“Unexpected delight”

Cuisines: French, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: between Prince & Stanton Streets
Transit: B, D, F and M at Broadway/Lafayette. F at 2nd Avenue. J at Bowery. 6 at Spring Street or Bleecker Street. N or R at Prince Street.
Description: Hez Jef offers traditional French bistro fare like steak frites, traditional pate campagne maison & crepe souflee "suzette" in a casual environment. The restaurant features a full bar with an emphasis on French wines, hand-crafted cocktails & both Belgian & American beers.
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We had been walking around and had just been in the Contemporary Museum when we stumbled on the Bowery Diner - it didn't look particularly promising but we were tired and hungry so gave it a go, and were very pleased that we did. The service was relaxed but efficient and friendly. My husband had a hot pastrami sandwich which he loved and I had the Croque Monsieur - we were both pleased with our choices.

1  Thank LondonTheatregirl

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Service was great. Even the other gal working that wasn't our server was friendly and funny. I had the duck confit hash. Yum! Bacon was lacking though. Get better bacon! They should ask their rep about Daileys or Nueskes. Apparently I am a bacon expert. Lol My bf just had the standard two egg breakfast and he enjoyed. I had a couple mimosas and he had an awesome mescal margarita...... It was a late breakfast.... Lol. Was kinda pricey but was worth it.

1  Thank AmusedDaffodil
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Excellent service, food and cocktails at a reasonable price. I ordered a salmon tartar and the fish was very fresh and well presented. Free wifi.

2  Thank SandraSandraSandraFC
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I'd been tracking down William Burroughs last New York City domicile, and I was tired and thirsty and my feet ached, and here was this cool little diner, so I just had to check it out. They made a good Bloody Mary, and then I had a bowl of chili and a beer. The chili was some great concoction with black beans rather than kidney, and of course, Bloody Mary too, was perfect!

The diner just was just a good find on one of the more interesting streets on Lower East Side...I also tried some pretty good draft beers on the second occasion.

1  Thank geff t
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We had breakfast here and ordered the confit duck hash and the eggs Benedict. Great food and huge portions and they got us through most of the day until dinner. Nice and friendly service and a classic old style diner interior. Good coffee with free refill. A little bit more expensive than the average diner, but with it.

1  Thank piggybag