“Modern and new Business Hotel”

Hyatt Place New York Midtown South
Ranked #148 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 13, 2013

hotel was quite newly opened. nice modern (good sized) rooms with decent sized bath rooms. breakfast buffet above average and fresh (even the coffee is good). rooms to the north have good views. location is ideal for tourists (walking distance to times square and empire state building).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here mid-September for a couple of weeks. It was our first visit to NYC and Michelle, Dana, Lauren, and Luz, employees from the front desk, hostess, to the repairmen, made our stay even more enjoyable.
The room is good size with a couch, large flat screen TV, mini refrig, a room safe and good size bath room. The WiFi worked great! The closet was a little tight, just large enough for 8 hangers. This place had very good blackout shades.
This is the first hotel I’ve stayed at with complimentary breakfast where you might wait in line to be seated. (This is a good thing.) If you arrive less than 15minutes before breakfast ends, it will be crowed and you will wait in a short line. Luz is the hostess and handles this with a smile.
Food wise there’s the usual cold cereal, pastry, toast, bagels, juice and coffee. There is also hot oatmeal with raisins, granola, and other toppings, a mixed fruit cobbler and grape fruit that my wife just loved! They also serve on a rotating basis: egg, cheese, and pesto on a English muffin, scrambled eggs, cheese omelet, and waffles.
I read comments about how long it takes to catch an elevator since there are only two. There are 26 floors in the hotel and I could see how you could wait for an elevator if you are on a low numbered floor. (Especially if breakfast is closing in 10 minutes.). Personally, I was on the 21th floor and do not recall people not being able to enter our elevator as we were heading down.
The location is great, 1 ½ blocks from the subway. There are small restaurants on both sides of the hotel and many more on 5th and 6th Ave, a half block away.
This place opened early this year and is in great shape with a staff who enjoy their jobs. I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: A room with a View gives you the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I just read the review from the party from Milan and felt bad for this family, we were also a party of three and I booked through hyatt gold passport, but another hotel in Philly I did a third party and paid for three, but I read about problems with three people so I always call the hotel directly confirm reconfirm and reconfirm and I get names dates even time that I call, and I usually speak to a supervisor. In this case I spoke to a very nice supervisor name Thomas before leaving to make sure I had two beds and there would be three people. I also spoke to Lauren to reconfirm, even though I did not go through a third party and went with hyatt, I still had to make sure. I am not sure why no one brought linens because when I called for toiletries they were delivered in a timely manner. As for the complaints on elevators we had no problems, as for other reviews on the breakfast, we thought for free breakfast it was good how can we complain there were two different types of eggs
delicious link sausage, either french toast or pancake, oatmeal, assorted cereals assorted danish,
bagels, muffins, assorted fruits, yogurt, granola, assorted juices, milk tea, coffee, for free breakfast I was very grateful. and if you wanted to take to your room you could take it up with the plate. there was always seating the entrees were always replenished the crew does. fine job in dining. out of the three hotels we stayed in during this east coast trip, philly, wilmington and hyatt my family and I hands down agreed hyatt had the most comfortable bedding. We have been to many hyatts, but because we were told new york was expensive and rooms smaller, we were still satisfied. we found the housekeeping to be neat and clean, the hotel walking distance to many places and also near penn station. the staff and management were nice I did not think anyone was rude, we had met nice people again like Thomas, Lauren, Michelle, Raul, ladies in the breakfast room and the elderly gentlemen who stand behind the fridge section with juices and snacks, sandwiches, pasteries, candies, not sure what their roles are they wear a suit, but thy were still pleasant. hotel is new and clean. we did have issues twice with our keys not working but that was resolved quickly and my daughter said they were very apologetic and nice about it. The only thing con would be when I asked about transport to jfk, they said there is no contact number for yellow cab, but they have contract with private cars and it would be sixty two dollars cash or sixty eight dollars charge, I later on found out after I returned home that there are a lot cheaper transportation with other private cars,
I also was not given a reciept, but I did not ask for one either since we were just trying to get all our bags out our driver was nice, but he kept looking ata his phone I dont think it was for directions, because he would know the route so I will not use them next times. My fault did not do my homework before leaving hawaii on the trsnsport back to airport just assumed we could call the cab
like all the other hotels, but hyatt said cabs had no number to call. other than that cant think of anything bad to say about this hotel. I feel we as travelers have to also do our homework and if you cant call overseas then at least email prior to arriving and document all your request, because you just cant always trust those third party bookings. and its nice to familiarize yourself with the staff before meeting them in person again by phone or email. thats my suggestion to all travelers just felt bad for the party from milan. anyway thank you hyatt for another great experience and special mahalo(thank you in hawaiian) to Thomas, Puala, Lauren. hope you guys enjoyed the goodies from hawaii. also giving excellent for value because we used points and anniversary and with free breakfast I say the value was worth one hundred stars. oh we also got a room where we could see part of the empire state building very close just right around the corner I think we had room 1203 with two beds. elevators were always ok for us and wait time not long at all also quiet as room is in the corner. but pull your shades since it is also directly acoss another building. and if you are platinum you get goodies from there little snack bar they give you a card.

Room Tip: we liked our room 1203 dont know what the other rooms are like we could see empire state building
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Last week I stayed at this hotel with my mum and my 24 years old sister. We booked on Booking.com a room for 3 ADULT PEOPLE. When we arrived at the hotel, after a long flight from Milan, we had a bad surprise: our room had only one double bed and one sofa, not even a sofa bed! You can see it in the pictures: it was a small couch (I am 1,75 m tall and I could not stretch out my legs!) and of course there were no sheets. I went to the reception, sure that there was a mistake, but they told me that that was the room that I booked. I insisted so they told me that I had to call Booking.com; we did it and they told me the same thing. The worst thing is that they already had this problem, because one of the two girls at the reception said to the other one: always the same problem with the 3 people room on booking.com! The hotel tried to blame Booking because they have been not clear, and Booking was trying to do the same with the hotel. The only thing I know is that I paid for 3 ADULTS, more than 1.600 $, to sleep one week on a couch!
Another woman was having the same problem, but she was with her two children so maybe they managed to sleep in one bed. That was not the case for us, and I repeat that I paid one room for three Adults.
There was no way to change the room, and they asked me if I wanted to pay to get a single room!!! Luckily, one of the two girls at the reception was helpful (the other one was even rude) and she managed to cancel my reservation, and we got a room for 3 (that means with two double beds) at the Holiday Inn next door. We had to stay at the Hyatt Place only one (terrible) night, and they charged us € 308 for sleeping on a sofa. We asked to have at least some sheets for the couch, and they never arrived.
My suggestion is to avoid this hotel! The rooms are not bad, but really standard. I think you can find something better in NY, and most of all a better service!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Francesca M
Reviewed November 5, 2013

If you are looking for a great location outside of the usual touristy areas, like Times Square and want to be away from the crowds then this is a great choice. There are a few qualifiers, it's NYC so, there are always going to be people but it's not the craziness and all the tourists that you have in Times Square.

However, you are just a few blocks from Macy's and Herald Square which can get crowded but 36th street where the hotel is located is relatively quiet. There is a Best Westen and Holiday Inn on either side of this property, which was interesting, but all 3 hotels are "small" in a good way, by NYC standards.

We chose this location for a couple of reasons. We wanted to explore NYC and have a good base to do it from. It's conveniently located, there are subways nearby but everything is so walkable in NY and its less that a 30 minute walk to Union Square. About the same to the Highline park. Our main reason for staying here is we wanted a smaller hotel outside of the usual tourist areas. This was a perfect choice for us. Once you are through the doors, in the lobby or in your room its very peaceful.

We have also stayed in other Hyatt Place hotels around the country, so we had some familiarity in what to expect. However, while the rooms are very comfortable and this is a new hotel, the rooms are a bit smaller than say the Hyatt Place at Salt Lake City Airport. But then again, this is NYC and chances are you aren't going to be spending too much time in your room. So, even with smaller rooms you still have your king size bed, large screen tv, free internet etc. I should add that they do a great job with the size of the room. There are also the usual Hyatt Place amenities, like a nice sitting area in the lobby, there is another area outside, which is a nice touch, as well as a pantry and free breakfast.

Just a word about that: there are plenty of options to buy stuff, there is a store just a few doors down, a Duane Reade drugstore around the corner which has everything and there are restaurants on the same street as the hotel and all over NYC. But if you forgot to get anything and didn't want to go out, its nice to have stuff available at the front desk.

The breakfast is what you might expect and it comes with your stay. So, its convenient and easy. Not too many "healthy" options, and given that this is New York City, you would think they would have better bagels. At best these are generic food service bagels. Other than that its a nice breakfast area, it's clean and lots of seating.

Before staying here, I noted that some of the reviews mentioned only 2 elevators and some other complaints. We never had to wait for an elevator. Our room was spotless. Staff at the front desk was friendly, and we enjoyed our stay and will be back again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank travelguyfromflorida
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed one night for anniversary to stroll around the city and see a show. The hotel was a short walk from Penn station on a reasonably quiet street just off of 5th avenue. The room was quiet and the bed was so comfortable that we overslept and missed the breakfast! We will definitely be back...

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My last review elicited a response from the then GM that he was sorry about some issues I raised but things would be better the next time! Could they be even more worse? YES. And they seem proud of it!
This time I thought I would reach out to the GM and remind him of my last stay letting him know of my return. Also that I needed an ADA room as my wife just had knee replacement surgery First surprise, there was a new GM Brashler who came from Marriott (I was told to write him at his old address). 2 emails to him and no response. Finally a nice note from Ms. Cardone Director Guest Services who not only confirms ADA room but gives some information on parking etc. So I checked in at 2:28 pm today. Rude front office supervisor curtly does not acknowledge ADA room confirmation but reminds me its not 3 pm and she will call me when room is ready. BY 3:22 pm and my room isn’t ready and the front desk says they don’t know when it will be ready. My wife is ready to drop with her knee pain and I go over and mention my prior communications and I'm not going to write a better review this time around. Suddenly 1 minute later, room 2502 becomes available. Doorman has gone by now so we lug all of our luggage and I rush to find ice for the machine. No ADA room and a tub. Now my wife has to very carefully navigate herself around and worry about damaging her leg. All this horrible service for a Platinum member.

Weird thing is right next door is a Holiday Inn Express were we have stayed before without any issues.

I did reach out social media to HyattConcierge and they indicated they would follow up on this. Not sure what they can do since we are in the only room we were given and not about to unpack everything including the ice machine!

My tip...stay at the Holiday Inn Express but give this place a wide pass until it improves.

Room Tip: Good luck since our ADA confirmed room wasn't even honored!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family