“Don't trust this hotel”

and 1 more site!
Envoy Club Suites
Ranked #427 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed here in June and booked (guaranteed) a two bedroom suite. Upon check-in I was told they didn't have one available and put us in 2 one-bedroom suites. I was told there was nothing they could do and it happens all the time. Really? How can they guarantee something and then say, never mind. It was not the girls weekend we had hoped for because we were in different rooms. Then the nightmare began. I complained about the fact that we weren't in a 2 bedroom and that the air conditioning didn't work in one of the rooms (not acceptable in June in NYC) we told the front desk and they said they'd fix it, well, they said it was frozen but working again, wrong, it wasn't and the mildew smell led me to believe it happened a lot. When I got home I called customer service but never got a response, my travel agent called and emailed and never got a response and American Express called and never got a response. I asked for a refund of one-half of my total bill (which I thought was fair). Luckily by using my AmEx card I let them handle it and received the refund. Now, 3 months later, this hotel got my Visa card number and is trying to get the rest of the money from them. Very shady. I have travelled all over the world and have never encountered a problem like this. Buyer Beware!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lorie D

Reviewed September 13, 2011

I have never written a review about any supplier before in 30 years in the travel business but....time's up! I am a travel agent who booked a client into the Envoy Club Suites for the express purpose of having the 2 bedroom unit. Three generations of women in one family were going to The City for a getaway celebrating the matriarch's birthday. I even spoke voice-to-voice twice with the reservations department prior to their arrival in order to append a credit card for guarantee and to be certain the 2-bedroom unit was guaranteed. When they arrived.....no 2 bedroom available! They were very casually told that "it happens all the time".
Long story short....they were separated; one room was adequate while the other lacked working air-conditioning in June and smelled of mildew. No one would return my calls. My client disputed some of the charges successfully but now the management is sneaking around and trying to charge another card that was originally just used for the guarantee. Unbelieveable! STAY AWAY!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 746Traveler1
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I stayed in the two bedroom apartment. On first impressions the room is impressive, very spacious with kitchen and living room. then the over powering musty smell hits you. The apartments are very worn and shabby, the more you look the more you find. The list of faults includes broken wash basin, dirty carpets, excrement found on the rear of my bathroom door, suspicious looking stains on the curtain, musty smell throughout. The bed linen was clean so I felt comfortable sleeping there but I did not walk barefoot anywhere else. The Aircon was noisy, but at least it worked. The windows were also very dirty. Its location is ok but a bit of a walk to the main areas, it is also noisy with lots of sirens outside, but I suppose you have to expect noise in New York. The roof terrace is good for sun bathing but no good views from up there.
A summary is that it is cheap for NY and spacious but not clean, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mezzas
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Stayed at The Envoy Club recently and have to say the location is fabulous, the front desk staff for the CONDO part of the lobby are very helpful and kind, and the price point is wonderful considering the location but the place could realy use some freshening. There was a large water/mold stain on the ceiling of the bathroom as well as cracked fixtures in the bath and lighting face plates. The wallpaper was beginning to peel at almost every seam and the sofa cushions flatten into a pancake after a small child sits on them for less than 5 minutes. The internet connection that you pay for is intermittent at best.

Its too bad actually because the location is first rate. Lots of restaruants in the area, food stores to stock the kitchen, and very convenient to the subway for sightseeing. Everyone in our party thought they would return to The Envoy if the rooms were fixed up even just a little, but there are too many other choices in the area to have rooms in this state.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed here for four nights in June and what a wonderful experience it was. The studio was roomy and so comfortable a home from home. Great bathroom and having a kitchen was a great help. It is very handy for travelling around and close to lots of great sights. Very safe, very clean cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Studio idea for a couple
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michael s
Reviewed August 12, 2011

They have well presented double bedrooms, private bathroom, little lung and kitchen.
One can eat in the room, not having to go to a restaurant. Envoy Club is very
near the UN building.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I booked this as an 'unlisted' hotel because we were trying to save money and thought the risk was worth it. Unlisted means you book through a site like hotwire and don't actually know which hotel it is until you complete the booking, you just know the price, general location and rating. Benefit of taking this risk = better price.

When I booked and saw it was Envoy Club I came here to read reviews and was a little concerned. They were hardly universally positive.

But after a week staying there I can say I was pleasantly surprised, and we thought it was perfect for what we were looking for.

Our room was big, very big by Manhattan standards. The neighbourhood was safe and reasonably convenient (Murray Hill is NOT in the absolute middle of Manhattan, so if this is what you want, choose another place), and the apartment style worked well for us. A doorman plus a staff member (most of the time) was enough to handle all of our requests.

The bed was comfortable, with nice clean sheets, and the room was dark, cool and quiet at night. The two airconditioning units handled the NY heatwave perfectly.

The kitchen wasn't new but it was clean and very usable. The bathroom was big and clean. As for the carpet - I'm not sure if we had new carpet or if previous reviews saw things that we didn't, but our carpet was 100% fine.

Internet wasn't free, but it worked very well (a lot better than many hotels I've stayed in) so I was happy.

My conclusion about Envoy Club is that it certainly wasn't as bad as some of these reviews make it sound. Whether you like it or not will all depend on what you are looking for - if you want something brand new, gives you the feeling of being right in the heart of Manhattan, has great views, and a really cool vibe, Envoy Club probably isn't the best bet.

However, if you want great space, very practical pleasant apartment style and excellent value, Envoy Club could be a great option. My fiance and I had both been to Manhattan before, so we didn't need a rockstar place, we just needed a place that was a decent size, good quality, reasonably located (we actually liked getting some extra walking by staying in Murray Hill) and good value. Envoy Club was all of that and we would have no hesitation in going there again.

Room Tip: We were in room 500
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple