demanding luxury.

Reviewed July 22, 2008

Stayed at the Amsterdam for 3 nights. Although it was not a disaster, I would not stay here again. It is for those on a very limited budget only. It has no charm or warmth. Because of the construction the corner is dusty and noisy. The actual construction noise was not that bad in the morning, although our room did not face the site. There are a lot of stairs and carrying your luggage can be a problem. (Although they did ask if we needed help when we checked in.) The check in desk is located one flight up from the street. The staff, although not nasty, are not very welcoming or friendly. The room was very tiny. There is the bed, sink, and dresser. Even an extra chair would have been nice, although I guess it wouldn't fit. The bed barely accomodated my husband and me and we are not very large people. It was not easy to sleep as the bed was pushed up against the wall. If you are tall or need extra room, forget it. The carpet was worn and didn't seem too clean. Be sure to bring flip-flops! To me, a smell permeated the room like air freshener covering up old smoke. The shower/bathroom was down the hall and smelled of bleach so I guess it was clean. We have stayed at The Bellclaire which is in the same neighborhood and also has shared bath rooms. I would definitely pay the extra to stay there or try another hotel next time.

Reviewed May 30, 2008

Stayed in The Amsterdam Inn for a week. Eventually we got used to the noise of the contractors next door who have been building a condo for the last year.

The accommodation is very basic but with good TV stations and decent showering facilities.

The staff were friendly but woke us up several times wanting to clean the room.

I think I would wait until the work had been finished before I stayed again

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AnnieTring