“Amazing Hotel and Staff”

Hyatt Place New York Midtown South
Ranked #147 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Amazing Hotel and Staff”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Hi, Stayed at this hotel for 10 days with my wife and 3 kids while on holiday in New York, staff were amazing, complimentary breakfast was really good and the staff at the breakfast are so helpful.
Really clean hotel, absolutely no problems, clean rooms, clean bathroom, free wifi in hotel
Close to all major attractions in NY, enjoy your stay at this lovely hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jason C, General Manager at Hyatt Place New York Midtown South, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thanks for the feedback, and the recommendation! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, complimentary breakfast and wireless internet access, convenient location, and most importantly the staff; we could not do it without them!

Thanks again for the feedback. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to NYC.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
colorado
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Place April 8 & 9 and had a great stay.

The hotel is centrally located and clean. It was worth the six block walk to Times Square if it saved $100 per night. Penn Station is close by and so if Madison Square Garden.

My room was on the 25th floor and faced the Empire State Building. (See Photo) When I walked into the room, it felt like home. I spend a fair amount of time in hotel rooms and there was something about this room that felt welcoming. The furnishings were modern, the shower was huge and I enjoyed the room.

Maybe it was the timing that I arrived and left the room, but I never had a problem with the elevators. Everyone is correct that there are only two elevators for 26 floors and I had concerns about availability of them during the busy times of the day. I do not think I ever had to wait than 2-3 minutes for an elevator. .

I travel to NYC 4-7 times a year and am looking to my next stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the feedback! There is really no better compliment than to hear that we were able to make a guest feel ‘at home.’ I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and guestroom, found the location convenient and hotel clean.

I am also pleased to hear that the elevator service met your expectations. The maintenance issues that we experienced shortly after our opening have been resolved. While it is true that the facility is only equipped with two elevators to move both guests and staff, we work diligently to strategically move our team members and supplies around the building during ‘off-peak’ times so as to maximize available elevator service for our guests; it appears to be working. We are also currently working on several other solutions in order to improve this service even further for future guest’s convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback. I look forward to the opportunity to be of service again on your next visit to NYC.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. If you do not care about customer service and getting to places on time do not stay here. The staff besides one person was rude! The manager was not accommodating at all and did not do anything to help make our stay better. We were promised a king room with a pull out bed and did not get it. She was supposed to call Hotel.com and get back to me and she never did. She told me to go find another hotel. What kind of manager is that? She needs to be fired! The elevators suck just as much as she does. You can press the button to call the elevator and then go watch a show because by the time it comes I'm sure the show will be over! Room service, there is none. The "cafe" they have available 24/7 is the receptionist and there is only one person on duty at night. I waited a long time for a cake that could have been done in 30 seconds. Never again!

3 Thank alelicea_11
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your visit to the Hyatt Place New York/Midtown-South. I am disappointed to hear of the issues that you encountered and that we fell short of your expectations on several aspects of your stay. I apologize sincerely for the issues that you encountered. We take the service of our guests very seriously and work hard to ensure a problem free experience for each; with that being said, admittedly, we sometimes fall short.

Please know that the experiences you describe are certainly not typical of the high levels of service that we strive to provide to each of our guests. It is very important to us that that each of our guests leave our property satisfied with every aspect of their stay, and looking forward to their return.

Thank you again for your feedback and for having chosen the Hyatt Place New York/Midtown-South. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity in the future to demonstrate the high level of service that our guests have come to expect from Hyatt Place.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Having read some of the reviews prior to our visit I have to say that I was wondering whether or not I had made the right choice of hotel for the trip my wife and two kids (11 and 14) were making from the UK. Thankfully, there was nothing to worry about. While there's no grand marble entrance and glistening chandeliers (which, for an extra $250 per night your could easily have) reception is clean, efficient and staffed by some very enthusiastic Hyatt employees.

We had an issue straight away as our first room would only sleep two, but the staff were quick to react and resolve the issue. The hotel location was perfect for our trip. Within 5-10 minute walks we could be at Macy's, Times Square, Penn Station, 5th Avenue, etc.

We ended up in the double queen room. The room was very clean and presented extremely well, the TV was great and had the option for us to hook in our iPad to watch some of the content we brought with us. Bathroom was a good size, nice shower but no bath. I would request a room with a bath next time rund after all the walking we were doing!

We took advantage of the a.m. Skillet each morning which provided a great range of food, something for all the family from fruit/cereal to hot sandwiches from the hot plate. This being free would save a family like ours about $30-$40 a day on having to eat out for breakfast. Staff were constantly ensuring that nothing ran out, even though it was a pretty busy place around 9am each morning. The potential drawback is how busy it can get in the morning. We were lucky in that we always found a table, but I did notice times when people were having to hang around for a table to clear. It's not the biggest eating area in the world so I'd definitely be tempted to beat the rush each morning and get downstairs for 8:30 at the latest. Means you'll have more of the day to enjoy in the city.

Overall, I would not hesitate to use the hotel again, either for business or pleasure. The combination of location, price, cleanliness, facilities and staff make this a hard place to beat. As for the elevators, we didn't have any issue with them at all, and we were on the 23rd floor. I think the problems have to be down to snagging given that the hotel is so new.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing south - great views of the Empire State Building!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to the Hyatt Place New York/Midtown-South. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, found the facility clean and well located, guestroom comfortable and well appointed, price right and staff enthusiastic.

I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast offering. We offer the Hyatt Place a.m. Kitchen Skillet™ breakfast, featuring freshly prepared breakfast sandwiches, French toast, pancakes, steel cut oatmeal, etc., available daily in our Guest Kitchen. While breakfast is served from 6:30AM-9:00AM Monday through Friday, and 7:00AM-10:00AM on Saturday and Sunday, as you mentioned it is always a good idea to get there a little early, (as it is at its busiest just before it’s conclusion).

As for the elevator issues previously commented on, and as you mentioned, I am pleased to report that they have been resolved.

Thank you again for the feedback. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to NYC.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night, traveling solo. The location was excellent as I had an early train out of Penn Station.

After reading about the elevator issues, I asked for a room on a lower floor. However, the elevator situation appears to have been resolved. There were no lines or waits during my stay.

The front desk staff were super friendly. My room was surprisingly spacious (even for a hotel in the City!). Free wifi and a mini fridge are nice perks. I found the breakfast included every I could want. It's definitely a nice touch for a mid-priced hotel.

There was indeed a fair amount of street noise, but I'm originally from the city so I'm used to it. I was actually surprised when the street noise subsided at 11:30.

I want to commend and thank the staff for keeping breakfast open for me after its official closing time and for offering to bring coffee up to my room after I noted that the coffee maker in my room was broken. Thanks!

• Stayed April 2013
Jason C, General Manager at Hyatt Place New York Midtown South, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to share it. I am pleased to that you enjoyed your stay, found the location convenient, guestroom spacious and breakfast offerings sufficient. Most importantly, I am happy to hear that you felt well taken care of by the staff; that is what we are here for!

Also, as you mentioned, I am pleased to report that our elevator issues (previously commented about on this site) have been resolved.

Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Three of us stayed at this hotel for the first time. Great location with ample parking garages nearby. Wonderful restaurants especially Korean.. Breakfast was great and Mr. Mohammad Khan and his crew are outstanding and provide excellent service. Mr. Khan definitely made a difference in our stay. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for the feedback and the recommendation! I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the breakfast, the location and most importantly…the staff! Mr. Khan and his team are top notch! I will be sure to share your feedback with him and the entire team. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to NYC.
Marin County, California
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was really hoping that this would be our family's new hotel, but i would not stay there again. As almost everyone else has noted, there is a real problem with the elevators, even when they were both working. I built in an extra 30 minutes to our departure time each day because we were touring colleges and could not be late for appointments. We were on the top floor so once the elevator arrived, it was empty and we could get on, but people on lower floors did not fare as well since it would fill up after 3 or so stops. We would then have to stop at almost every floor since people were waiting so long and no one could get on--I felt bad one family missed their train. There were definitely a lot of upset travelers. The breakfast is mediocre. if you get down there before 8:00 there is usually no problem and a couple of days we went down at 7:30 got our food and brought it up to the room. I booked a double queen with a sleeper sofa for me and my teenage daughter. We had a view of the Empire State Bldg., which was great, but the rooms are very small and you can really hear the street noise. We usually stay at the Doubletree Suites on Times Square which is a much noisier location and i never notice the street noise. Also beds are very hard, there are not enough plugs for charging electronic and there is no counter space in the bathrooms. They could have easily put a shelf under the sink so you could store your toiletries but didn't and there are no towel bars, even though there is plenty of room on the wall for two bars. Note to any hotel interior designers, if you're going to leave guests a card asking them to re-use their towels to help save our planet, you should probably install a towel bar for them to put them on so they can dry.
Finally, there is virtually no service at this hotel. Front desk staff is friendly, but very weak. While I was checking in, the desk clerk answered a call for a food request and had no paper available to write it on. She forgot the room number but had said it out loud so i was able to repeat it to her. Also, My husband was joining us mid-stay so we left a key for him at the front desk in an envelope with his name. when he got there no one could find it so they gave a new key, but rekeyed the room so i was locked out. no big deal but going back down on the elevator to get a new key was a half hour outing. This hotel is way overpriced for what you get.

4 Thank TJFine1
Jason C, General Manager at Hyatt Place New York Midtown South, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your visit to the Hyatt Place New York/Midtown-South. I am disappointed to hear that we fell short of your expectations on several aspects of your stay and apologize sincerely for the issues that you encountered. We take the service of our guests very seriously and work hard to ensure a problem free experience for each; with that being said, admittedly, we sometimes fall short. I did want to take just a moment to address a couple of topics mentioned.

First, please know that we recognize the inconvenience that maintenance challenges like delayed elevator service can create, and work tirelessly to resolve issues such as these as soon as possible. Unfortunately, as is often the case, it took longer than we would have liked. With that, I am pleased to report that the issues that you experienced have been resolved, and we continue to monitor the situation closely to ensure that we make these systems as efficient as possible for the convenience of our future guests.

I also wanted to elaborate on our complimentary breakfast offering. We offer the Hyatt Place a.m. Kitchen Skillet™ breakfast, featuring freshly prepared breakfast sandwiches, French toast, pancakes, steel cut oatmeal, etc., available daily in our Guest Kitchen. While breakfast is served from 6:30AM-9:00AM Monday through Friday, and 7:00AM-10:00AM on Saturday and Sunday, it is always a good idea to get there a little early, (as it is at its busiest just before it’s conclusion).

Thank you again for your feedback and for having chosen the Hyatt Place New York/Midtown-South. I apologize again for the issues that you encountered and hope that you will allow us another opportunity in the future to demonstrate the high level of service that our guests have come to expect from Hyatt Place.